• Battleground

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Bridge Over The River Kwai

• The Great Escape

• Stalag 17

• Battle of the River Platte (Pursuit of the Graf Spee)

• A Walk In The Sun

• Kelly's Heroes

• Go For Broke

• Hell Is For Heroes

• The War Lover

• The Guns of Navarone

• Saints and Soldiers

• Sahara

• The Dambusters

• 30 Seconds Over Tokyo

• Wake Island

• Bataan

• Sands of Iwo Jima

• They Were Expendable

• The Great Raid

• A Wing and a Prayer

• Murphy's War

• The Desert Rats

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

OK well at risk of being pedantic (well you know me) I think the rock was crumbling but not actually giving way altogether - but yes in reality he would have been in for a hard time

Beer : I said Heineken, but I think it was actually a CARLSBERG (honest - go take a look if you want)

In fact I believe that the clip was used in an advert for Carlsberg at some point when discovered *many* years later.

BTW Quayle may have been a Strapping Lad - and I think Sims was a Strapping Lass only in a different way :rolleyes:

I better stop before I embarrass myself any further :oops:

No
I saw it too. Good film, alot of the black and white ones are. I remember the bit with Anthony Quayle (playing the German) in the press-up position holding the truck up on his back while the rest of the crew relocated the fallen jack; big, strapping lad playing a big, strapping Aryan but that would take some doing!

THE TRUE GLORY - From D-Day to the Fall of Berlin

Anyone seen this ? I have it on DVD bought via The Mail

It is the Official narrative of D-Day and onwards, narrated in part by good old Ike himself AND it was produced Before VJ Day ! (ie still fighting the Japanese if you please)

Good Film - try to get a copy of you can com-padres

Cromey

I see Flags of our Fathers is in the list (Great movie!) but its companion movie, Letters from Iwo Jima, isn't.

I think it's a much better movie! The battle for Iwo Jima from the perspective of its Japanese defenders. The subtitles might put some people off as the movie is nearly entirely in Japanese, but after a few minutes you don't really notice you have to read the dialogue. I'd highly recommend it.

BTW, I voted for Das Boot.

Late entry, Run Silent, Run Deep (1958).

"Das Boot" is my favorite WW2 movie. A tie is "Band of Brothers".
Second is "In Which We Serve". Noel Coward made a fine movie, albeit, propaganda.
"The Cruel Sea" is another fine flick.

I was looking over the list and saw "A Bridge Too Far" and it reminded me of two movies that I don't think have been mentioned.

Matter of fact, I had to look one of them up, since it's been so long since I've seen it. That movie was "The Bridge" and was about a group of Hitler-Youth that were ordered to hold a bridge against advancing Americans. It was black and white, I think made in the late 50's and was a pretty good movie. I think I'm going to look around and see if I can find a copy to watch again.

The other movie was "The Bridge at Remagen" which, I thought, was pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back