Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brad Paisley

• Alan Jackson

• Sugarland

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

So folks, which is better then, old or new school country music?

Well I dont like old or new country but new is deffinatly better than the slow ass suicide music that old country was. At least with new country you kill yourself quickly! :lol:

Well I dont like old or new country but new is deffinatly better than the slow ass suicide music that old country was. At least with new country you kill yourself quickly! :lol:

I tend to like more of the newer stuff, from about the 80s on. I love 90's country. Time will never stomp out Johnny though.

Yeh, I know this is modern artists but I will take Bob Wills any day(I for voted for Toby Keith) I grew up dancing to western swing with Bob Wills, "Take Me Back To Tulsa" "Big Balls in Town" and the greatest CW song of all time "San Antonio Rose" and Lefty Frizzel "Mom and Dad Waltz" Mkloby you need to put Asleep At the Wheel on your list.

Yeh, I know this is modern artists but I will take Bob Wills any day(I for voted for Toby Keith) I grew up dancing to western swing with Bob Wills, "Take Me Back To Tulsa" "Big Balls in Town" and the greatest CW song of all time "San Antonio Rose" and Lefty Frizzel "Mom and Dad Waltz" Mkloby you need to put Asleep At the Wheel on your list.

You know - I just had to look them up. Never heard of them. Not once. But, I read they formed in '70. I wasn't even an itch in daddy's pants yet. I saw there was a tribute to them in which George and Garth participated. George, of course, is the greatest country artist of all time :D

Well, I used to like a lot (and I still like) the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band .... I also used one of their songs (the version of 'jambalaya' from 'Stars&stripes forever') as my jingle when I used to play disc jockey at a local radio... oh well, it really seems I am from a really old generation.

PS: the NGDB was FAR from depressing!

"Asleep At the Wheel" is a current group and does a lot of the old Bob Wills standards. They are quite popular. A lot of the roots for CW music can be found in the Cajun music of the early 1900s. Those tunes and the music brought over by the Scots-Irish when they came over in the early 1700s.

Dunno if the group changed setup, but the Asleep at the wheel were on stage in early eighties.

Cajun music is ok, I still have a couple of vinyls from Zachary Richard, and the guy is great. And I agree about the Irish/Scottish roots of country: many tunes could belong to either school, although the arrangement style is quite different.
As example, get the Pentangle version of 'will the circle be unbroken' from album 'reflection': it is worth the money and the time to find this record.

Now you are talking-Hank Williams and Jimmy Rodgers. How about Ernest Tubbs and Tex Ritter. Reminds me of a story of where the term Gringo comes from. I have a recording of Tex Ritter singing an old song "Green Grow the Lilacs" which the story goes was popular during the Mexican War of 1846-48. It was said that the US soldiers having taken Mexico City used to sing "Green Grow the Lilacs" while marching through the streets and the Mexican citizenry started calling our soldiers Gringos.

Now you are talking-Hank Williams and Jimmy Rodgers. How about Ernest Tubbs and Tex Ritter. Reminds me of a story of where the term Gringo comes from. I have a recording of Tex Ritter singing an old song "Green Grow the Lilacs" which the story goes was popular during the Mexican War of 1846-48. It was said that the US soldiers having taken Mexico City used to sing "Green Grow the Lilacs" while marching through the streets and the Mexican citizenry started calling our soldiers Gringos.

Is that true???

Looked up the song and it is an old Irish song. There is a thread on the web about it being the source for the name Gringo but no confirmation. The interesting thing is that a Broadway play called "Green Grow the Lilacs" played in 1899 and was the inspiration for the much later musical "Oklahoma" Tex Ritter played in a rendition of "Green Grow the Lilacs" in the 1920s. Never knew he went to the Univ of Texas and had one year in lawschool there. Anyway, the song "Green Grow the Lilacs" may have been sung during the Spanish American War intead of the earlier Mexican War but since it is an old Irish song it ties with the large number of Irish soldiers in the US Army of those days. I am going to choose to believe the story since it hurts no one and is a good one.

Looked up the song and it is an old Irish song. There is a thread on the web about it being the source for the name Gringo but no confirmation. The interesting thing is that a Broadway play called "Green Grow the Lilacs" played in 1899 and was the inspiration for the much later musical "Oklahoma" Tex Ritter played in a rendition of "Green Grow the Lilacs" in the 1920s. Never knew he went to the Univ of Texas and had one year in lawschool there. Anyway, the song "Green Grow the Lilacs" may have been sung during the Spanish American War intead of the earlier Mexican War but since it is an old Irish song it ties with the large number of Irish soldiers in the US Army of those days. I am going to choose to believe the story since it hurts no one and is a good one.

Ahhh - the old I believe button. I push that often :D

I like both old and new country but the late 70's early 80's the best as that's what I heard growing up.
Of course I am living proof you can like country, hard rock and punk and not burst into flames or explode.
Best really old country: Hank Willians Sr.
Best 60s Country: Johnny Cash
Best 70's..way too many to think about...
Best 80's Alabama
Best 90s Chris Ledoux/Dwight Yoakam
Now: Jury's still out

Best Aussie Country: Casey Chambers

Art

Users who are viewing this thread

Back