GB 14 - Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire Marks

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vic Balshaw

Major General
Jul 20, 2009
Canberra
Has anybody given any thought as to what they are doing in this coming GB. I'd love to do a Spit or two but have none in the stash and I need to reduce this before thinking of getting some new stuff. Soooooooooooo…………………………………………………………………………

I thought I'd start the ball rolling by putting the a spanner in the works, so to speak and state that I would like to chuck in a couple of helicopters that gave good service to the Australian Forces. Namely a Sea King Mk 50 with the RAN and a Eurocopter Tiger ARH with the Army. Both need a good bit of modification with scratch building as there aftermarket parts.

I know there strictly not aircraft and was wondering what reaction I would get to putting these up. If you good folk and members feel this is to far outside the box, then no problem, I'll just fall back onto my other country, "Pommy Land" and do something currently in service and maybe do these as a side build.

well i'm hoping to do a MK1 and F24 Spitfires, first and last so to speak buuuuuuuuuuttttttttt !
i also would like to do my EE Lightning but am unsure if its modern enough for the home country modern GB ??????

can't see any problems doin Helo's Vic, they do fly (just !!!)

Would like to enter if poss, time permitting. Ideas at present:

Spitfire Marks: Need to get Uncle George's Spitfire PR.XIXs done finally. Contemplating doing the Airfix kit, possibly in tandem with the already started Jay's Models kit (permission permitting).
The best becomes PS888 in 'The Last' markings as painted by Uncle George, second best PS888 in her later Thai Airforce markings.

As for the choppers, go fot it IMO. If it flies, it's an aircraft. Would love to have done a UH-1H Iroquois myself for the home country modern build, but no accurate kit exists. Too much conversion work of available kits and plenty of scratchbuilding to boot - simply no time.

Well Vic......AIR-Craft says it all I think...:D

Spitty for me....just have to decide...Mk.VIII of Clive Caldwell or Bobby Gibbs or MkXIV of Ginger Lacey.....

Home Country Modern Aicraft means any aircraft currently in service with your country AF - helicopters included in my oppinion.

As for my possible GB 14 entries... wish list include Spitfire Mk V and MiG-21bis. Yet to see, if I'll be able to do both.

Vic, no problem at all with the chopper.

Myself, I'm doing this baby:

Attachments

• Profile Spit VIII DG_R MD280 155 Sqdn Paul Ostrander 800 pixels.jpg
    Profile Spit VIII DG_R MD280 155 Sqdn Paul Ostrander 800 pixels.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 119
No problem doing a chopper Vic, and sounds lie a good variety being planned so far.
Still not sure what I'm going to do. Might do a Tornado F3 (part of my 56 Sqn collection), which only just retired last year (bl**dy Government messing about again!), or a R.AuxAF Spit 24.
Both have their problems for me at the moment - the Tornado is the 1/48th scale Airfix kit, which needs a lot of work and scratch-building, and the Spit is again the 1/48th Airfix kit, which will be a straightforward build.
However, due to this latest problem with my hands, the Tornado will be easier to paint than the Spit, the latter requiring more delicate control of the airbrush, unless I revert back to brush painting.
Ah, decisions ........

Thats great news, though I wanted to do a Se King as well........might be intersting to compare the efforts of a consumate professional versus a bumbling beginner...... Mine is the airfix 1/72 incidentally Vic.

I was thinkingt of doing the Seafire 47 as well, but dont even have a Spit in stock as yet.....

Whirley bird was My choice as well, I will be in good company.

SH-60B 1/48 Italeri, when it gets here, of my old squadron HS-4. It's one of their current A/C. The B model is outfitted for ASW, the HH-60H is used for air-sea rescue, troop and material transport. HS-4 operated in Viet Nam, the Gulf and have worked a lot with the Navy Seals, and were on scene in Japan after the sunami. They were also on scene during the USS Pueblo incident. They have been redesignated from strictly ASW to more multi task rolls and are one of the most decorated HS squadrons in the US Navy. Thru no fault of my own as I left the Navy in '64, long before anything meant anything.

Or........ I could do a Sea King as well in 1/48th a Hasegawa kit, cuz they were in service when I left HS-4. I have one of them for GB#15! Carrier A/C and will be in the old Navy blue and international orange scheme.

I went thru them all, the SH-34J was used in my training squadron. Perhaps this is why I love the sound of a round engine!!!!

I would like to do a Douglas AD-4 skyraider from the VA-728 attack squadron does that fit this group build.

Hm - don't know if it would, as it's not exactly 'modern'. As I understand it, the build is for aircraft types currently in service in your home country - which means I'll be stretching it a bit with a RAF Tornado F3, as they were retired late last year, in favour of the Eurofighter Typhoon II.

I'm kinda confused. Does this mean I don't get to build the Mk.XVI Spitt that I bought for this build? I thought it was the Spitfire group build. Didn't realize it was Home country GB. Please set me straight. Thanks in advance. Oh, and I do have a modern in service craft I can do.

It's a split build. We had this once already. Basically there are two group builds running in parallel at the same time and you can make entries in one or the other or both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back