Eduard BF-110G-4 Weekend Edition 1/48

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys!

looks good, and the kit does fly together once that cockpit is put together

...and I'm getting pretty close to that point (thank god). Cockpit is pretty much done (will take a few pics of the interior and put them here ASAP) let alone a few minor touch-ups and some detailing. Dry-fitting of the major components, cockpit included, does look promising, so indeed I'm pretty optimistic the kit will go together without too much problems after the office is done.

So, here's an update of how things look sofar.

First, I noticed the oil cooler intakes have some sort of support thingy for strength. These come as PE parts with the limited editions and seperate PE sets but I figured some streched sprue could be used in stead. A little tricky to get it inside, but it worked. Perhaps not entirely to scale, but it's good enough for me. The other oil cooler obviously got the same treatment. I think I'll try and do the same thing with the radiators outboard of the engine as something similar is placed there (and I think it's easier to do it as they are not yet glued in place.
17-oilcoolerintake.jpg

Then on to the fuselage halved. I need to touch up a few things here and there and hope to be able to pick out some more details with yet another dry brush as most of my initial drybrushing seems to have disappeared under a coat of future and subsequent matt coat.
18-fuselagehalves.jpg

Same goes for the front office. A few touch ups to do here and there, and some seatbelts to make, but other then that it's coming along nicely.
19-office01.jpg

The rear of the front office consists of a good bunch of radio equipment. Here some of the dry brushing also disappeard for some reason, but nothing that can't be fixed.
20-office02.jpg

And then there's the rest of the parts that make up the bord funker/bord schutze area. Note that (according to the instructions and references I have) I managed to misplace the the SN2 radar equipment. The scopes should have been to the left and the rest to the right, but I did it the other way around :oops: oh well...as long as it look interesting I can live with that. I'm mostly and exterior guy anyway, so as long as the interior looks convincing I'm OK with an odd thing accidentally not ending up totally accurate. Again a little extra dry brushing is needed, plus a few seatbelts and ofcourse I need to fix a seat for the gunner.
21-office03.jpg

Not so much an update on the build it self, but a little background information on the actual a/c I want to make this into.

I've settled on the kite of NJG.1 Geschwaderkommodore <<< G9+AA of Major Hans Joachim Jabs. I think I may have mentioned the story before, but here it is again backed with some photographic evidence dealing with the event that I've looked up.

Jabs pulled off a bit of stunt on 29 April 1944. Based on what information I've been able to gather the story goes something like this. Jabs retured (by daylight) to Deelen,NL airfield from a stay at St. Truiden, Belgium. Upon approaching Deelen he spotted some six airplanes near Deelen airfield, at first assuming it were German single engined fighters part of the Reichsluftverteidigung he continues his approach. However, suddenly these presumed friendlies turned and came roaring his way all guns blazing. It turned out to be a flight of six Spitfire MK.IX's of 132.Sqn led by the ace Geoffrey Page. Jabs narrowly managed to evade the murderous fire of the six Spitfires on their first pass

The Spitfires needed to regroup to continue the chase of Jabs a/c. Given the odds one would expect Jabs to try and escape or perhaps attempt a wheel up landing in the nearest field, but instead he turned his kite, and replied in kind as the Spitfires formed up and came roaring towards him for a second pass. Jabs damaged a first Spitfire, flown by John Coulton from New Zealand. Coulton managed to make a wheels up landing near Deelen airfield, lived to tell the tale and was made a POW. Apparently this move by Jabs confused the pilots of the Spitfires quite a bit. Using the confusion to his advantage, Jabs now tried to escape and make it to Deelen airfield for landing. However, as soon as the Spitfire had formed up again they chased Jabs down and as one might expect the superior performance of the Spitfires made sure they soon closed in in him. Then Jabs pulled off the same trick for a second time, turned is aircraft as quick as he could and once again flew right into them all guns blazing, shooting up a second Spitfire in the event. This second Spitfire was flown by P/O R.B. Pullin. Pullin also tried to make an emergency landing, but his kite apparently was severely damaged and crashed, killing Pullin. Jabs Bf-110G was also severely damaged in the second pass so he too had to make an emergency landing. Jabs managed to fabricate a wheels up landing on Deelen airfield, managed to get out of his a/c and ran for the nearest ditch or bomb shelter....to see his mount being completely destroyed on the ground as the remaining Spitfires strafed it. I believe Geoffrey Page is credited with ultimately forcing Jabs down and destroying Jabs' kite on the ground. Jabs and Page apparently got acquainted in the post war years as well.

John Coulton was taken prisoner, and taken to Deelen airfield. As he was lightly wounded his wounds were tended to. Jabs also wrote him a little note or postcard for him requesting that he be treated well as a POW. Jabs survided the war with some 50 victories, so did John Coulton. Sometime in the late sixties or early seventies Coulton read or heard something about a certain German politician and businessman called Jabs, and with some help he established that indeed this was the same Jabs he had 'done business' with during the war. The two got in touch and eventually met in person in 1972. A friendship developed between the two enemies, somewhat similar to Adolf Galland and Douglas Bader.

