Fosset Found?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thats not an area i'd want to fly in a single engine aircraft.

Was his Decathlon a turbo prob? Do they make Decathlon turbo props?

I've flown over that area in a Navajo, Seneca and a 410. I was glad they were twins!

this may sound weird but what a wonderful place if you were to pick a place to go.........this would be it.

yes if he slammed against something there is not going to be much left, with high wind, altitude and snow/ice, hot baking sun against the rocks during summer....

on a slightly different bend yes Eric I know Saddlebag well, my Dad and his best friend from San Diego meet there yearly in September and they camp off the road, beach and take a small boat out on the huge lake for a couple days and go crazy trout fishing.

E ~

(CNN) — When adventurer Steve Fossett disappeared on a solo flight a year ago, he was four weeks away from piloting a winged submersible in a Pacific Ocean dive to the deepest spot on Earth — the Mariana Trench, the head of the company that made the craft said.

At Fossett's request, Hawkes Ocean Technologies built the vessel Deep Flight Challenger so the millionaire could try to set a solo-dive record to the Mariana Trench, 37,000 feet below the ocean's surface, company owner Graham Hawkes told KGO-TV in Richmond, California.

When Fossett went missing, the project was put on hold, Hawkes said Thursday. The craft is stored in a Richmond warehouse.

"We'd finished testing. All of the systems had been tested under pressure at Department of Defense facilities, and we were four weeks away from splashing it in," Hawkes said in an interview. "It (dive) would have dramatically, dramatically opened the oceans for exploration. It would have been a game-changer."

The CNN Wire: Latest updates on top stories - Blogs from CNN.com

Fossett ordeal may be over for family
By Alton K. Marsh

Newly discovered bone fragments found at the crash site of adventurer Steve Fossett on Oct. 29 are believed to be human, according to California's Madera County Sheriff John P. Anderson. The fragments will now be tested for DNA that could link them to Fossett. Testing had been inconclusive, or negative, on fragments found earlier in October.

"Pending DNA results, I believe our coroner's investigation is over and the Fossett family will finally have closure," Anderson said.

To make certain a thorough search was conducted before the winter season set in, three Madera County Sheriff's deputies, along with five volunteers from the Mono County Sheriff's search and rescue team, returned to the site one last time on Oct. 29. Before the day was over, the recovery team found a number of items that include: skeletal remains (bones), a pair of tennis shoes, credit cards, and Steve Fossett's Illinois state driver's license.

The bones found Oct. 29—a little over a half-mile east of the Steve Fossett crash site in the Ansel Adams Wildreness—are believed to be human.

There were no remains found when searches combed through the crash site on Oct. 2, although they did extract what initially appeared to be a single bone fragment that day. On the following day, search crews found three more thumbnail-sized specimens after the wreckage of the plane had been removed. An anthropologist analyzed the pieces discovered that day, along with the first four fragments found earlier in the month. He was able to rule out all but two.

Unable to determine whether or not those two bones were human, Anderson had them delivered to a state forensics lab to test for human DNA profiling. The results were inconclusive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back