Doras Galoras - Unofficial GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good stuff guys!

Well i just can't seem to make up my goddam mind...so give me a gentle nudge.....my 3 options ARE, as follows below,
I'll check Back in tomorrow night to see what you guys think...

I will however start a NEW thread in the near future for an Eduard D-11.....

All images courtesy of Eagle Editions Fw190D Vol.1

Attachments

• Fw190D-9_Black 10.jpg
    Fw190D-9_Black 10.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 130
  • Fw190D-9_White 12.jpg
    Fw190D-9_White 12.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 135
  • Fw190D-9_Yellow 13.jpg
    Fw190D-9_Yellow 13.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 136
I have a really silly question....... being a GB virgin and no GB icons..... any idea if we can get an unofficial GBD icon for this effort?
Dale

Wayne, white 12. I already know what Jan will say....

Jerry, you're welcome.

Dale. It would need someone to make he icon and a mod to add it to the sig. I'm not sure what's happened with the official GB sigs. Wojtek used to do them but it took a lot of his time but I know Cory offered to do them instead. If Cory or anyone else is willing to make one, we'll just need to convince a mod to add them.

Wayne, white 12. I already know what Jan will say....
Dale. It would need someone to make he icon and a mod to add it to the sig. I'm not sure what's happened with the official GB sigs. Wojtek used to do them but it took a lot of his time but I know Cory offered to do them instead. If Cory or anyone else is willing to make one, we'll just need to convince a mod to add them.

yeah I already pencilled in a vote for Yellow 13 for Jan! :D
However it appears Black 10 goes to number 1, I was leaning this way but the others were so inviting for different reasons....rest assured that both of the other subjects will receive attention in the future!
With regards the GB Icons, there has been a glitch that is out of Wojtek's control and needs to be solved, I hope that we can get things up to date in the near future.

Don't know what the glitch with the icons is, but if it has anything to do with attaching them, the way mine are done may be a way around that. Back after I has received my 3rd icon I began having trouble every time I changed my sig, something about too many characters, and I fixed it by copying the individual icons and making one picture out of them in Gimp, then attaching that single picture file to my sig in place of the separate icon picture files. Right now the top row of 4 is a single jpg file and the Eastern Front icon is a separate one.

Wayne, that is a bit of info that I did not know. I have been waiting for my G.B. icons for a year now. It really is a minor point, but, darn it, I want 'em, I want 'em, I want 'em! (stamping my feet in my footie pajamas)

Don't know what the glitch with the icons is, but if it has anything to do with attaching them, the way mine are done may be a way around that. Back after I has received my 3rd icon I began having trouble every time I changed my sig, something about too many characters, and I fixed it by copying the individual icons and making one picture out of them in Gimp, then attaching that single picture file to my sig in place of the separate icon picture files. Right now the top row of 4 is a single jpg file and the Eastern Front icon is a separate one.
will have to look into doing that for myself Glenn

OK, now that new painting booth has been set up, progress has been made (and I discovered just how 'glugged up' one of my airbrushes was - Alclad Airbush Cleaner is the SHIZZ!!! ;) ) on both the D-15 and the Cylon Raider - but for a change I'll try and stick to the D-15...

They say that paint can hide a multitude of sins...
D15_006.jpg

Well, who ever said that is an idiot - all the lovely, hard Alclad Primer MicroFiller has done is to show up things I thought were done, but in fact need more work! I've learnt TWO things from this; firstly, my contours around the aft part of the engine mount bulge need work and 'crisping up' and secondly, I am not happy with the panel lines...
D15_008.jpg

While little, if anything exists to show exactly how the D-15 Engine Panels were arranged, I think my approach to the problem is too rooted in the Focke-Wulf/Jumo world, not the Roland/Daimler-Benz world. Despite having filled and re-engraved some lines, looking at it now in smooth black paint makes me think this is just all wrong! Roland had to build a new 'deck' and parts of the upper engine fairing (that didnt have troughs for the guns), so why make it more complex and also redesign the DB engine Treibwerk?
D15_007.jpg

So I am changing my mind and running with the plan outlined below - RED is existing DB605LA/Ta152C panels; BLUE is my panels (based on my Focke-Wulf/Jumo thoughts) that will be removed; GREEN is both DB605LA/Ta152C panels that will be restored and possibly carried over the 'deck-lid'; while LIGHT-BLUE is and optional (Ta152C) means of carrying the panel line over the 'deck-lid'. Existing DB605LA Treibwerk drawings show something like the later, which is currently winning...
D15_009.jpg

Looks pretty cool when you hold the BIG DB605LA supercharger intake upto the LH Side too!

I mixed up the so called RLM 83 and sprayed it on tonight. I used equal parts of MM sky type S, MM insignia white and Testors gloss yellow. Pretty much the color I was going for.

P2139308.JPG
P2139309.JPG
001 Black 12 Icon.jpg

Last edited:
Zaggy, the thing you have to remember is that Focke-Wulf aircraft were not known for their tight fitting panels. Check out the old "Wings of the Luftwaffe" series, and pictures of preserved aircraft. You will see the loose fitting panels. These aircraft were meant to be disposable and were turned out quickly. It only got worse with the breakdown of German industries at the end of the war. This was a desperate time and called for desperate measures. The time of "spit and polish" for the Luftwaffe ended when the war broke out, for the most part.

Great work guys!

Echo Andy's comment re the yellow Glenn, but I trust your judgement. If you reckon it'll fade down nicely, cool. Also echo his comment re the quality of your paintwork!

Wayne - I reckon go Schwarzen 10.

Dale, don't see the need myself for icon collecting, but if others want them aswell (for this and other 'UGB's ), then go for it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back