• Battleground

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Bridge Over The River Kwai

• The Great Escape

• Stalag 17

• Battle of the River Platte (Pursuit of the Graf Spee)

• A Walk In The Sun

• Kelly's Heroes

• Go For Broke

• Hell Is For Heroes

• The War Lover

• The Guns of Navarone

• Saints and Soldiers

• Sahara

• The Dambusters

• 30 Seconds Over Tokyo

• Wake Island

• Bataan

• Sands of Iwo Jima

• They Were Expendable

• The Great Raid

• A Wing and a Prayer

• Murphy's War

• The Desert Rats

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Voted for Saving Private Ryan... But i also like Saints and Soldiers (maybe thats because there's a Mormon character :) )

Granted. But I'll take Lee Marvin as a crusty WW2 sarge any day over Mark Hamil....as anything.

True... do you want a mouth full sh!t or do you want a mouth full of sh!it with peanuts?

Lee was awesome... but not in this role

He was GREAT in the old Twilight Zone episode.

Where Eagles Dare has some pretty good fight scenes in it.

I voted for Tora, Tora, Tora, for it's tons of aviation flying. It has one of the best dogfights I have seen on film, excepting some of the BOB movies or maybe the "Baa Baa Black Sheep" tv show.

I like Longest Day a lot too, and The Bridge Over The River Kwai is pretty great. Really a lot of the movies on the list make good viewing.

In the future, I hope Peter Jackson's Dambusters turns out well (Would love to see all those bombers), and maybe Lucas can get his CGI together for Red Tails.

Last edited:
Another question. One movie that isn't listed that I also like to watch is The Big Red One. I like it in the since it's a war movie and it entertains me, nothing more, and not for historical accuracy or social commentary. Thoughts on that movie?

The Big red One is worth it at least for the sunset shot of the German soldier running away from the cross with the MP-40 sling bouncing around- it's been at least a decade since I've seen it but I remeber that part (and I think it's the only movie off hand that covers the French fighting the Americans in North Africa during Torch)

I'm also surprised at the good reviews of Enemy at the Gates- I was very dissappointed in it and with the cheesy ending. There were small parts and pieces I liked and I thought Ed Harris was good in his role but it just went too hollywood at the end...The once scene that stands out for cheesiness is the cgi scene of german HQ-The Germans are fighting tooth and nail and here's these orderly rows of CGI Mark IVs- clean and doing nothing outside HQ. Small detail but it stuck with me. I could have been a much better movie.
Stalingrad is a much better movie on the subject.
I guess I'm showing my age.
Art

Ok, so heres a poll where we find out what everyone thinks is the best WWII movie ever made. Just choose one, leave your seatbacks in the upright position and no feeding Lucky!

And why bl**dy not if I may ask? I'm fricking starving and I've had about up to here (shows with hand against throat) with this blasted dry food stuff thingy....and those bones only taste like old leather!

Btw, I don't see Flying Leathernecks on the list....

Sorry if I couldn't put them all up. My brain fried after awhile and I wanted to save some to toss in the Worst thread - just for arguments sake.

Anybody like "Red Ball Express" with Sidney Poitier?

12 o'clock high for me.I have seen it in the last 3 months and just remember how well scripted,written and acted it was.

my favorites in category are 12 O'Clock high for air war, Band of Brothers for ground and Das Boot for Sea. I didn't see either Band of Brothers or Command Decision in the list.

All very well edited for realism, excellent acting and portrayal of the events and stresses of combat.

I voted 12 O'Clock high because not only were all the subplots more or less true events (as Band of Brothers) but it was about the 8th AF in a real period of trial when the Battle of Germany was not yet 'won'. Command Decision was another very realistic portrayal.

Lay and Bartlett did a great job of weaving the early 1943 true stories into one bomb group and series of events

Band of Brothers and Lonesome Dove are probably my two favorite movies of all time - but 12 O'Clock High for this forum makes more sense.

T
I'm also surprised at the good reviews of Enemy at the Gates- I was very dissappointed in it and with the cheesy ending. There were small parts and pieces I liked and I thought Ed Harris was good in his role but it just went too hollywood at the end...The once scene that stands out for cheesiness is the cgi scene of german HQ-The Germans are fighting tooth and nail and here's these orderly rows of CGI Mark IVs- clean and doing nothing outside HQ. Small detail but it stuck with me. I could have been a much better movie.
Stalingrad is a much better movie on the subject.
I guess I'm showing my age.
Art

I think it appeals more to people who werent familiar with the actual story before they saw the movie... even though it's not an American film, it stuck me as typical, formulated Hollywood fare.

It's such a cool story that perhaps people are in love with the story, the special effects and grand studio sets but ignore the production, casting and acting.

I think you should have to had seen 70% of the movies on the list before you can cast a vote!

Just noticed that "The Purple Heart" (1944) is not on the list.

Based on the true story of eight captured Doolittle Raiders who were put on "trial" by the Japanese. Fictionalized of course, but one of the great American propaganda movies of WW II. An all-time favorite of mine.

TO

1. it is a 13 part TV show and not a movie
2. It's not just aired on those dates. Several channels will air it from time to time throughout the year.

I think it appeals more to people who werent familiar with the actual story before they saw the movie... even though it's not an American film, it stuck me as typical, formulated Hollywood fare.

It's such a cool story that perhaps people are in love with the story, the special effects and grand studio sets but ignore the production, casting and acting.

I think you should have to had seen 70% of the movies on the list before you can cast a vote!

I can count on one hand the number of movies on the list I have not seen.
The thing that kills me about Enemy at the Gates is the ending to the real deal is a hundred times better then the movie- You've got a real shot through a scope (Been done to death in other movies but here it happened)
Could have had a real sniper duel...oh well I will stop beating this dead horse!

The Purple Heart is also high on my lists, one of the few movies I ever saw made my Dad cry.
I also liked The Highest Honor as well.

Ice Cold in Alex

OK, am I the only one who saw this Film ?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4d/Ice_Cold_In_Alex.jpg

Ice_Cold_In_Alex.jpg

Last edited:
isn't band of bothers a tv show aired only on june sixth and dec7th?

It was produced as a multi session presentation of one hour episodes (including interviews with Easy Company survivors who were very well played in this 'cable production' first on (IIRC) Discovery Channel. It was not released to public theatres but went immediately as a very expensive DVD...and shows up every year multiple times on cable

It wasn't a "TV" show per se just as Lonesome Dove wasn't either.

I really don't care how others wish to classify it - as collectively they were the best in show for 'All Time War Movie and Western" (for me).

BTW I didn't see Sahara (Bogart) on the List.. oops I just found it.

Ice Cold in Alex

OK, am I the only one who saw this Film ?
No
I saw it too. Good film, alot of the black and white ones are. I remember the bit with Anthony Quayle (playing the German) in the press-up position holding the truck up on his back while the rest of the crew relocated the fallen jack; big, strapping lad playing a big, strapping Aryan but that would take some doing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back