Eduard 1:48 Spitfire Mk.XVI (WEEKEND EDITION)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I didn't take a lot of pictures of mine going through this stage but I don't recall major issues. I think you are on the right track to file the long seam on the cowl so that the overlaps become smaller as there's too much detail to be lost where the upper and side cowls come together to putty all that. Mine ended up like this:

Good stuff Andy. I looked for your build quite a while ago but couldn't find it. Anyhoo.....I'm done playing and waiting for glue to set up. What the arrow is pointing to isn't a gap but CA in a seam. This plastic seems very soft and I have a bad habit of over sanding at the attachment points and rounding off the edges. The same can be said for the long seam in front. Rosie the Riveter on standby once the seam is dealt with

No rivets to deal with on the bottom

Looking ahead to what needs to be added before painting I saw the gun barrel fairings. It looks like Part G42 needs to be attached inside Part G40 and then added to the wing. Part G42 will now become invisible. I just noticed as I was typing; it isn't shown on the instruction sheet but maybe Part G40 needs to be bored out to allow the nub at the front of Part G42, which I am now going to assume is the gun barrel, to poke through

Looking like a Spitfire now. The elevators are a great fit and are glued in place. The rudder, when test fit, was also a great fit. The closed door option which is L7 isn't a great fit, a tad too wide. I'll work on this shortly and if I screw up, the kit came with two other doors which at first glance look identical. It also came with two sets of landing gear covers which in my eye look identical as well....even the same number and placement of the rivets. Yes....I counted them

Last edited by a moderator:
More finickiness. Parts F52 and F53 have to be attached after the elevators. It may be possible to lightly tack them onto the elevator, attach it to the vertical stab and then add more glue when all is in place. It gets a little complicated as the small parts have to slot inside the stab.

Thanks Andy. Just finished going through it. Well....this was fun. Managed to get Part G42 off the tree without a ping. This is it by my saw and an overall shot...

After beaucoup attempts to get it into Part G40 I finally managed. I was worried that the nub would cause an offset fit but it was very snug and both then attached to the wing without further ado. Not really sure what the purpose of the nub is on Part G42. Having done all this, I'm going to butt join the other G40 to the wing on the right side

The inner gun was the .50 cal Browning. When not fitted the "domed" cap was used to blank-off the blast tube.
If the .50 cal was fitted, then the "tube" was blunt, as depicted by the kit part, and sealed with a dull red fabric patch, inside the recess as moulded on the kit parts
I can only assume that the kit parts allow the option of having a "sealed" stub tube, or, by hollowing this, and fitting the part for the gun muzzle, being able to show the stub with the muzzle visible, as if either not yet sealed, or "shot through" after use.
Obviously, not having the kit or instructions, I can't positively confirm this, but I'm guessing that the gun muzzle parts can be left off. just fitting the stub housings.

Thanks. Started spraying. First the innards color over the clear parts and then a test. I've finally got around to getting some Gloss Black so I thought I would see if it makes a difference. Didn't cover the whole thing, just the gun panels and the moving surfaces. Might get around to painting tomorrow but doubtful. Dawg isn't doing well. He's 14 now. One of his eyes is more closed than open, he's gotten very lethargic and he's not eating. Heading to PG to see the vet in the A.M.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Turns out to be an ulser around his eye which is probably why he's not eating. They've given me eye-drops for him to administer 5 times a day. Dawg does not like things around his face so this will be fun. I was surprised that the pet hospital took me in right away (at a cost) and had me out the door less than an hour later without an appointment. I tried three different vets over the weekend and none were taking any more patients. I may get some painting in after all tonight, after the Blue Jays game. I've all but given up on the Canucks for the rest of the rear; tonight they are only going to have eight forwards so I'm sensing a right good shellacking.

Users who are viewing this thread