**** DONE: GB-57 1/48 P-51K / Mk.IV Mustang - WW2 Foreign Service

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice bit of decoration Andy and agree a bit of weathering should sort the paintwork out on the wheel bay. Like the ID lenses as well, seems we have to keep our wits about us with some of these instructions, I often come across ones that just don't work as they say. Also be sad if you don't stick with it, there is a limit to how many kits you can polish off in a Zombie build. :D

Thanks for the comments guys. Just letting you know that the intent is to push on and get this one done in the next 3 weeks. Still doing some minor filling on the wing details before assembling it all together.

Last edited:
Wings are now filled and sanded smooth where appropriate and the loose ailerons and flaps have been glued in place. I opted for the dropped flaps. The wheel wells have been given a wash to hide the mistakes.

23051601.jpg
23051602.jpg

Once all this is dry, the next step will be to assemble the wing to the fuselage.

Wing is on. In my opinion, Airfix have engineered this kit in such a way that the moulds demand very tight tolerances to ensure a good fit. In the case of the wing-to-fuselage joint and the insert that forms the lower cowl and bottom half of the wing leading edge up to the landing gear strut, they almost pulled it off. I had to do a lot of filing and trimming of seams to get the parts to come together and still needed above average force to make it work. The starboard wing fairing has a small step that I could not get rid of and I think the issue is that the shape of the wheel well part, which fits tight to the wing upper half, doesn't match the fairing curvature and I resigned myself to accepting the step as is. The only way to get rid of it would have been to apply excessive local clamping force and I just didn't want to build up that much stress in the glued joints.

Anyway, here's a pic of the togetherness with the lower cowl still clamped. The wing leading edges have not been glued yet as they will need their own clamps to pull the seams together and I just didn't want to fuss too much at once.

23051701.jpg

Thanks guys. Vic, generally I have found the fit to be pretty good but when you build your kit, do a lot of dry fitting to understand what you are dealing with. There are a lot of parts that interact and any one or more that are slightly out of line can cause problems. I never could figure out what was causing the small step in the wing root fairings and despite trimming a lot of plastic it is still there:

23051802.jpg
23051803.jpg

As you can see, it's not really bad. I guess it will match the oversized seam lines! Anyway, as you'll note above, the wing leading edges have been glued and the only way to hold them together was to use tape. With the wing on, I also added the horizontal stabs which went fine. There's plenty of adjustment possible so I made sure the srufaces were properly aligned with the wings and fin.

23051801.jpg

Here are the joints on the lower cowl that needed some force to bring into alignment. As you can see, lining up the forward section of the seam resulted in a step at the rear part near the wing and there doesn't seem to be a way around this.

23051804.jpg
23051805.jpg

There's noting major here that a little filing and rescribing won't fix so, all in all I'm satisfied with how it's come together. Thanks again for your continued interest and yes Vic, I'm doing my best to get her done.

EDIT: Argh, damn close-ups! I see a couple of bubbles on the wing uppers that will need to be filled.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back