• Battleground

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Bridge Over The River Kwai

• The Great Escape

• Stalag 17

• Battle of the River Platte (Pursuit of the Graf Spee)

• A Walk In The Sun

• Kelly's Heroes

• Go For Broke

• Hell Is For Heroes

• The War Lover

• The Guns of Navarone

• Saints and Soldiers

• Sahara

• The Dambusters

• 30 Seconds Over Tokyo

• Wake Island

• Bataan

• Sands of Iwo Jima

• They Were Expendable

• The Great Raid

• A Wing and a Prayer

• Murphy's War

• The Desert Rats

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I really enjoyed watching: The Thin Red Line.

Enemy at the Gates was the best movie on this list, however Band Of Brothers is my favorite mini-series, movie, tv show , or anything on TV ever, but i agree with Gnomey, it is not suited for this category. I now realize I have some catching up to do as I never seen over half of the movies listed, mostly all older ones.

Really? I thought "Enemy at the Gates" was very mediocre and didn't do the real story justice.

Try "Cross of Iron", "Das Boot", "Stalangrad".. ...

Don't ban me please, but has anyone seen the Spike Lee warflik Miracle at St. something or other? Is it any good? (VonFrag ducks for cover from the inevitable incoming.)

Another question. One movie that isn't listed that I also like to watch is The Big Red One. I like it in the since it's a war movie and it entertains me, nothing more, and not for historical accuracy or social commentary. Thoughts on that movie?

A very hard choice as film making has changed so much over the years as has censorship but for ground breaking as the first fiilm to attempt to depict modern warfare and the cost payed by those involved. I will go for the 1930
All Quite on the Western Front with Lew Ayres (not the awfull remake) .
To make a film that displayed the patriotic fever that gripped nations and reality of the war at that time was very brave, considering how the world was politically in the 30's. if you havent read the book by Erich Maria Remarque I can recommend it(imo it's really good ).
Of the more up to date films Das Boot and Schindlers List are my favorites with the last scene (avaiable on u tube) from
Oh What a Lovely War as the most poiniant ever made, even more so at this time of rememberance.

Attachments

• o.jpg
    o.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Sorry for not posting some of those other movie - kinda slipped my mind. But I may have to make a poll for "Favorite WWI" movie and maybe Korea and Vietnam. Should be interesting.

Don't ban me please, but has anyone seen the Spike Lee warflik Miracle at St. something or other? Is it any good? (VonFrag ducks for cover from the inevitable incoming.)

Don't waste your money. My hat's off to the guys of the 92nd (if I'm remembering my unit right), but Spike Lee sucks and ruins everything he touches. Its awful.

Voted for "When Trumpets Fade", myself.

Another question. One movie that isn't listed that I also like to watch is The Big Red One. I like it in the since it's a war movie and it entertains me, nothing more, and not for historical accuracy or social commentary. Thoughts on that movie?

The best part of The Big Red One was that many of the scenes and conversations really happened.

I think Lee Marvin and Mark Hamil were terrible casting mistakes and over all, the movie tried too hard and never really hit the mark. I wouldn't mind seeing it again though.

Lee Marvin wasn't nearly so badly cast as Mark Hamil.

IMO Hamil was terrible but Lee Marvin was just a poor choice. Not only was Lee too old but I never believed he was the character, i saw him as "Lee Marvin" Sometimes a celebrity is too type cast into their own persona for a role.

case in point.. John Wayne wanted the role of Patton.. The Duke rocks, but he would have been a poor choice.

I might be missing it in the list, but I enjoyed 'The Eagle Has Landed' very much

Also

'Ice Cold in Alex' - Look out for the Heineken Beer at the End - mmmmmmm beer

'Band of Brothers' - Very Good Film - or more correctly series of episodes.

Cromey

Don't waste your money. My hat's off to the guys of the 92nd (if I'm remembering my unit right), but Spike Lee sucks and ruins everything he touches. Its awful.

Voted for "When Trumpets Fade", myself.

Thanks for the heads up Rabid.

Aha ! So .... you are actually naming yourself 'The Eagle Has Landed'

Did you like the film ? I thought Rober Duval was superb - should it be on the list ? :?:

Some other bits were a bit naff - but it was funny (in an ironic way) when Larry Hagman was shot by the woman and then toasted by his own grenade (you may remember)

Ah I love that movie! Thought that could be because I spent 6 years in the 1st and earned a combat patch from them.

Good movie though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back