Eduard BF-110G-4 Weekend Edition 1/48

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've been doing some minor filling and sanding here and there, but for the moment that isn't all that interesting (pics of that will follow eventually though) Among other things I've been working on is the radar equipment. The Eduard kit provides 3 versions of the SN2 dipoles (A/B/D variants) But given the period Jabs used this a/c I think his kits at the time also would need an Additional FuG212 mast on the nose, similar to the one as can be seen of PIC 1 (of Wim Johnens' a/c as photographed on Dubendorg, Switzerland after he had to land there)

So I thought a bit about how to create this. I suddenly remembered by CyberHobby Bf-110D kit (which I sadly messed up) and that it comes with parts to make a FuG202 radar set. So, I looked up these parts and set out to create some new radar antenna's. The Dragon kit comes with a small bag of plastic parts to make the FuG202 completely out of plastic and also gives on the option to use thin metal pieces for the actual antennas (PIC 23). Truth be told, I had to cheat a little, as this is for a FuG202 antenna and the FuG212 antenna's are a tad smaller, so I clipped the metal antenna parts slightly. The mount itself probably also is a little smaller on the actual thing, but I felt that was rather difficult to accomplish without wrecking the entine mount (it's really small bits and pieces)

So, PIC 4 shows how it ended up looking after. As said, it isn't completely accurate, but it works for me. I did look for FuG212 after market stuff in 1/48 scale, but wasn't able to find any. I still need to find a way to place it on the nose of the 110, but that shouldn't be too difficult to accomplish. The nose section of this Eduard G-4 kit has a small hole in it for what I think is part of the optional gun camera that could be installed. Kit instructions want you to close it up with a little plastic cap, but perhaps this was also utilized to install this additional radar antenna.

NOTE: A fellow Dutch model builder also offered to send me some PE FuG212 antenna's from the Dragon 1//48 Ta-154 kit, so perhaps I'll leave my own creation as is and exchange it for a 'proper' FuG212 arrangement.

Attachments

• 1-Bf-110G-5.NJG6-%28C9+EN%29-Wilhem-Johnen-WNr-740055-Dubendorf-1944-01.jpg
    1-Bf-110G-5.NJG6-%28C9+EN%29-Wilhem-Johnen-WNr-740055-Dubendorf-1944-01.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_4966.JPG
    IMG_4966.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_4967.JPG
    IMG_4967.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_4965.JPG
    IMG_4965.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Looks pretty good Jelmer. The thing I'm not crazy about for PE antenna bits is that they're flat. Better off with fine wire methinks.

That's certainly something I want to take into consideration Andy! I've been offerend the PE antenna's for free, so wouldn't hurt to see how they sit, but indeed my main concern with these PE antennas (and PE parts in generals) is also that they look too flat, so I will see how both options pan out once I can compare them back to back. Perhaps I'll even try to piece together one of the Dragon antenna's with just the plastic parts or totally scratch build them (not sure how to make the cross-shaped piece of the mount without making it look chunky though).

Plenty of time to find the best solution though, as these radar antenna's won't be placed until much later on.

Last edited:
Another 'fun' little job I wanted to get out of the way. That big glass house on top. Clearparts are crisp and admirably thin, without the slightest irregularity on them. So I made sure the fit on the fuselage was good, and then set out to slightly polish all the different parts, clean them thoughroughly with 90% alcohol and windex and them dipped them in future. Came out as I'd hoped. I also ordered a set of Eduard masks for the clearparts, as I wasn't particularly looking forward to having to tackle the masking with Tamiya tape and a sharp knife.

Attachments

• 29 - gloaskens.JPG
    29 - gloaskens.JPG
    194.2 KB · Views: 154
Due to work and other RL cr*p not a whole lot is happening during the week, but I managed to get some work done on the glass house. It was my first time working with these Eduard masks and boy what a wonderful product it is. Certainly worth the extra money for this kit.

Attachments

• 30 - gloaskens 02.jpg
    30 - gloaskens 02.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 154
410 is not far behind. Not quite as extensive but weird corners around the rear facing gunsight protrusions.

Both seem pretty difficult to mask to me..although a 1/72 Hurricane I build last year wasn't much fun either. Sadly I'm currently under the impression that no seperate masks are available for my 'E' Weekend Edition (although they do come with the Limited Editions of the C/D/E and Royal Class packages...at a price)

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Moving on to some final sanding and scribing and if all goes well I hope to be able to shoot a coat of primer to see how all that turned out the coming weekend.

Minor update on this build. After quite a few minor touch up, some scribing, and a few spot that needed to filling/sanding I wanted to find out how all this came out. So I shot a coat of primer. All in all it looks pretty good considering the touch ups I had to do. There are a few areas, mainly the nose section, I'm not entirely happy about. I found it to be a rather difficult join to get right without destroying surrounding details (in particular the extra armour plate in front of the windscreen). I know there's still room for improvement at this point, but I need to think about how I might go about this without obliterating the details.

Perhaps I need to consider living with these superficial errors, rather then try to repair them and end up doing more damage in the process. After all, for me in terms of building more complicated kits this build is a leap forward as I've mostly build more simple single engined prop a/c, so I guess counting my blessings and being glad I got this far isn't such a bad approach eiter.

For the moment I'll start working on some smaller details. There's still some instruments that need to be glued onto the clearparts, and a I need to work towards getting the radiators installed.

Attachments

• 32 - primer 02.JPG
    32 - primer 02.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 180
  • 33 - neus sectie.JPG
    33 - neus sectie.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back