**** DONE: GB-61 1/48 F4U-1A Corsair - Carrier and Maritime Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Spoke too soon. I'm getting over this.
Shaking hands and micro surgery do not mix!
This may be the end of engine wiring for me!
GB61-02.jpg

So That up there aside!
Cockpit is my target now..................
Didn't like the way the seat looked so heavy around the edges.
So........... ifiled and sanded it to a curve, course then it didn't fit
the seat "rails". This required me to snip and tuck the mount behind.
Cut that back so the seat fit deeper, now the adjustment rails behind
contact the seat. I mat do a little more hacking away on the rails!
GB61-03.jpgGB61-04.jpg

Bill - I'm considering jumping in this GB with a 1:72 Tamiya version, the only kit that I have that meets the GB criteria. However I refuse to do the ratio mixes for the colors called for and will not go out and buy a rattle can of their FS-8. I believe I have some equivalents in my Vallejo stash, but would like to know what you are using for the interior and the gloss blue? There are some Tamiya XF colors that may pass (that I do have) but just wondering?

Bill - I'm considering jumping in this GB with a 1:72 Tamiya version, the only kit that I have that meets the GB criteria. However I refuse to do the ratio mixes for the colors called for and will not go out and buy a rattle can of their FS-8. I believe I have some equivalents in my Vallejo stash, but would like to know what you are using for the interior and the gloss blue? There are some Tamiya XF colors that may pass (that I do have) but just wondering?
Ralph, I use Aussie made SMS acrylic lacquer paints only now.
I used SMS on my 59GB P-40.
Cost here is about AU$ 9.00 not sure about USA$
You could detail with Enamels or Acrylics.
Right out of the bottle FS matches, no thinning, for airbrushing.
These can be lightened or darkened with other SMS colors, but are FS matched.
I looked at their website The Scale Modellers Supply check out this web link.
and found they are available here,
SMS USA.jpg
I will be using four SMS colors on this one
Zinc chromate FS33481
Dark sea blue FS25042
Interior green FS?
PL72, Insignia white FS17875
SMS colors.jpg
Hope this helps.
Cheers

Last edited:
Bill, my feeble research turned up FS 34151 for the interior for a 1D. Tamiya XF-49 (in my stash) seems to be close enough. Vallejo has colors that are claimed to be 34151 but are much darker and on the green side, so I'll use the Tamiya. For the Deep Sea Blue on the 1D (my research indicted FS 35042 (may be for the gloss finish? 25042 indicates semi-gloss). Since I don't have any of the 'exact' matches for the blue I'm just going wing it with the blues that I do have. Mine is a much simpler, less detailed version of yours, so the color requirements are less.

Oh! And thanks....

1707179952143.jpeg

Bill, my feeble research turned up FS 34151 for the interior for a 1D. Tamiya XF-49 (in my stash) seems to be close enough. Vallejo has colors that are claimed to be 34151 but are much darker and on the green side, so I'll use the Tamiya. For the Deep Sea Blue on the 1D (my research indicted FS 35042 (may be for the gloss finish? 25042 indicates semi-gloss). Since I don't have any of the 'exact' matches for the blue I'm just going wing it with the blues that I do have. Mine is a much simpler, less detailed version of yours, so the color requirements are less.

Oh! And thanks....

View attachment 761963
As a general rule US military aircraft from WWII used FS 54151 (interior green) there were some variations such as early Grumman used Bronze green and I think Republic had a bronze green as well but by the end of the war through Kora 54151 was the color. Like any color it was mixed at the factory and was not always a matching shade.

Here are some photos of the un-restored/original paint FG-1A 14682/KD431. Vought F4U Corsair Registry - A Warbirds Resource Group Site

Photos taken with a flash. The third photo clearly shows the difference between the greens looking forward from the aft fuselage into the lower cockpit area.

Attachments

• DCP_1719.JPG
    DCP_1719.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 14
  • DCP_1731.JPG
    DCP_1731.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 15
  • DCP_1733.JPG
    DCP_1733.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 11
  • DCP_1741.JPG
    DCP_1741.JPG