**** DONE: GB-52 1:48 Boeing B-29 - Heavy Hitters IV

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Still don't know what brush you're talking about but it seems you're doing the right thing. Any chance you are holding it with the nose tilted up at times?

Sorry about that; H & S Evolution. I think I do subconsciously do tilt it back due to a couple of nasty spills while the AB was tilted forward. I'll need to figure out a way to get that area thoroughly cleaned. I think my Iwata came with a cleaning kit, just need to find it

Watching this with interest, George, My brother had this kit as a kid and he gave it uncompleted to me. If I can remember, the nacelles are a pig to fit, because of the lack of locating pins. The wings just butt up to the fuselage as well, although there are two supporting spars, but there's nothing to guide them into place, so a lot of gluing and making of locating pins for the wing-to-fuselage join. There are issues with the fit of the rear gunner's bay in the tail, too, I think. Mating the interior floors can cause problems in joining the fuselage, so test fit everything. The bubble transparencies for the remote turret positions also don't locate well, I think they are designed to be fitted prior to putting the fuselage halves together.

Lots to watch out for. It looks great when finished though.

Thanks Grant. You've pretty well summed up my misery. I have fit the rear gunners bay in place on the right fuselage and the fit threw the rear section out of whack by about 1.5mm. I clipped and filed down the parts that slot into the left fuselage and the fit was far better. I'm going to add some plastic card into the nacelles to give the cowlings something to grab onto but there may be other issues. I'm also thing of adding "L" shaped plastic strip for cockpit supports.

No worries George, it was a long time ago, but it was a challenge for a 16 year old with marginal skills. Another problematic area is the main undercarriage bays and fitting them to the lower wing halves. Again, tabs need to be made to secure them into place. I vaguely remember that the bomb racks in the bomb bay need to be bent into shape too as they don't match the fuselage contours. I used hot water on one in the end, but my brother deliberately broke them into sections and glued them individually, which produced workable results for a teenager's efforts.

I used CA and when it was almost set I used TET. Just realized I need to remove some flash. Arrow is pointing at the "L" shaped plastic strip I added for the cockpit floor. Its actually now "V" shaped. Once the glue had set I slowly pinched it together and test fit the floor. This is because of the contour of the fuselage

IMG_1670.JPG

Not too bad Dave. I'm using a Tamiya Fine Craft Saw to remove the parts so minimal sanding is required but way too much flash and mould seams. Doing the cockpit detail work now and may have something to show in a bit.

Finally, stuff to show. Cockpit floor with a bit added. Can't find photos of the two round thangs on either side console so I left them as is. The Interior Green is my mix and that on the dome in front is Mr. Hobby. Mine could be a tad greener...a work in progress. Note the colour change to a darker shade in the bottom photo

IMG_1671.JPG

I found a new red that brush paints very well, just used one coat; Game Color Scarlet Blood

IMG_1675.JPG

Family of seats and Flight Engineers console. Still need to colour some knobs and touch up the seats

IMG_1678.JPG

Still a lot to do before I can close this up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back