DVD suggestions.....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
As you all know, I quite like the older mystery/detective movies etc. For the moment I'm looking to find G-Men with James Cagney to add to my collection. Does anyone else have any good suggestions for decent flick in this genre?8)

Lucky, my suggestion would be to grab some early Alfred Hitchcock. Many companies are issuing them on DVDs for CHEAP. I've got a whole collection from the 20s onward. Last year picked up his first 20 movies on 4 DVDs for $11 US!

Some great ones....

"The 39 Steps"
"The Lady Vanishes"
"The Man Who Knew Too Much" (early - not the Jimmy Stewart version)
"The Lodger"

all great movies.

Oh and if you find "The Maltese Falcon" with Humphrey Bogart - GRAB IT!!

Don't forget Hitchcock's "Vertigo"! I know it's post war, but there were some good films through the 50's.

Also, if you've seen "The Big Sleep", then see "Murder, My Sweet" which is part of the series with detective Phillip Marlow.

The-Lady-from-Shanghai.jpg

The Lady from Shanghai (1947)

Yes I know: it's from '58, but it's still darned good:
touchofevil.jpg

Touch of Evil (1958)

This one isn't old at all, but Steve Martin's "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid" is fantastic. It's awesome to watch Martin interact with all of those 1930s 1940s actors. Hilarious.

Heck, you can't beat the original of "12 Angry Men" (remake wasn't too bad, either...characters and their personalities changed to support the times, but it still holds true to the original. Is this the movie with the lowest special-effects/costuming/set-design budget, or what? :lol: )

12 Angry Men (1957)

Have you seen the remake? You'll be pleasantly surprised. The individuals and their issues are different, but still, its a phenomenal personality-study! I'd like to own both, some day. Heh. Of course, I don't think I've seen a movie with Jack Lemmon in it that I didn't like!

12 Angry Men (1997) (TV)

I'd check these out:

the killers (1946)

framed (1947)

high sierra (1941)

north by northwest (1959)

the big heat (1953)

the big combo (1955)

gun crazy (1950)

Attachments

• 392px-FramedPoster.jpg
    392px-FramedPoster.jpg