As for the pictures. PIC 1: A portait pic of Jabs, PIC 2: Jabs[L] talking to a rather bruised looking John Coulton (with bandage on his head) The man with the white officers cap is mentioned as being the 1A of NJG.1 Hptm. Knickmeier and the guy right of Coulton is stated as being Jabs' bordfunker Erich Weissflog, PIC 3+4: Jabs checking out John Coultons Spitfire IX, I would say again with Hptm. Knickmeier. Given the state of the wreckage I can imagine why Coulton looks a little bruised PIC 5: the note Jabs gave to Coulton stating that he should be treated properly as a POW, PIC 6:The two former enemies meet again in 1972. To the right Hans-Joachim Jabs and to the left John Coulton

Attachments

• 1944 Note from Jabs to John Coulton.jpg
    1944 Note from Jabs to John Coulton.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 192
  • Copy of Jabs05.jpg
    Copy of Jabs05.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 196
  • Jabs _Coulton at Deelen, NL - 1944.jpg
    Jabs _Coulton at Deelen, NL - 1944.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 193
  • Jabs checking out John Coultons Spitfire MkIX.jpg
    Jabs checking out John Coultons Spitfire MkIX.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 205
  • Jabs[R]_Coulton[L]_1972.jpg
    Jabs[R]_Coulton[L]_1972.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Minor update of what I think is a major step in the build proces. The fuselage has been glued together with all the interior bits in it. A little make shift seat has been made out of tamiya tape. It still needs some color to it and perhaps isn't totally to scale, but it works for me. Plus, with the major sub-assemblies dry fitted and taped to the recently glued fuselage...it all of a sudden starts to look like a Bf-110 real fast :D

Also, now that I've settled on Jabs' a/c around late April '44, here's also some additional reference material on how his a/c at the time might have looked. The caption that goes with this picture say this is Jabs exiting his aircraft while visiting Schnaufers Gruppe @ St. Trond. I've extracted a few bits of information out of these pictures. Upon this I hope to base the colors I want to use for this build, plus some artistic license/educated guess to decide upon a few other things such as colors of the unit markings, victory markings, Englandblizt emblem, and radar equipment.

1. Obvioulsy (assuming this is indeed Jabs' a/c) the a/c sports the chevron of a Geschwaderkommodore
2. his a/c has the Schrage Music 20mm cannon in the back of the cockpit.
3. As far as I can tell Jabs a/c appears to have the typical RLM76 on the fuselage with a what appears to be a rather rough (not the typical German splinter style) RLM74/RLM75 camo pattern on the upper part of the fuselage, and if you look closely most likely also on the wings. These pictures don't show any heavy mottling on the fuselage sides, so perhaps no mottling, or at best a very lightly applied mottling. The a/c looks quite a bit different compared to the pictures of Jabs mount in April/May 1945 (picture also included of his kite after it was belly-landed in Sweden, this was RLM76 overall with a rather light mottling all over)
4. the date of this picture has to be between late March 1944 and late June 1944 (well within the time-frame I looking for) If you look closely at the Ritterkreuze of both Schnaufer and Jabs you can see Jabs already has oakleaves added to it (awarded in late March 1944), Schnaufer on the other hand does not yet have the oakleaves thingy added to his Ritterkreuz (Schnaufer received the Oakleaves in late June 1944)

That's it for now. If anybody thinks I'm missing the mark as far as my assumptions go regarding Jabs' a/c or if somebody has any additional info (werk.nr any1?) on Jabs' a/c at this time feel free to let me know.

23 - fuselage 02.JPG
22 - fuselage 01.JPG

Attachments

• Jabs at St Truiden.jpg
    Jabs at St Truiden.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 193
  • 1-Bf-110G4-Stab-NJG1-(G9+AA)-Hans-Joachim-Jabs-WNr140655-01.jpg
    1-Bf-110G4-Stab-NJG1-(G9+AA)-Hans-Joachim-Jabs-WNr140655-01.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 177
  • 24 - dry fit main components 01.JPG
    24 - dry fit main components 01.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 191
  • 25 - dry fit main components 02.JPG
    25 - dry fit main components 02.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Thanks guys!

@Hotntot
The wings and nacelles indeed went together rather OK in the end , but it took a loot of (boring) filling/sanding to get the nacelles right. I have more kits of the Eduard Bf-110 series in the stash, and with the next one I'm likely to change my approach on the nacelles a bit to hopefully have a little less trouble getting these right. I've been toying around with the nacelles and wings of these other kits, dryfitting them and such, and I think I have found a way that would make the fit of these nacelles considerable better.

Some excellent information not only with the subject pilot but also with some of the fitments. Also like the way the build is coming together, some good stuff going on here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back