Gathering of Mustangs and Legends, 2007

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

evangilder

"Shooter"
Sep 17, 2004
Moorpark, CA
www.vg-photo.com
Mark your calendars! The Gathering of Mustangs and Legends is scheduled for September 27-30, 2007 at Rickenbacker field in Columbus Ohio. They plan to do a 51 ship formation! Last time they did this, in 1999, they had 65 Mustangs in the same place!
https://www.stallion51.com/events/gml2006.cfm

Well that kinda beats the gathering of Mustangs we had here in Oz a few years back when they got all 7 airworthy stangs together. I hope you make it there Eric, I'd love to see some pics of the big event.

The last information I heard was that 110 P-51's have committed to attend the Gathering.
Davey

That will be quite a sight wish I could make it
If you do go Eric any chance of a sound recording of the fly past all those merlins on song will be superb.

Unless I can find a publisher that's willing to cover the cost of my travel, I won't be making it, unfortunately. Too many family expenses lately between car problems and hospital stays. I wanted to go to this one and Nellis this year for the USAF 60th anniversary, but sadly, both are out this year. Maybe next year for Nellis.

If anybody gets or has access to "Air and Space" Magazine, there is an article in there about this event with a writeup on 6 of the Mustangs that will be there. Good article.

I know of one less Mustang that is going to be there now. They are stating about 110, the last I heard. That will be quite a feat. There are about 153 that still fly that I know of worldwide. When you factor in that they are 60 years old and are high performance aircraft, I don't think they will get that many. There is always that "timely" maintenance issue that shows up at the most inconvenient time. And with warbirds, that just happens. When you plan to get that many together, there will always be some that can't get there, for any number of reasons.

Kinda like the missions that they were originally made for. There were always a bunch of aborts, no matter how hard the maintanence guys tried to make sure they were all in top notch form.

It is hard to believe that there are still so many P-51s flying. This will need careful consideration to try to attend this gathering of eagles. I kind of hope there is at least one C-47 there to make an old paratrooper feel at home.

Users who are viewing this thread