**** DONE: GB-51 1:48 Lockheed S-3B Viking - No Propellers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
Username: fubar57
First name: George
Category: Advanced
Manufacturer: Italeri
Model: S-3B Viking Kit No. 2623
Scale: 1:48

This is hopefully a mojo rebuilder. A reboxing of the original Esci/AMT offering from the 80's and offered by Italeri in 2010. My subject

Untitled.jpg

Screenshot 2021-08-14 142619.jpg

1629085918398.png

Got a start on some plastic finally. After reading some reviews, it turns out that one can build the entire aircraft and then insert the cockpit at the end. Once I've finished cleaning up the fuselage, I'll test drive the cockpit and see if its true. Wings, horizontal stabs, some of the innards and the replacement canopy.

IMG_0003.JPG

Close-up of the seats and canopy, which I started painting years ago. The interior above the consoles and canopy were painted black. The console and instrument panel detail are decals but I'm not too worried about the lack of details as the canopy is so dark

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

There is a small amount of flash on many of the parts but to be expected for 40+ year old molds

IMG_0002.JPG

Plus some whacking great attachment points; this is the nose section of the fuselage

IMG_0001.JPG

This is quite a large model so photos will be a challenge once things start coming together. Looking at the photos that Don and Wojtek so kindly provided shows that I will have to remove a few of the molded on antennae and relocate a couple, notably the one on top of the fin, the large one on top of the fuselage and two on the bottom of the fuselage. Some interior colour thoughts shortly

Same boat. I have one old US-3A and an S-3B I think. I picked up a wing fold and tail fould set from Wolfpack and a few detail sets from Black Dog. Love it. Nice picture.

Hey George, if you FB there is a group for this aircrafts. Aircrews and maintenance personnel. They will answer questions pretty quickly. I had questions about weapons load and how many torpedoes would be in a normal load. I got everything from "I've never seen a torpedoe" to one or two with two Mk84 bombs".

Thanks guys. Don, not a Facebookianiter so I have to pass. I do have the excellent Lock-on S-3B book by Willy Peeters though. I had always thought that the U.S. Navy had wheel wells that were coloured white so as to spot leaks easier but this doesn't seem to be the case with the S-3B. It almost looks like RLM02

1629160359525.png

Fiddling around while waiting for the camp bus. Esci/AMT/Italeri has quite a few hatches open/closed options and of course the closed options usually put up a fight. The entry hatch is no exception as the bottom stands proud. There is also no detail inside the fuselage at this entry so closed it will be. The bottom lip needed to be filed down

a.jpg

It is now glued in place and resting comfortably. I did a test fit of the cockpit to the taped together fuselage and while it can be shoe-horned into place, the fit is better if the cockpit is glued to the right fuselage half as instructed. The forward nose-gear well also needs to be attached to the bottom of the cockpit so if one waits until later and the cockpit is misaligned a bit, the well will be out also. Have a good week gentlemen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back