**** DONE: Kittyhawk Mk III James F. "Eddie" Edwards RCAF - Aircraft of the Aces GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Excellent work as usual Andy. I've got a signed copy of Kittyhawk Pilot. I built a 1/72 P 40 of Stocky Edwards a few years ago. You should be able to get a decal sheet from Rick at "Uncle Bills", if they are still available. I"ll check around as I might have the 1/48 set in my stash.

Greg

Thanks Wayne.

Excellent work as usual Andy. I've got a signed copy of Kittyhawk Pilot. I built a 1/72 P 40 of Stocky Edwards a few years ago. You should be able to get a decal sheet from Rick at "Uncle Bills", if they are still available. I"ll check around as I might have the 1/48 set in my stash.

Greg

Greg, thanks. I did talk to Rick already and thumbed through his myriad binders. Came up zilch. If you find the 1/48 set and want to hold them for ransom, let me know!

The last few sessions have been devoted to various fixes on the fuselage seams and panels.

This overall shot shows some of the things that are needing attention. The arrows numbered one are small hatches that have been molded into the kit. These hatches were present on the P-40N but not on the K that this aircraft depicts. These appear on the other side as well. In addition, the port side also has hatches on the intake housing under the engine, also bogus for the K. The arrow marked 2 seems to be a signal lamp as the instruction sheet calls for a clear part to be inserted into a hole at this location. Some profiles of the K have this feature but close examination of the photos on the line up of Kittyhawk III's in 260 Sqdn prove these were not present on the machine I'm doing.

Note also that the rivets behind the rear canopy glazing have been sanded down a fair amount to make them less prominent.

110903 Fuse Filling.jpg

Here's a bit of a brutal close-up of the area where the tail section attaches to the forward section of the fuselage. The seam is obvious but it's been sanded down and filled so should disappear once a coat of primer is applied. The rescribing has resulted in a couple of slips as you can see and these will be filled with a few layers of primer and sanded. The hatch has been eliminated by filling the recessed lines with a 3 or 4 brushed coats of primer and then sanding the area down until the primer remains only in the recesses. I chose this method rather than removing the recesses completely so as not to create a flat spot and risk losing the nearby rivet details.

110903 Fuse Filling 2.jpg

This close up is of the forward section showing again the filled hatch panel lines. The removal of excess primer by sanding has preserved the fine rivet details leaving the recessed hatch lines filled. Behind these you can see that I have plugged the hole for the signal lamp with a bit of stretched sprue. At this point the cement is yet to harden. Once set, I'll file this flush and polish the area to eliminate the detail. Also seen on this close-up is the oblong insert behind the exhaust opening that fills the molded hollow present on later P-40s but not the K. This kit-supplied piece fit beautifully and filling was limited to a tiny bit of primer.

110903 Fuse Filling 3.jpg

Proceeding slow and steady. Once I think I have all this fixed, I'll give the fuselage a shot of primer to check everythingand will post pics then. Thanks for your continued interest.

Last edited:
Thanks mate.

Spent the afternoon outdoors sanding and scribing, got my coat of primer on and attached the wings.

The following two pics are of the same areas as the close-ups taken yesterday. There's still a very faint trace of the scribe slips on the tail which are not evident to the naked eye. I may yet fix this but I'm pleased that there's no trace of the seam that attaches the tail. The forward area turned out well with the hatches and signal light having completely disappeared.

110904 Stbd Tail Scribe.jpg

110904 Stbd Nose Scribe.jpg

Here are shots of the port side. A few faint scribe slips still evident at the tail as well but these are not a big problem. The nose section is also complete. There was a small panel in front of the exhaust ports that had to be completely blended in and it turned out not bad. Screws were added back in using the steel tube of a .5mm pencil.

11904 Port Nose Scribe.jpg

110904 Port Tail Scribes.jpg

Finally, with only very minor issues on the fuselage having been revealed, I set about getting the wings on so these will set up over night. Below shows how I check and set my dihedral. After first lining up the fuselage with the axis perfectly vertical (checked with the square), I adjust the tape until the desired dihedral is achieved on both sides.

That's it for today. Next pics should see the tail planes and rudder on. Thanks again for your interest and comments.

110904 Dihedral Check.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back