Fokker Dr1 - ‘Remember Me?’

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I like the Spandau's, especially the part around the barrels.
I used to have an early version of cinema4D back in the old Amiga days. Unfortunately the rendering took weeks to complete somtimes, very annoying. So I stopped doing it and never started again. Keep up the work!

fokkerdr1pre14vi9.jpg

Wurger, Marcel Gnomey: Thank you.

A medium detailed Le Rhône engine is made. For now, some basic Maxwell materials are being used which will be modified at the texturing stage.

fokkerdr1pre15wy2.jpg

The engine in place. I'm thinking of making a low resolution engine for any 'in flight' images because all the detail is not required when motion blur is applied to the engine and airscrew.

fokkerdr1pre16gj2.jpg

The fuselage covering gets started! I was hoping to stretch some cloth over this part but the result didn't turn out as I hoped - there were problems getting an accurate radius around the framework. So 'plan b' went into action and I made a simple fuselage cover using some splines. The plywood side peices were then used to push out the cloth. With the corners 'pinned' the cloth stretched out much better requiring only a bit of smoothing using Cinemas' mesh brush.

fokkerdr1pre17zt0.jpg

I used a similar process as used with the earlier axle fairing part to define the fuselage structure a little. It's only really noticable at certain viewing angles. The tailplane was also made with Cinema's cloth engine but still needs some adjusment. The rudder is to be replaced with a better part.

fokkerdr1pre18yj3.jpg

A simple preview render to look at the fuselage from a different angle. Used this test to try out some motion blur on the airscrew. Didn't bother rotating the engine for this test which was only used to get a 'feel' for how much rotation to apply for a future static image. Maxwell's motion blur works very well except when it comes to rotational motion blur and some compromise has to be made with how much movement is defined. Motion blurred shadows help to compensate up for that shortcoming though.

Wurger: Thank you. I've learnt a lot from making this Fokker and the 'cloth' technique will be used on my next WW2 aircraft - to be started on completion of this WW1 Fokker.

You are welcome mate.This is an excellent work.
But, how are you going to paint this triplane? Are you going to use any kind of texture?

Wurger: The fokker is to have the colour scheme of Ltn. Friedrich Kempf aircraft - Fokker Dr.I 213/17. Some photos can be seen here: Fokker Dr1 213/17

I had a practice today at doing a streaky finish with Painter (digital paint software) using various brushes and paint settings. A digital real bristle with oil paint looks to be the best so far at getting a blended streaky finish. I expect the painting stage to be challenging. If it fails I have a black fokker colour scheme as 'plan b'!

Wuger: From the outset I decided not to make a red Fokker. I like the streaky pattern colour schemes much better. I hope to start the texturing by the weekend but that depends on other commitments.

I understand. But for sure you know that not all Richthofen's Dr1s were red on all surfaces.

fokkerdr1pre19fo4.jpg

Wayne Little: Thank you.

Not had much time to add much to the Fokker during the past few days. I was hoping to have started the texturing over the weekend too. Instead, just some tidying up of the wing struts and added the wing fixing brackets.

I used this test render to try out a sky backdrop image.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back