Favorite 80's big hair band

Favorite 80's Hair Band

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thorlifter

Captain
Jun 10, 2004
Knoxville, TN
Ok, I know there could be a ton of opinions and I know I'll leave some out. I'm just going to try to hit the bigger bands of the 80's and leave the one hit wonders at home. I'll start the vote and I have to vote for my all time favorite band. Night Ranger!

Last edited:

Great band in the studio, TERRIBLE live! Saw them open up for Scorps, and I couldn't understand a word Stephen Peacy was saying. The Scorps blew them away . . .

That being said, most of the "big hair" bands listed above were pretty good, but Van Halen has to be at the top of the list: great lead vocalist (yes, better than Sammy, IMO) and a legendary guitarist. It doesn't get much better than that (unless they're Chickenfoot).

My favorite band of the 80's wasn't listed...Judas Preist, but Van Halen with Diamond Dave was thee Van Halen...Sammy Hagar was good, but he didn't belong in David's place...just wasn't the same.

My other top bands of the 80's would be the Scorpions and Deep Purple, who made a comeback release with the Perfect Strangers album!

Last edited:
Damn Yankees first album was released in 1990, so they don't classify as an '80's band'. I certainly never thought of them, Aerosmith, Van Halen or Queensryche as 'hair bands'. Jeff Tate (Queensryche) hardly had any hair in their heyday.

Tough call for me between Van Halen and Queensryche.

Ok ok, I made a couple boo boo's! :lol:

Your right Adler, the Scorpions were not a hair band and I tried to leave off the bands that were considered Metal bands like your boys from Metallica, Judas Priest, and others.

Les, I probably should have left Van Halen off simply because I knew they would probably win because of Eddie and for those fools that think DLR is a front man than Sammy! hahahahaha

Eric, you don't think Queensryche would qualify for a hair band? This pic alone says it all. But your right about Damn Yankees. I listed them just because of my bias for Jack Blades as he is from Night Ranger.

Attachments

• queensryche.jpg
    queensryche.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 8,407
I guess it's a matter of perception. To me, bands like Poison, Cinderella and others were definitely 'hair bands'. I think of them like bubble gum rock, simple melodies and simple lyrics. I don't think of Queensryche as a hair band because of their good musicianship and lyrical content that was amazing. I would classify Queensryche as more of the 'progressive rock' genre like Rush, Dream Theater and Triumph.

That's my thought on it, but yes, the hair was pretty bad.

I guess it's a matter of perception. To me, bands like Poison, Cinderella and others were definitely 'hair bands'. I think of them like bubble gum rock, simple melodies and simple lyrics. I don't think of Queensryche as a hair band because of their good musicianship and lyrical content that was amazing. I would classify Queensryche as more of the 'progressive rock' genre like Rush, Dream Theater and Triumph.

That's my thought on it, but yes, the hair was pretty bad.

And giving that definition, I agree with you 100%

I agree, to me Van Halen and Aerosmith just do not fall into the hair band category. Van Halen in either configuration is my favorite band. Both changed hard rock and have left a impressive history, along with a technical history too. I like a lot of the hair bands, but too me, most hair bands (ie Ratt, Dokken, Cinderalla, and FIREHOUSE) generally do not fall into the same category as some of the super groups of rock do such as VH, Aerosmith, AC/DC, even Def Leppard.
With all that being said, I still am going to vote for Van Halen as I simply cannot not chose them!

Guns and Roses. One of my favorite bands of all time.

Since this is about favorite and not best, I will probably have to go with Skid Row.

There are plenty on this list that are not hair bands however to include:

Ozzy
The Scorpions
Aerosmith
Guns N Roses
Queensryche

Never saw Ozzy or Queensryche as "hair bands." HBs were (to me) low skill all video show/no go trans gender noise makers. 2 mentioned not the type

GnR or Bon Jovi for me....and since its late and I'm beat, Bon Jovi happened to be closer to my mouse pointer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back