Fw 190D-9 "Red1" of JV44 Lt. Heino Sachsenberg....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
While basically informative, now that Ive gotten into the meat with this Photo Etch gimmick, those sites are very vauge....

As the pics will tell below, I am waaaay over my head here with no REAL directions on where to go..... Questions abound gents...

1. The original dashboard is what Im supposed to crazy glue the pieces to.... Is it supposed to be the raised gauges dash in the model kit??? Its not a flat surface....

2. Im lost on the construction of this.... In my mind, what I interpet the process is:

Paint the gauges on the original plastic, white and red for the different guages, according to historical accuracy... Where do I get a color shot of this historical accuracy???
Then, after it dries, paint it over in gloss acrylic let dry.... Then go back and spray the original plastic dask with RLM66 enamel, let partially dry, then lightly wipe with thinner on the raised edges of the painted gauges, letting them "peek out" from under the RLM66...

Now I put on the clear plastic film that came with the PE kit... I cut them out for each row of gauges....

I glue this to the painted plastic dash panel?????

I then take the painted RLM66 PE dash piece and glue this onto the glued on film??? Im lost on this phase....
The PE panels should be painted in 2 different colors??? RLM66 is what the whole dash panel should be, but what should the etched parts be??? The etched areas are the areas around the gauge holes correct??
So I paint the whole PE piece 66, then spary it with gloss varnish to seal it, then come back and spray a different color over it, wipe it down with a wet cloth to leave just the gauge area colored with the second color???
Should I use black for the gauge holes???

I then take the painted individual gauge "covers" and glue those into the gauge holes on the first piece of PE, or should those be glued onto the main PE dash piece and then painted with the 2 overlapping colors??? Doesnt crazy glue leave a colored residue??? Im lost................

3. Ive noticed that there is a huge "gap" when looking at the side of the plastic dashboard between the film and plastic... Is this correct????

Look at the pics and u'll see what Im talkin about...

Some very experienced detailed help is need here guys.... I almost dont want to screw with this PE dashboard....

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 276
  • 003a.JPG
    003a.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 132
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 131
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 129
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 128
  • 041.JPG
    041.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 133
  • 040.JPG
    040.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 134
  • 037.JPG
    037.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 131
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 134
Dan if you use the etch and the clear plastic with dials you need to remove all the raised detail for a flat surface to adhere to.

Personally I prefer to use the original plastic and paint the raised details, but that's just me.....Check your e-mail for some incoming info!

Got the email... Thank u.... The shots of the dash are frickin unreal, I love it...
you need to remove all the raised detail for a flat surface to adhere to.
I freakin thought it was retarded to apply the PE over the raised dials.... It just didnt seem right.... I dont have the capability to remove the raised dials, no dremel tool.... Sand em off??

HA!

So, as far as the raised dials go then Wayne, pint the dials first, seal em, then overspray the 66 and remove with wet cloth???

Do u also use the decals that came with the kit?? Thats some really minute cutting of those gauge decals, and I dont have a punch...

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 151
Nice progress Dan.I have sent you replay on the PE parts.I hope it was helpul as well.These details you have made so far look very good.But I agree with Wayne if you want to use these PE pieces those details from plastic parts have to be removed firstly.

Ok Dan here are the shots from my A-5 Cockpit the components are similar but not the same.....however the same principle applies to get the same type of result!

Attachments

• Fw190A-5 Cockpit.JPG
    Fw190A-5 Cockpit.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 166
  • imgp4765.jpg
    imgp4765.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 142
  • imgp4764.jpg
    imgp4764.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 144
  • IMGP4762a.JPG
    IMGP4762a.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 148
Now, my process is....for the Instrument panel...

1. Paint the panel overall in Dark Grey.
2. pick out the raised dials in Black with a fine brush, don't worry if you get a bit of 'spill' of black go around the dials later with the grey again to tidy them up.
3. I then do a dry brushing of the Panel with a pale/light grey. this picks out and highlights the raised detail.
4. I now use a sharpened silver pencil to pick out the details in the dials, very carefully, keep the tip sharp. Once you are happy fill each dial with clear gloss. If you are not then redo some black drybrush again...silver pencil until you are happy with each dial.
5. Pick out your various other colours on dials knobs and switches with fine brush.

However if you choose to use the Dial decals they can still be used at this point. If you are serious then you cut out each one separately and carefully apply one at a time getting them correctly positioned on the gloss fill.
(I use decal softener at this point to help them settle in then hit them with another dose of clear gloss only after things are completely dry at the end of applying all decals.)
I work on each dial decal one at a time being careful to avoid touching any previous one applied so I work on opposite side to the previous one done.
when 2 or 3 are done I leave for a while to dry or set before moving on. The A-5 dials took me 4 hours on and off to apply one Saturday arvo. so it is not a quick process....but it looks great when done!!:D

The rest of the cockpit is done in a similar manner, choosing which decals if any you may wish to substitute for the fine painting...

Remember to check back to page 6 or 7 on the Baer thread for the cockpit work done there, didn't use the dial decals, but now I wish that I had done them...oh well.!!

Good job Dan.:thumbleft:These parts of the FW look nice.Keep your working on.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back