**** DONE: GB-57 1/48 Savoia Marchetti SM.79 - WW2 Foreign Service

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

PXL_20230405_161254226.jpg
PXL_20230405_161316582.jpg

I've managed to assemble the two halves of the fuselage with minimal trauma to myself, and attached the gondola, the horizontal and vertical tail surfaces.

I think I'm going to assemble this kit with MINIMAL effort, because it's really not nice. There are so many inaccuracies and deviations from the plans I've found that I'd probably prefer a more modern kit to do a decent job. This will fill the "looks like a Sparviero" niche for me, so will do the job, but probably near the back of my shelf.

Next steps- fill the seams, file them down and attach the wings, more filler and sanding.

Well, it's had the first coat of paint- rattlecan primer. I've used liquid mask on the clear bits. Next is the uppers (brush-paint), so that I can mask and rattlecan the yellow on.

PXL_20230425_103607609.jpg
PXL_20230425_103553982.jpg

I WILL beat this kit into submission.
It won't be perfect. Heck, it won't even be good, just acceptable is my only aim now.

I managed to get the first layer of dark brown on (it's still damp in the picture). The instructions show a Yugoslav machine, which is apparently the provenance of CQ+HQ. That means I can use the Smer guide for the pattern. I have used Dark Earth for the brown, and will be using Italian green for the green part.
PXL_20230426_064133212.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back