Fokker Dr1 - ‘Remember Me?’

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fokkerdr1pilot01yr3.jpg

Wurger lastwarrior Thank you.

Decided to have a break from the Fokkers' main structure and start on the pilot. To generate the basic mesh I will be using the free Make Human 0.9.0 software from Dedalo-3d.com.

This software is ideal for generating 3D humans quickly for further work in other software.

fokkerdr1pilot02xm7.jpg

This is what Make Human outputs without too much effort. A little 'rough around the edges' but the speed of making that mesh more than compensates and much better than I could have modelled.

fokkerdr1pilot03it8.jpg

For this Fokker pilot I've decided to only make the only the upper half so in Cinema 4D the mesh that wasn't required got deleted. Eyes, gums, and teeth are split from the main mesh and are now seperate objects for use later on.

fokkerdr1pilot04bv7.jpg

The 'pilot' mesh placed inside a HyperNurbs object which in turn is placed in a symmetry object. Now the clothing can get underway.

fokkerdr1pilot05dx5.jpg

Found some spare time to start the pilots clothing.

The flying 'helmet' is handmade which was probably as quick as using Cinemas' cloth tools. The goggles are reshaped cubes and when happy with the shape, the metal and glass parts were split from the main mesh and allocated their own materials which will be textured later.

The gloves use the figures original mesh, smoothed and also split from the main pilot mesh.

He waits patiently for his coat!

fokkerdr1pilot06cy5.jpg

A simple polygon structure, for use with Cinema4Ds' cloth engine, forms the basis of the pilots coat. The front and rear polygons are subdivided and the edge polygons will be defined as the seam in the Cinemas' cloth tag. Collision tags are applied to all objects the cloth is to interact with.

fokkerdr1pilot07ac5.jpg

The 'Dress-O-Matic' part of the cloth tag was used to pull the cloth onto the pilot. The seam value was set low so that I can use for defining some seams later in the process. Looks like a rubber swimsuit with this basic material!

fokkerdr1pilot08fu2.jpg

Here, a Cinema cone was welded to the main coat and some buttons added. Unwanted polygons have been deleted and only the pilots face and neck remain from the original MakeHuman mesh.

The pilot is just about ready for some proper texturing now. I hope to use different clothing leathers to give a little more visual interest.

fokkerpilotface01iw8.jpg

Wurger: Thank you. Progress with this Fokker is a bit slow but still going in the right direction.

Texturing of the pilot gets underway. Decided to have seperate maps for the skin and clothing. Starting with the face, this was UV mapped (roughly) and a basic skin sort of colour used.

fokkerpilotface02ka5.jpg

A modest amount of detail is added using photo refererence material and a few splodges of other stuff here and there.

Simple hemisphere objects have replaced the original Make Human eyes.

No need to go too detailed with this figure because it isn't going to be rendered close up.

Wurger: Thanks again. Making the pilot took longer than planned but only had limited time recently to work on this.

fokkerdr1pilot09fh8.jpg

In the short time I had Maxwell 1.6 installed (before reverting back to Maxwell 1.5) I rendered the Fokker pilot with texture maps created in BodyPaint.

Maxwell leather materials are based on ones available from the mxm gallery ( MXM Gallery . Welcome ) - still some material tweaking to do but the pilot is now ready for a basic bone structure to be added.

Wurger: Thank you. That pilot took me a lot longer than I thought which may have been to trying out some different techniques - I will probably make all future 3D pilots in the same way. The process is usually faster the second time though.

fokkerdr1pre20fu2.jpg

As the Fokker Dr1 gets closer to some texturing I've had a mess with Painter to and started to develop a tequnique to replicate the typical paint streaking of this aircraft.

Olive green or olive brown is often a good source of discusion as to what the streaked colour should actually be - I'm keeing my options open a while longer by using painter to make monochrome streaks and then use this as a mask in other paint software.

With the first test render I noticed that the green colour looks more brown depending on what's being reflected and viewing angle in relation to the object surface. This is one of Maxwells' + ponts for me - the ability to easily and accurately render colour and materials as close as possible to the real thing.

Hi,
That's great.Very good idea.but, maybe you should set colours a bit darker for textures before the rendering is started.It could help colours that are not accurate when rendered.Or the lighs should be setted in different way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back