**** DONE: 1/72 LA-5FN VVS Group build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Attachments

• la5fn wing1.jpg
    la5fn wing1.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 129
  • la5fn wing2.jpg
    la5fn wing2.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 139
  • la5fn wing.jpg
    la5fn wing.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 138
Thanks Wurger I'll trim them back so they are just proud of the wing.
Managed to find a colour which seems a pretty good match for the underside from the model rail shop just up the road from my studio RailMatch No. 208 regional light blue.
Tried it out and with a bit of dirtying up I think it will be OK. Still got a couple of wee bits to fill and smooth out on the underside.
003-2.jpg

Looking good. But a drop of a white paint added to the blue one would be useful I thought.

Well maybe not........
I had sprayed the lighter of the two tone gray camo and marked up ready to do the darker tone when I had the bright idea of using an acrylic spray can to re do the underside in a lighter tone.... instant orange peel reaction so out came the white spirit which also removed the upper surface paint so it's now back to bare plastic all over.
There is also drama on the domestic front so I don't know when I will be able to get back to it but fingers crossed it will get done.

The only enamel was the underside blue all the rest were acrylic. Must have been a reaction with the carrying medium in the spray can.

It might have been. Have you checked what kind of paint was the one in the spray can? Of what manufacturer is the spray?

Managed to get some progress in the right direction, when cleaning off the spray can disaster the wings decided to part company with the fueselage and of course when reattached the gaps reappeared so they have now been filled.
Also tried a new mix of Tamyia X 4 blue and XF 2white for the underside colour then found a slight step in the join so have now filled that and will wait for it all to dry before giving it another coat.
001-6.jpg

002-6.jpg

here you go both pictures and profile are from Osprey's LaGG Lavochkin Aces of World War 2

Attachments

• Clipboard04.jpg
    Clipboard04.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 109
  • Clipboard03.jpg
    Clipboard03.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 113
  • Clipboard06.jpg
    Clipboard06.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Cheers for that Rochie. That's the only profile I have seen with the silver numeral and lettering. The Osprey soviet aces of WWII has the top photo and the profile with the numeral in white and the lettering in yellow which I will be doing.
Loking at the second pic I can see a slight difference in tone between the numeral and the lettering and to have both the numeral and lettering in silver there would not be enough contrast to make the dedication legible.
Made some more progress tonight
004-3.jpg

003-4.jpg

002-7.jpg

001-7.jpg

Thank you kindly folks
I recon most of us have had at least one visit from general Douglas disaster.
Feels good to be making progress on this one. I may get some more done on it tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back