GB #17 Jet age / Recon / Transport Question (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

In an attempt at setting a realistic goal, I plan to do A DFS Kranich (AZ Model 1:72) - Small, fairly easy, and will survive the planned move better than almost anything else!

'The World's Vintage Sailplanes 1908-45' By Martin Simons shows a photo (courtesy P.Selinger) of a Kranich in service camouflage of (prob.) RLM 71/02/65, with 'gutted rear cockpit to make room for a cargo of ammunition or tank fuel. It is reported that some Kranichs prepared in this way were used to bring supplies to the beleaguered troops on the Eastern Front.'

My question:
Does anyone know to what extent the rear cockpit would have been gutted? Ie, all flight controls, or just some?
Would also appreciate any specific details of how such cargos were loaded and reinforced/ held in place if poss!

Cheers!
Evan

STA51303.JPG

STA51304.JPG

STA51309.JPG

Yep, good stuff Glenn, got 2 of those myself! (Mistel 5 versions with Ar 377A 'Julia')

Pavla do a resin cockpit set for her btw, if you want to improve it a bit.

Here's one.
F9F-2P
Unit: VC-61, Det.G, US Navy
Serial: 155/PP (BuNo.123616)
CVA-31 USS Bon Homme Richard, circa 1953.

It's all I could find....

Charles

Attachments

• 3_270.png
    3_270.png
    777 bytes · Views: 86
****Please disregard this!
F9F-2p was a Photo recon jet version of the 2 model, as were the other P versions of the Panthers and 6 8 Cougars. I wanted to do a CVA-10 Sqn Cougar, but alas, not affordable kit!

****Okay, okay...... I've said before, reading comprehension is not my forte!!!!! This is the definition of GB17.....

Feb 1st-May 31st - The Jet Age 1944-45 / Recon-Transport-Observer Aircraft of WW2 SPLIT BUILD

Last edited:
Thought I had the same problem myself Bill.

For months I've been thinking of doing my 56 Sqn Meteor F.3, assuming it fits nicely into the Jet Age 1944-1945.

BUT, in checking today, it was not taken on by the squadron until April 1946.

HOWEVER, these Meteors continued to serve with 56 Squadron with their original marking which were from 124 Squadron who took the aircraft on charge in August 1945.

HOW LUCKY IS THAT. Full history details will be given when launching my GB 17 thread.

Some do have all the luck Vic.
All my F9F's are out.
Lucky I can have a Yorktown F6F-5P!

Hs-123, Recon or no?

I know they did light harasement and recon, but does it qualify? Since she mostly ended up as a light haraser in the Eastern front. :D Shes a good little craft :)

This is copied from WikiNuttyPedia.

Prior to World War II

A small pre-production batch of Hs 123A-0s was completed in 1936 for service evaluation by the Luftwaffe. This initial group was followed by the slightly modified Hs 123A-1 series, the first production examples. The service aircraft flew with an armoured headrest and fairing in place (a canopy was tested in the Hs 123V6) as well as removable main wheel spats and a faired tailwheel. The main weapon load of four SC50 50 kg (110 lb) bombs could be carried in lower wing racks along with an additional SC250 250 kg (550 lb) bomb mounted on a "crutch" beneath the fuselage. The usual configuration was to install an auxiliary fuel "drop" tank at this station that was jettisoned in emergencies. Two 7.92 mm (.312 in) MG 17 machine guns were mounted in the nose synchronized to fire through the propeller arc.

The aircraft entered service at StG 162 in autumn 1936. Its career as a dive bomber was cut short when the unit received its first Ju 87A the next year. Remaining Hs 123s were incorporated into the temporary Fliegergeschwader 100 at the time of the Munich Crisis. The Geschwader (wing) had been created as an emergency measure, equipped with obsolete aircraft and tasked with the ground attack role. With the signing of the Munich agreement, the crisis was over and the Geschwader was disbanded, the Gruppen being transferred to other established units. By 1939, despite its success in Spain, the Luftwaffe considered the Hs 123 obsolete and the Schlachtgeschwader ("close-support wings") had been disbanded with only one Gruppe, II.(Schl)/LG2 still equipped with the Hs 123.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back