**** DONE: MiG 21 PF 'Fishbed D', Moscow District PVO Aviation Fighter Regiment, 1967

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys, your comments continue to motivate, and make me forget the stiff fingers and get on with it!
Glenn, that's the internal armoured glass screen. The gunsight projected into the tracking radar scope below it, on top of the instrument panel. This has to be made, and fitted between the screen and the 'scope, then transparent side screens added to each side of the main screen. Could be a bit fiddly.....

Cheets mate! The basics were there Karl, I just altered the coaming and the screen. The rest, for this level of kit, would be very fine mouldings, hiking the price up I guess. The rest of the kit is nicely detailed and, due to the basics being used for two MiG kits, there's quite a few 'spare' parts.
BTW, how's the job looking?

Don't have any transparent beer cans Glenn! I've been looking for some clear sheet which will be thin enough to handle the compound curves in such a small size, as my thinnest sheets are still a bit too thick (if that makes sense?!). Finally found some - from a pack of Austrian smoked cheese!!!

Terry have you looked at vacuformed packaging that stuff comes in at the grocery store. We had a package of blueberry's the other day and the plastic was very thin and I thought about saving it for scratch-building material.
EDIT: Sorry Terry I guess My eyes didn't catch your last sentence. Sounds like your set.

Last edited:
Yep! Problem now is, instead of throwing things in the rubbish bin, I've started hoarding all sorts of packaging, from thick foil to vac-formed packaging, to fine mesh and different types of threads and cord! I draw the line at cracked egg shells though....!!!

Got loads of that Glenn, and some nice similar stuff off the pain killers I use. Part of that packaging is textured, and I'll be using it to replicate the quilted padding on the parachute harness back pad for the MiG seat. Also be using the same stuff for the quilted sound-proofing lining in the nose and cockpit of my Mitchell III (B25J) when I eventually get around to it.

I managed to get the gunsight and slave unit fitted without too much drama, and the kit ejection seat is starting to look more like the SK seat fitted to the first and second generation MiG 21's.
PICS 1 and 2. The gun sight and slave unit, made from plastic rod, with the mounting bracket from strip. Once this has fully set, the power cable will be added, and the units painted in the appropriate colours. The transparent side screens will then be made, and fitted to the bottom edge of the instrument shroud, and the top of the armoured glass screen on each side. That's the plan anyway!
Also visible here are the ribs added to the rear cockpit bulkhead.
PIC 3. Another shot of the part-assembled seat as provided in the kit. The backrest was cut off the seat squab and consigned to the spares box, and the squab was altered slightly to act as the PSP for the seat pan.
PIC 4. The first stage of modifying the kit seat. The upper sides have been removed, and the back plate made narrower. The parachute container/head rest should really sit further back, but there's nothing I can do about this, as the seat wouldn't fit into the cockpit if it was altered. The head rest cushion is in the process of been filed here.
PICS 5 and 6. The second stage of modification, and looking more like the SK seat now. The angled height adjusters were added using plastic rod, and the various back plates and shoulder brace added from thin plastic card, strip and rod, with the 'X' shaped pressings scored into the surface. These will be highlighted with a darker shade once the seat is painted. The inertia reel for the seat/parachute harness was added to the centre of the shoulder brace, using a slice of plastic rod, and the leg supports made the same way. The lower frame and foot rests are thin plastic strip, drilled and cut. On the left side of the seat (right as viewed) is the base for the PEC, and the hoses will be added later, once the seat is painted. On top of the seat, a piece of tube and rod simulates the top of the ejection pistol, and the arming/head guard will be added once the seat is in place.
The next step is to make the combined harness and back pad, using lead foil from my pain killers (!), lead wire, and copper wire for the manual parachute release.
Thanks again for your interest and compliments, and I'll post some more pic soon.

Attachments

• MiG 21 160.jpg
    MiG 21 160.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 77
  • MiG 21 159.jpg
    MiG 21 159.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 75
  • MiG 21 153.jpg
    MiG 21 153.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 69
  • MiG 21 157.jpg
    MiG 21 157.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 76
  • MiG 21 169.jpg
    MiG 21 169.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 72
  • MiG 21 172.jpg
    MiG 21 172.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 76
Thanks very much indeed guys, More soon, if my bl**dy hands will work. Was at the Physio Terrorist yesterday, for work on my left knee, and now my whole body is disobeying my commands!!

Change of plans! I was going to attempt more work on the MiG tonight, and a bit on the Buc. But a mate insists that a trip around another mate's micro-brewery will help relax all the stiffness I feel at the moment! Can't complain at that - £15 for the tour, buffett and all the beer you can drink!!
No sense out of me for the next 24 hours I guess!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back