**** DONE: Spitfire MkVIII, 136 Squadron RAF, Burma, 1944, Commonwealth GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Max, nothing like getting the information from the original source!
I'm always dubious about photo captions and profile interpretations, unless there is definite proof. I even noticed in one of the copy pages you sent me, from the RAF Museum, that a caption to one pic stated a code letter was 'D', when it was 'P', and it looked like the caption might be wrong about the serial number too!
I'm thinking that some text / captions might be dictated, and then mis-heard by the typist, as it seems rather common to have such errors, and transposed numbers etc.

Thats right Terry! Mind you when you look at the circumstances under which the info was gathered stored its not surprising that thre were a few drop offs! No computers, email etc just good old word of mouth pen paper

Very true! Funny though how it seemed more reliable than some of today's procedures!
There's some strange things happening on the forum these last two or three days. I've just spent around 30 minutes composing and typing the first 'instalment' of the build, and when I hit the 'Go Advanced' button, I got a message stating the page couldn't be found, and the whole bl**dy lot disappeared !!
What with that and slow page loading, jumping back and forth etc, it's doing my t*ts in - so I'll have a brew and try again later !!

Ahhh they joys of computers!! Enjoy your cuppa Terry keep at it!!:D

OK, trying again - fell asleep waiting for this page to load!
As the kit I ordered at my local Model Shop still hasn't arrived, rather than delay things further, I might as well make a start on the one shown below - it's the same basic kit anyway.(PIC 1).
PICS 2 and 3. Most reviews of ICM kits mention two things - warping and excessive flash.
Well the latter doesn't concern me, having 'grown up' with the plastic kit, in the days when there was as much flash as kit parts. Those who whinge about such things should consider a different hobby - if they don't want to do the work, then buy a die cast model! The warping, however, can cause problems along the way, so the fuselage in particular was taped together, and checked visually and against a grid.
PIC 4. One of the things which can make ICM kits difficult for some, is the total lack of locating pins. Again, not a major drama; tabs of plastic card will be cemented at key points along the joint lines, to aid in alignment.
PIC 5. The kit is nicely detailed throughout, as shown by the port cockpit wall here. Separate parts are provided for the throttle quadrant etc, and the entrance hatch can be cut out, and a separate part added if this is required in the open position. Work in this area will begin soon, adding a bit of extra detail.
PIC 6. A minor criticism, considering the finesse of the majority of the kits' parts, is the seat. As can be seen, the sides and seat pan are rather thick. These will be thinned down, and the recess which should be in the base of the seat 'bucket' will be cut and filed to shape. This recess was there to take the weight of the parachute pack closing pouch, where the three ripcord pins passed through metal cones, locking the pack closed until the ripcord was pulled, withdrawing the pins. As the full weight of the pilot was sitting on the parachute, without the recess, the pouch, and pins and cones, would be bearing this weight, which could bend the pins, with dire, if not fatal results in an emergency.
Once this part has been prepared, then the rest of the cockpit can be assembled, some extra detail added, and then painted.
First stage pics should be here very soon, and thanks for your interest so far.
I should have the background story on Bob, and the squadron, completed and posted within the next few days.

Attachments

• Bob Cross build.jpg
    Bob Cross build.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 135
  • Bob Cross build 002.jpg
    Bob Cross build 002.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 154
  • Bob Cross build 003.jpg
    Bob Cross build 003.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 160
  • Bob Cross build 004.jpg
    Bob Cross build 004.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 155
  • Bob Cross build 005.jpg
    Bob Cross build 005.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 134
  • Bob Cross build 006.jpg
    Bob Cross build 006.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 140
I like that 'young' bit Wayne - thanks, I owe you a pint or three!
I remember your fiddles with the cowlings Karl. I'll be omitting the engine - got plans for that elsewhere - so I won't be using the separate cowls, and will put stiffeners in the engine bay, plastic card backing for the exhausts, and a new prop shaft. That's the plan, anyway .......

The seat is now modified and painted, and just needs a bit of tidying and a semi-gloss clear coat over the padded back rest.
A new armour plate has been made for the seat back, and the 'floor' area opened up, as well as the head armour modified and fitted.
PIC 1. Work under way thinning the seat 'walls', and cutting the recess etc. The back padding has been engraved, but not yet sanded, and the small breather slot / handle has yet to be cut. At bottom left is the kit seat armour which, although adequate, scaled out at around 30mm thick, when the real item was 4mm. So, at bottom right, is a new armour plate, made from thin plastic card.
PIC 2. The kit parts for the instrument panel and frame 2, the seat mounting frame. The panel has the same textured appearance as the one in Andy's kit, and I'm wondering if this an attempt to replicate a 'crackle' finish. The various lightening holes in both frames have yet to be drilled.
PIC 3.The same parts after drilling-out the holes, an exercise yet to be completed on the small frame under the rear glazing.
PIC 4. The Spitfire didn't have a floor as such, just the control runs and a pair of heel bars, which also formed the main frame work. The kit part, for convenience and rigidity, is moulded like this. Again, adequate, but some improvements will be made.
PIC 5. The same part after opening up the rear area. This will be filed and sanded to get rid of the rough edges before painting and detailing.
PIC 6. The head armour has been fitted, after removing the padded head rest, and the back armour fitted and the whole assembly painted. The detail painting will be done later.
The seat is painted, and the lap straps of the seat harness fitted. These are made from metal foil and plastic rod, and the shoulder harness will be made and fitted later.Note that the seat is just test-fitted here, and will be cemented once the 'floor' area has had the details added and painted, and the seat adjusting lever has been fitted and the whole lot tidied up a bit.
Next step is to add a little detail to the instrument panel, and then paint it, before moving on to the cockpit side walls.
Thank again for your interest, and I'll post another up-date soon.

Attachments

• Bob Cross build 013.jpg
    Bob Cross build 013.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 184
  • Bob Cross build 011.jpg
    Bob Cross build 011.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 180
  • Bob Cross build 012.jpg
    Bob Cross build 012.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 172
  • Bob Cross build 010.jpg
    Bob Cross build 010.jpg