Had a great day today.
Today I flew with a C172 over Holland (the part of the Netherlands that actually is Holland). To be precise, I flew from Rotterdam to the isle of Texel and back. The C172 is owned by a friend of mine who is an instructor. I flew myself most of the way, apart from the moments that I wanted to take some pictures. My wife and my oldest son Robin were sitting in the backseat. For Robin (5 years old) it was a big event as it was the first time that ever sat in an aeroplane. This flight (see map below) took us over:
- The Hague
- Valkenburg airport, a famous WWII site (landing of German airborne troops and their defeat), still military, so I cannot post the pics.
- Zandvoort (and it's racing circuit)
- Ijmuiden (the modern harbour of Amsterdam)
- The North-Holland peninsula
- De Kooij aerodrome, famous for being base to the 1ste Java in 1940, place of the biggest dogfight by Dutch D.XXI's, still partly a military base.
- Navy harbour of Den Helder, again, cannot post the pics.
- The small and very nice airstrip of Texel
- The Waddensea, famous nature preserve and source of out earth-gas industry
- De afsluitdijk, big dam (>30 km long!) which made the Zuijderzee into the fresh-water Ijselmeer
- Pampus, with it's famous ancient fort, still protecting the old Amsterdam harbour
- Muiderslot, big medieval castle
- Utrecht
- The fairytale castle of Haarzuijlen
- Gouda
- Rotterdam
I'll post pics when I've sorted them out.
Today I flew with a C172 over Holland (the part of the Netherlands that actually is Holland). To be precise, I flew from Rotterdam to the isle of Texel and back. The C172 is owned by a friend of mine who is an instructor. I flew myself most of the way, apart from the moments that I wanted to take some pictures. My wife and my oldest son Robin were sitting in the backseat. For Robin (5 years old) it was a big event as it was the first time that ever sat in an aeroplane. This flight (see map below) took us over:
- The Hague
- Valkenburg airport, a famous WWII site (landing of German airborne troops and their defeat), still military, so I cannot post the pics.
- Zandvoort (and it's racing circuit)
- Ijmuiden (the modern harbour of Amsterdam)
- The North-Holland peninsula
- De Kooij aerodrome, famous for being base to the 1ste Java in 1940, place of the biggest dogfight by Dutch D.XXI's, still partly a military base.
- Navy harbour of Den Helder, again, cannot post the pics.
- The small and very nice airstrip of Texel
- The Waddensea, famous nature preserve and source of out earth-gas industry
- De afsluitdijk, big dam (>30 km long!) which made the Zuijderzee into the fresh-water Ijselmeer
- Pampus, with it's famous ancient fort, still protecting the old Amsterdam harbour
- Muiderslot, big medieval castle
- Utrecht
- The fairytale castle of Haarzuijlen
- Gouda
- Rotterdam
I'll post pics when I've sorted them out.
It is The Hague (Den Haag) indeed. If you look closely you'll see the "Vredespaleis", known to contain the "international court of the UN" and the special tribunals (like the Joegoslavie tribunal). I'll resize some pics tonight.