Eduard 1/48 - Spitfire LF.MK.IXc

Discussion in 'Start to Finish Builds' started by jjp_nl, Sep 29, 2013.

1. jjp_nl

jjp_nl Member

So, last week I got the Eduard 1/48 Spitfire Mk.IX over-trees I ordered through their web shop, and I couldn’t help myself, I just had to take one of these kits to the workbench to see what could be done with it. Since it’s over-trees, the kit comes with no decals. As I set out to work on the interior I gave colours and markings a thought….and decided to turn this Spit into a Dutch LF.MK.IXc of 322Sqn.

This unit flew the Spitfire MK.IXc for some time in the immediate post-war years. 322Sqn went on to operate in the Dutch East-Indies (today Indonesia) during the late nineteen fourties to support ‘policing actions’ (in fact it was, albeit undeclared, colonial guerrilla warfare – probably not unlike the Malayan Emergency) aimed at re-establishing control over this colony after the Japs surrendered in 1945. 322Sqn was mostly involved in strafing and bombing ground targets. Ultimately pressure from other countries and allies forced the Dutch to abandon these attempts and recognize the independence of what became the Republic of Indonesia. Interesting in this regard also is the fact that Spitfire MH434 (currently the famous ZD-B of the OFMC) - which is regarded as one the most authentic and original Spitfires MK.IX’s still out there also was part of 322Sqn detachment that went to the East Indies.

The Spitfires flown by 322Sqn over the East-Indies initially were delivered in RAF colours, meaning the typical Dark Green/Dark Grey over Medium Sea Grey scheme, Sky spinner and fuselage band (sometimes even with RAF fin-flash and other assorted British markings still present). However, during their time in the East-Indies 322Sqn went on to deviate from this colour scheme and pattern and used what paints were available on the spot. This lead some visually interesting variations on the basic and well known RAF Grey/Green ‘theme’. Some left in their original RAF livery, some entirely repainted and some partially repainted part RAF livery.

I decided to turn my Spit into H-60. This particular aircraft is finished in what is described as jungle green and light grey over light grey-blue with an Olive-Drab anti-glare panel added for good measure. The pattern, while bearing some similarities to the British camouflage pattern is much ‘smoother’ and more ‘rounded’ in shape compared to it’s British counterpart. As for decals, I will use a set of ‘Dutch Decals’ which among others has markings for multiple Spitfires, including H-60.

As for the rest, in this start post I'll let the pictures to the talking, and ofcourse feel free to ask questions or drop a line :) As for the kit and build itself...it has been a real joy taking on this new project. The Eduard kit is a true master piece in it's own right if you ask me, even though it's not exactly Tamigawa easy and certainly required care and attention. Very little, if any, filling and sanding was required. For the most part a bead of Mr.Surfacer (mostly along the two-piece upper and lower cowling sections) did the trick and one or two drops of super glue in a few areas, but that's about it as far as filling and sanding goes. The only real complaint I have (if it can be called that) is the way the exhaust stacks have to be glued in place before closing the cowling...a silly choice if you ask me for a kit that is so well detailed and thought through.

Attached Files:

2. Crimea_River

Crimea_River Well-Known Member

Absolutely fantastic work Jelmer! Now you've got me wanting one. I looked at the overtrees so many times but ultimately decided to defer this purchase in fairness to all the other kits in my stash.

I like the unique camouflage scheme and look forward to the decals going on.

3. woody

woody Active Member

Nice work paint looks great.

4. rochie

rochie Well-Known Member

Head chef
    looks great

5. Wurger

Wurger Siggy Master
    Staff Member Administrator

A retired military Navigator/ATC, FIS controller
  6. Airframes

Airframes Benevolens Magister

Retired
    Nice work Jelmer, and a good choice of colour scheme. I saw this one at Duxford three weeks ago, which got me thinking about doing another Spit !
    Good excuse to get the Eduard kit methinks!

Attached Files:

7. jjp_nl

jjp_nl Member

Nice pic Terry! I saw 3W-17 a few weeks ago as it was practicing it's 'act' for upcoming air shows. Got to see a bit of show from my back yard so to speak..low and fast over the runway as I was out for a run passing by the airfield..can't think of any better music to keep up the tempo. Got decals for this one too BTW, sure has it's charm too...an aluminium dope Spit :) While the Eduard kit is an expensive purchase (unless you manage to grab the over-trees) you will not be disappointed.

8. Aozora

Aozora Well-Known Member

That's a really interesting choice, with a rich history. I too have ordered some overtrees (early IX and late IXE) plus I have the original profipack mid-production IXC. Hmmm- just looking at the Dutch Decals' site they're showing a DD 32021 "Dutchies in the RAF" - hope it comes out in 1:48...

9. jjp_nl

jjp_nl Member

#9 jjp_nl, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
    @ Aozora
    If you're looking to do a 'Dutchie in the RAF' Spit, Flevo Decals do a sheet in 1/48 that covers multiple Spitfire Marques ranging from Mk.IIa to MK.XVI and Mk.XIV of 322Sqn when it was still part of the RAF. Hannants still has a few available I think and it might be a suitable alternative to the limited release of the DD-sheet in 1/32.

10. Lucky13

Lucky13 Forum Mascot

Nightshift picker
    Home Page:
    Hmmmmmm....

LF IXc, MK188, H-23 3W-13, crashed 25-02-53.
    LF IX, MK632, H-13, crashed 30-03-1949.

11. Angels one-five

Defence Consultant
    Superb finish and it's really nice to see a Spitfire in a markedly different scheme from the norm. Great work.

12. Wayne Little

Wayne Little Well-Known Member

great job man...

13. jjp_nl

jjp_nl Member

So, some more work has been done on this Spit since I started this topic. Been working on the clearparts and after a nice and strong gloss coat the first decals have been put on the model. I certainly like how those big red/white/blue roundels work with the rest of the color scheme.

Attached Files:

14. Lucky13

Lucky13 Forum Mascot

Nightshift picker
    Home Page:
    Looks great!

15. Angels one-five

Defence Consultant
  16. Wurger

Wurger Siggy Master
    Staff Member Administrator

A retired military Navigator/ATC, FIS controller
  17. Aozora

Aozora Well-Known Member

Thanks for that - now ordered. I haven't built a Dutch aircraft for ages - my last was a Dutch East Indies Brewster Buffalo built about fifteen years ago; now part of a spare parts collection. Ironically my current project is a Special Hobby Fokker D.XXI, except it's Finnish... Fokker D.XXI III Series Finnish Air Force Review by Steven "Modeldad" Eisenman (Special Hobby 1/48 ) !

18. Airframes

Airframes Benevolens Magister

Retired
    Beauty! I've often thought of doing this Squadron's aircraft, having seen a photo of a nice, clean, almost shiny example, some years ago.

19. Crimea_River

Crimea_River Well-Known Member

Went to the Eduard site today and had the Mk IXc overtrees in the shopping cart for 22 bucks. Once I found that the shipping cost was 19 bucks, I said f#*@ that.

20. jjp_nl

jjp_nl Member

I Imagine...their shipping costs are a bit over the top sometimes, mine were just about acceptable since I ordered IXe to go with the IXc late ones. Varies greatly depending on where you live. Pity you had to pull the plug on that one though.