**** DONE: GB-49 1/48 Mosquito B.XVI - Favourite A/C of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks chaps, and yes Andy, as far as I'm aware, that's correct. Also, in many "official" photos, the Gee antenna was removed by the censor.
On Gee-equipped Mosquitos up to and including the B.IX / PR.IX, and the FB series, the antenna was normally mounted through the rear canopy, offset to port. However, when visible on the B.XVI onwards, it was mounted on the mounting point for the original H.F. post antenna mast, aft of the cockpit. I'm guessing that this was because the B.XVI had a pressurised cockpit, but I may be wrong !

All the final bits are on, with the exception of the boarding ladder, which will be fitted when the model is attached to the display base, and the model itself is now done !

Pics 1 and 2. Entrance door attached. There should really be a thin, black rubber seal around the edge of the hatch opening, and the door, but I found it too difficult to access in order to paint such a fine line, due to the angles.
Pic 3. Props lightly weathered and fitted.
Pic 4. Gee antenna, made from stretched sprue and mounted as explained above.
Pic 5. Pitot tube fitted and painted, although I need to "smooth out " the Dark Green. I really wish kit manufacturers would make the sprue attachment points on the ends of such items, rather than on the main body, as the attachment snubs are a real pain to remove fully. !!
Pics 6 and 7. Done ! The completed model sitting on the bare display base. This is about to have the wood edge trim stained, and the "groundwork" will be added tomorrow (or more correctly, later today ) and, when fully set, the model will be attached to the base, after brushing it down to remove dust and handling marks etc.

I'll post the "Finished" thread sometime tomorrow, once the base is finished, meanwhile, many thanks again for the interest and kind comments during the course of this project.

Mosquito B.XVI build 001.JPG
Mosquito B.XVI build 002.JPG
Mosquito B.XVI build 005.JPG
Mosquito B.XVI build 006.JPG
Mosquito B.XVI build 007.JPG
Mosquito B.XVI build 009.JPG
Mosquito B.XVI build 013.JPG

Thanks chaps, and yes Andy, as far as I'm aware, that's correct. Also, in many "official" photos, the Gee antenna was removed by the censor.
On Gee-equipped Mosquitos up to and including the B.IX / PR.IX, and the FB series, the antenna was normally mounted through the rear canopy, offset to port. However, when visible on the B.XVI onwards, it was mounted on the mounting point for the original H.F. post antenna mast, aft of the cockpit. I'm guessing that this was because the B.XVI had a pressurised cockpit, but I may be wrong !

All the final bits are on, with the exception of the boarding ladder, which will be fitted when the model is attached to the display base, and the model itself is now done !

Pics 1 and 2. Entrance door attached. There should really be a thin, black rubber seal around the edge of the hatch opening, and the door, but I found it too difficult to access in order to paint such a fine line, due to the angles.
Pic 3. Props lightly weathered and fitted.
Pic 4. Gee antenna, made from stretched sprue and mounted as explained above.
Pic 5. Pitot tube fitted and painted, although I need to "smooth out " the Dark Green. I really wish kit manufacturers would make the sprue attachment points on the ends of such items, rather than on the main body, as the attachment snubs are a real pain to remove fully. !!
Pics 6 and 7. Done ! The completed model sitting on the bare display base. This is about to have the wood edge trim stained, and the "groundwork" will be added tomorrow (or more correctly, later today ) and, when fully set, the model will be attached to the base, after brushing it down to remove dust and handling marks etc.

I'll post the "Finished" thread sometime tomorrow, once the base is finished, meanwhile, many thanks again for the interest and kind comments during the course of this project.

View attachment 623694View attachment 623695View attachment 623696View attachment 623697View attachment 623698View attachment 623699View attachment 623700
It looks fabulous Terry!! Looking forward to seeing you,Karl & the model on Wednesday evening at Sywell!!!

Thanks very much my friends.

Good news, and bad news !
The bad news is that Max's Buchon flight at Sywell on Thursday has been postponed ( again ! ) due to weather concerns.
The good news, from my perspective, is that it allows me an extra day to get the base finished, the model affixed, and the whole lot packed for transport, without having to rush things at the last moment.
Karl and I are now travelling on Thursday, instead of Wednesday, staying overnight as planned, and then continuing on to Norfolk on Friday, to assess the damage to my caravan, and plan for cleaning and any repairs, and with luck, we can still meet-up with Max to hand over the model - just waiting to hear from him to confirm things.
All being well, I should have some pics of the model on the completed display base, possibly tonight, or tomorrow at the latest, depending on how long it takes for everything to set and dry.

Thanks Geo. Shame about the postponement of Max's "Buchon" flight, but I'm sure we'll have an enjoyable time, all the same. It'll be good to get "out and about", after the last 7 months of UK lockdown.

Just waiting for the "groundwork" on the display base to fully set, before painting the "concrete" for the dispersal pan, and adding some grass at a couple of the edges.
Meanwhile, here's a pic of the title / info card that will accompany the model. Note that I've obliterated the e-mail address for posting on the forum.

Mosquito B.XVI build. 004.JPG

Thanks, Wayne and Wojtek.

Getting a tad concerned, as the card glued to the base is still too damp to paint, even though it's been stuck down for 24+ hours !
I'm hoping that it will be dry enough by late this afternoon, then I can get it painted and weathered, and attach the model. If not, then I'm in trouble !!
Back later with pics of the completed display - I hope !!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back