**** DONE: Polikarpov I-16 type 24, pilot Boris F. Safonov, 72.SAP

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I haven't heard that. But I remember that our Su-22s were painted with a similar colour on undersides.And it wasn't typical light blue one.The tonality of the paint was yellowis/greenish.So it is very likely.

ok here's what i got up to yesterday
1, when i test fit the wing and fuselage i noticed a gap at the wing roots and that the cowl for the engine didn't fit all the way round, this was because the fuselage ends were too narrow so borrowing a technique learned fromthe masters on here i added a spacer bar, this solved the fit problems all round. :D
2, all the exhausts have to be glued in individualy and they are tiny :rolleyes:
3, my thumb is there to show how small this kit is even in 1/48 :shock:
4, cockpit tub
5, basic engine part, havn't gone mad as this will not be seen behind the cowl !

Attachments

• Picture 026.jpg
    Picture 026.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 111
  • Picture 027.jpg
    Picture 027.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 108
  • Picture 028.jpg
    Picture 028.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 115
  • Picture 029.jpg
    Picture 029.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 130
  • Picture 030.jpg
    Picture 030.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 122
and here's this mornings work :D

1, wings and tail are attached.
2, front part of cowl painted silver ready to be masked for the green paint.
3, underside view showing a slight gap to be filled.
4, all bits together.

got to add the last few exhausts and wing guns and i hope to get some paint on later today if time permits, as i'm back at work tomorow and work on this will slow down quite a bit :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Picture 031.jpg
    Picture 031.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 111
  • Picture 032.jpg
    Picture 032.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 112
  • Picture 034.jpg
    Picture 034.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 106
  • Picture 033.jpg
    Picture 033.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 121
Great Karl. The small crate always looks interesting doesn't it?

True Karl...:lol: :lol: :lol: I have to check where my I-16 of the old Matchbox kit is at the moment. As memo serves its main bits are ready and put togeter. I started the project many years ago. But having these of ICM I'm not sure if it is worth to continue building of the kit.

BTW...there was a I-16 kit of 1/144 scale when I was very young boy. It was in 70's. There was a series of ten small kits here in Poland.

Last edited:
Nice work so far old chap!
That kite always makes me think of something Noddy would fly, or maybe straight out of Trumpton !!
Paint it yellow, with red wing tips, and it'd be sorted!!

You're doing and excellent work on this one, but by god you are scaring me as I have this one lined up for an up coming GB.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back