• Battleground

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Bridge Over The River Kwai

• The Great Escape

• Stalag 17

• Battle of the River Platte (Pursuit of the Graf Spee)

• A Walk In The Sun

• Kelly's Heroes

• Go For Broke

• Hell Is For Heroes

• The War Lover

• The Guns of Navarone

• Saints and Soldiers

• Sahara

• The Dambusters

• 30 Seconds Over Tokyo

• Wake Island

• Bataan

• Sands of Iwo Jima

• They Were Expendable

• The Great Raid

• A Wing and a Prayer

• Murphy's War

• The Desert Rats

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Njaco

The Pop-Tart Whisperer
Feb 19, 2007
Southern New Jersey
Ok, so heres a poll where we find out what everyone thinks is the best WWII movie ever made. Just choose one, leave your seatbacks in the upright position and no feeding Lucky!

I voted for Midway.

I know, I know...........corny movie, bad editing, planes didn't even exist yet. But this is the movie that made me like WWII history and to this day, I enjoy watching it.

I don't know there are just too many great ones that I love.

I think I will have to vote for Das Boot. The movie is brilliant, and has to be the most realistic submarine movie ever made if not the most realistic war movie ever made.

Some of my favorites are:

Stalingrad
Patton
The Battle of Britain
The Battle of the Bulge
A Bridge Too Far
The Bridge Over The River Kwai
The Great Escape
Sink The Bismark!
Das Boot
The Longest Day
Saving Private Ryan
Kelly's Heroes
Cross of Iron
12 O'Clock High
Tora, Tora, Tora
Midway
Bataan
Flags Of Our Fathers
The Desert Rats
Das Untergang

Since I had to pick just one, my vote went for Enemy At The Gates, but I like several more movies listed above - Cross Of Iron, Das Boot, Bridge Too Far... - just to name the few.
I'm surprised that Der Untergang isn't on the list, though.

Last edited:
This a hard choice especially as I have enjoyed most of the films listed above. There is one that stands out that is not listed but then again it was not a film and that is "Band of Brothers" and it doesn't really count in this poll. There is certainly a good mix in the poll, for the older movies I really like "The Longest Day", "Battle of Britain", "Midway", "Bridge on the River Kwai" and the others of that era whereas of the modern ones I like "Saving Private Ryan", "When Trumpets Fade" and both "Letters from Iwo Jima" and "Flags of our Fathers". However film wise for me there is only one really stand out one and that is the full unedited version of Das Boot, an absolute classic and a fantastic film filled with tension and drama and everything else. One that captures the real feeling of what it was like to go through these events much like "Band of Brothers" does.

I voted for Midway.

I know, I know...........corny movie, bad editing, planes didn't even exist yet. But this is the movie that made me like WWII history and to this day, I enjoy watching it.

Me too... I love "Midway' (most of it) i saw it at the drive -in when i was a kid.

The vote is for favorite not "Best" but I had to go with Das Boot.

I always liked the german movie called The Bridge about a bunch of kids in 1945 Germany being ordered to hold a bridge against the americans in their hometown

Decsion Before Dawn- 1950,A German Medic spies for the Americans in 1945 in the last months of the war (and he's kitted out perfectly) real Germans, real ruins, real uniforms, real German paperwork and field police everywhere, German vehicles (The only faked things are the tanks but they are M-24s) and a bridge attack by P-47s.

True
it's a tough call, it's good to see both the films I voted for in both categories are neck out in front but voting for one meant I had to leave a good handful that I liked equally, behind.

The list has about 20 of my all time favorites, but SPR gets my vote. I've watched the entire movie at least 40 times; the assault on Omaha Beach about 100 times.

TO

Enemy at the Gates was the best movie on this list, however Band Of Brothers is my favorite mini-series, movie, tv show , or anything on TV ever, but i agree with Gnomey, it is not suited for this category. I now realize I have some catching up to do as I never seen over half of the movies listed, mostly all older ones.

Enemy at the Gates was the best movie on this list, however Band Of Brothers is my favorite mini-series, movie, tv show , or anything on TV ever, but i agree with Gnomey, it is not suited for this category. I now realize I have some catching up to do as I never seen over half of the movies listed, mostly all older ones.
I like Enemy at the Gates also.:thumbleft:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back