Easter Island Statues

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, that explains why something so big, "balanced" on its narrow end (and several looking like they're standing at angles), haven't fallen over already. Kewl!

sometimes i never noticed there was a head on some bodies!! but seriouosly i never thought of that and i have seen several documentaries about them....this is the one new thing i learned today.

after going back and looking at them again...whats even more amazing is the detail and inscriptions on the buried portion....shows how much wind erosion has take its toil on the exposed part.

Last edited:
yeah I noticed that too. wonder what the designs signify.

"head over heels anyone"... I will not dignify that with a response. :lol:

Been away for a while, jest caught this thread. While many posted pics of the Easter Island "Heads" do indeed show just a Head, there are also many pics that show various degrees of sunkeness. Those that are less buried clearly show a torso. There are also many posted pics of statues further inland standing on rocks that show the entire body

Attachments

• raraku1.jpg
    raraku1.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 630
  • ahu2.jpg
    ahu2.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 251
  • easter-island-statues.png
    easter-island-statues.png
    87.3 KB · Views: 237
Years ago, they found several Moai partially finished in a quarry a considerable distance from the final resting place...it's hard to fathom what those people were up to, since the construction of those statues consumed tremendous rsources that they could scarcely afford to waste...

Years ago, they found several Moai partially finished in a quarry a considerable distance from the final resting place...it's hard to fathom what those people were up to, since the construction of those statues consumed tremendous rsources that they could scarcely afford to waste...

Slave labour no doubt. The New Zealand Maori regularly took slaves as workers, concubines, and food.

Great thread Matt, thanks for posting!

A4, its more an issue of the islands natural resources.
I've heard it specualted by people more knowledgable than me that the reason for deforestation on the island could be because they stripped the forests for timber to help construct/move these things.

There are almost 900 Moai with about half still in the quarry for various reasons: in some cases the carvers found the tuff contained flaws and abandoned the carving, some are incomplete, and some complete ans awaiting transport. None have visible legs except for one kneeling Moai. Most are about 14tons although two big boys are close to 90 and one incomplete would have come in at 270tons.
Present belief is that they represent the faces of dieified ancestors

I just found out that cars on the bottom at this site have 4 wheels just like the ones up top!! Something new everyday!

Attachments

• ar117000556844593.jpg
    ar117000556844593.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 11,514

Users who are viewing this thread

Back