GB-56 1/48 P-38 F/G - Thunderbolts and Lightnings

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I finished up the first boom assembly. Again, this kit is stunning beyond words. Tamiya has certainly raised the bar here. I had one minor seam issue on the bottom just in front of the main gear bay. But, some Mr. Surfacer 500 and glass file and some very fine polishing sanding sticks cleared that up easily. The fit between the boom halves was amazing. I could barely feel a seam with my fingertip.
Again, I have read and watched a few videos of this kit being built. I know it is a great kit, but actually experiencing the joy of building this kit I am left speechless on this kit.

Attachments

• Boom 1.jpg
    Boom 1.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Boom 2.jpg
    Boom 2.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Boom 3.jpg
    Boom 3.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Boom 4.jpg
    Boom 4.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 19
Ok, more progress last night. I have both booms on the bird and the horizontal stab in place. Again, the fit is breath taking. I MAY have a bit of seam filling to do, but I need to look much closer and decide. To say Tamiya has the raised a new bar in kit engineering is an understatement. I was told the build time is much less than I was expecting and I agree! What a beautiful kit.

Attachments

• Boom Bottom Left.jpg
    Boom Bottom Left.jpg
    430.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Boom Bottom Rgt.jpg
    Boom Bottom Rgt.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Boom Top Left.jpg
    Boom Top Left.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Boom Top Rgt.jpg
    Boom Top Rgt.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Booms Bottom.jpg
    Booms Bottom.jpg
    630.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Booms Top.jpg
    Booms Top.jpg
    592.7 KB · Views: 15
I found a few seams that I felt I needed to deal with. Nothing horrible, just a bit looser than I cared for. I found the previously mentioned gun bays seams, then we include the boom / wing seams then the back of the radiators on each boom (first 2 pictures). I also dealt with the seam between the boom radiators to remove that seam as well.
I used my homemade "sprue goo". This stuff is just some left over Tamiya thin cement with bits of cut up Tamiya spurs. Picture 3.
I simply added some goo to each seam that concerned me, let it set up and start drying. I then used my glass files to remove the excess goo. The remaining pictures show the seams filled in.
Next steps will be to apply Mr Surfacer 1500 black and double check the seams. I will cut in new seams as needed (gun bay doors for sure). I plan on the next 2-3 days of finishing up dealing with these seams.

Attachments

• Boom Wing Seam Before.jpg
    Boom Wing Seam Before.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Boom Wing Seam 2 Before.jpg
    Boom Wing Seam 2 Before.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Sprue Goo.jpg
    Sprue Goo.jpg
    588.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Gun Bay 2.jpg
    Gun Bay 2.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Gun Door 1.jpg
    Gun Door 1.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Boom Seam 2.jpg
    Boom Seam 2.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Boom Seam Fill 1.jpg
    Boom Seam Fill 1.jpg
    436.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Boom Wing Seam 1.jpg
    Boom Wing Seam 1.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Boom Wing Seam 2.jpg
    Boom Wing Seam 2.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I found a few seams that I felt I needed to deal with. Nothing horrible, just a bit looser than I cared for. I found the previously mentioned gun bays seams, then we include the boom / wing seams then the back of the radiators on each boom (first 2 pictures). I also dealt with the seam between the boom radiators to remove that seam as well.
I used my homemade "sprue goo". This stuff is just some left over Tamiya thin cement with bits of cut up Tamiya spurs. Picture 3.
I simply added some goo to each seam that concerned me, let it set up and start drying. I then used my glass files to remove the excess goo. The remaining pictures show the seams filled in.
Next steps will be to apply Mr Surfacer 1500 black and double check the seams. I will cut in new seams as needed (gun bay doors for sure). I plan on the next 2-3 days of finishing up dealing with these seams.
Trademark "sprue goo". Also "sproo goo".

I have been working on the seams I called out in post #94. I am very happy with the boom seams between the coolers. I think the gun bay seams are almost there. I want to dbl check a few things under the magnifying lamp and if they look good, then a fresh coat of primer and one last dbl check or a little more touch up / primer.
Thanks for stopping by.

Attachments

• Boom Seam Lft.jpg
    Boom Seam Lft.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Boom Seam Rgt.jpg
    Boom Seam Rgt.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Gun Bay Left.jpg
    Gun Bay Left.jpg
    610.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Gun Bay Rgt.jpg