Fokker Dr1 - ‘Remember Me?’

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wurger: Thank you. I was just trying out a new way with this first texture test. When done properly the monochome image I will be using as a mask layer will hopefully have a more accurate distribution.

I wish the colours to be accurate before rendering - they are then influenced by scene lighting and the overall material properties - much like the real thing. Only time will tell!

The lighting used in that test is an HDRI I have in mind for a final render.

fokkerdr1pre21nx9.jpg

More details added and the flight surface areas (including the axle fairing) are just about finished at the modelling stage.

A number of texture maps will be created for this Fokker - Flight surfaces, fuselage and interior, engine and the airscrew.

Weathering, mainly from the oil leaking engine will be done last - I have a few thoughts about using RealFlow with that stage but need to do some testing with those ideas.

dr1flyingsurfaces01zt2.jpg

Wayne Little Wurger: Thank you.

The painting starts. The first 4096*4096 texture map will be for the flight surfaces and a few other parts. To help make the UV mapping easier. each part was allocated one or more polygon selection tags. All the parts to be painted were connected together to form a new object.

dr1flyingsurfaces02rw1.jpg

Using BodyPaint, the UV's were arranged using mainly interactive mapping. Although rapid, this method of mapping can cause some texture distortion at the edges of curved surfaces which is easily fixed using BodyPaints' relax function.

dr1flyingsurfaces03dx6.jpg

The base colours applied using a number of layers. The wood texture was created with Wood Workshop free from Spiral Graphics .

Very nice of you to show how things are done to render an accurate 3D picture. Very impressive. Never dreamed of doing things like this when I was fooling around with Cinema. But it would probably have taken a 100 years to render something like this on my old 7.14 MHz Amiga :lol: Looking foreward to see the whole texture on this thing, good work!

Eh...Marcel.I also had Amiga comp and it didn't last so long at all.But the quality of it..... there is a difference.:lol:

Marcel Wurger: My first machine was an Amstrad 64 with a tape drive. That gave me the computer graphis 'bug'. Then an Amstrad 128 with a floppy disc drive. That was followed in 1980/1 by an Atari STE. I built my present PC about 4 years ago and maybe next year I will build a quad core machine.

Hi Becco,
Your comp history looks almost like my.My first comp was Atari 65XE then 130 XE with a disc driver.The next one Amstrad CPC6128 with colour monitor.Some years later I bought Amiga 500+/600 and then Amiga 4000T.These were followed by my current 3 years old PC.And there is also the time to build a new one.

Eh...Marcel.I also had Amiga comp and it didn't last so long at all.But the quality of it..... there is a difference.:lol:
I had a A500 and later an A500+ 4mb RAM and a 20 MB HD :lol:
Just sold it this summer to a real freak. Before I had a C64, after the Amiga I bought myself a Pentium I, then a pII and later build myself an AthlonXP. This year I bought a dual core, works quite nicely, even with VISTA. But the AMIGA was my best computer and still gets my vote.

I had a A500 and later an A500+ 4mb RAM and a 20 MB HD :lol:
But the AMIGA was my best computer and still gets my vote.

I entirely agree with you,Marcel. Amiga was my best comp as well.:D

dr1flyingsurfaces04hl7.jpg

The next bit of texturing the flying surfaces parts was to bake an ambient occlusion that I use as a mask for a custom colour dirt - really part of the weathering process but it's more convenient to do this now while the parts are all still connected.

The moving parts are then split from the single object.

dr1flyingsurfaces05ho0.jpg

Wurger: Thank you.

Making a start on some texture details which will be finished when other texture maps are at the same stage.

fokkerdr1pre22sr8.jpg

Everything back together. Next, the engine cowl is to be remade from scratch. engine to be textured/set up for motion blur and some adjustments to the fuselage covering are needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back