fairey barracuda 1/72nd by Frog

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

woljags

Staff Sergeant
Dec 28, 2010
maidenhead uk
another of my rare kits,this time a fairey barracuda mk2,i plan to add some detail this time as it has a big canopy area,pics to follow shortly

bob777-1.jpg

bob765-1.jpg

bob752-1.jpg

there isn't much detail in this kit so afterfitting the fuselage together i made up some internal detail using card,i found a detailed model showing how the interior looked
bob778-1.jpg

bob767-1.jpg

bob780-1.jpg

bob766-1.jpg

bob779-1.jpg

bob780.jpg

so far the kit is going together quite well my only concern will be the fragile undercarrage arrangement

Last edited:
bob779-1.jpg

bob796.jpg

progress so far canopy and camo now done,i'm still not happy with the undercarriage as it is taking along time to harden

Nice work so far. We Brits certainly had a knack of producing some ugly aircraft, although I shouldn't really comment, as I once was a member of a Parachute Display Team named after that aircraft (the team was formed at at former RN Air Station, where Barracudas operated from)!

yes i agree Terry,having an interest in Fairey ,Handley Page and Miles aircraft due them being built local to me i've always thought they were all odd shapes,in my eye the only pretty aircraft that we have ever built was the Hurricane

I think the Barracuda is much more of a looker than the Battle for its role IMO8) like a British version of a Nakajima B6N.
Nice model, can't wait for more developments :D

Last edited:
bob816.jpg

bob819.jpg

bob820.jpg

bob821.jpg

bob823.jpg

pics show camo and transfers going on,i finished it off with a coat of matt varnish,i've had to support the model off its undercarriage again to dry as the varnish has softened the undercarriage legs,i had this problem with the Gloster whittle and it took nearly a week to harden fingers crossed it doesn't take that long again

Therefore I would suggest painting a such parts of model separately. I mean the landing gear legs and bay doors and wheels, spinners and propellers. These pieces should be added to model at the end of assembling of a model.

Generally ...not to bad. :)

art work was done by about a dozen artists over the period but the main artist in 1970 when this kit was 1st released was Eric Carless

I've a copy of the book Frog model aircraft by Richard Lines Leif Hellstrom a mine of info on anything frog or penguin

art work was done by about a dozen artists over the period but the main artist in 1970 when this kit was 1st released was Eric Carless

Indeed I own three of them (Original watercolours), the one with the Blenheims being attacked, the Stuka attacking a tank and the other Barracuda landing on the carrier being waved on, picked them up off ebay for £25 each!!! they have a sothebys label on the back of them all too.

Ohh and Hi :)

Woljags is almost correct - the artist was VIC CARLESS who was my father who sadly died last year aged 83. I have many photographs and original artwork of the paintings he did for FROG during the 60s and early 70s that I would be happy to share with this forum if there were interest. I intend to put together a collection of his work over the next few months and would be pleased to hear from anyone who has good quality photographs and/or original artwork of his that I could include in the collection (probably in book format).

Welcome Leigh, and yes, I'm sure there are many here who would love to see your father's artwork. Especially those of us of "a certain age" !!
Start a thread in the relevant section when you're ready.

Welcome Leigh, and I too would love to see his work!

Are you thinking of publishing his collected works in book format (like Tamiya did with their 'military miniatures' box art, for instance)?

Btw, if you want photos of his box artwork, drop Bob (Woljags) a PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back