GBs 50 thru 57 - Finalized Schedule

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Could a mod please sticky this thread, thanks.

Calls for input on the next batch of group builds have now closed and the resulting final schedule and theme descriptions are presented below. The sequence of the 8 themes was determined by a random selection, rather than by order of popularity, with the one exception being that the theme for GB 50 (Zombie Build) was placed first by popular demand.

May 1 to September 4, 2021 GB 50 "Zombie Build"

The theme of this Group Build is to resume and finish any aircraft model that was started and abandoned, whether in a previous GB or not. The model must be an aircraft but can be any type representing any time frame. For the benefit of those "few" who are genetically predisposed to finish what they started, and who therefore have no started-but-unfinished kits, this GB will be open to include any aircraft model that has not been started.

August 1 to December 4, 2021 GB 51 "No Propellers"

This Group Build will be for any aircraft kept in the air by anything other than propellers. Jets, rocket-powered aircraft, and gliders are included. This category covers any era of aviation.

November 1, 2021 to March 5, 2022 GB 52 "WW2 Heavy Hitters"

This Group Build will be for any aircraft in WW2 service that was designed and used primarily as a level bomber. Fighters equipped with bombs or rockets, torpedo aircraft, and dive bombers are excluded from this theme. While it is recognized that many bomber aircraft went on to serve in other roles (e.g. Ju-88 as Night Fighter, Mosquito as Fighter-Bomber, etc) this build is intended to display such aircraft in their bombing role only.

February 1 to June 4, 2022 GB 53 "WW2 Eastern Front"

This Group Build is for any aircraft serving on the WW2 Eastern Front between the start of Operation Barbarossa (June 22, 1941) and the German surrender in Berlin (2 May, 1945). The theatre includes operations in Northern Finland during the same time. Any aircraft type serving with any of the nations involved in that time frame are included.

May 1 to September 3, 2022 GB 54 "Pacific Theatre 1937 to 1945"

This Group Build is for any military aircraft of any nation involved in the Pacific Theatre of Operations between 1937 and the fall of Japan in 1945. The arena is large and can include the China/Burma/India (CBI) theatre, the Pacific and Indian Oceans, the Bering Sea, South Pacific, and SW Pacific areas. Land theatres and battles in the region (Dutch East Indies, New Guinea, Guadalcanal, Aleutian Islands, etc.) are also included.

August 1 to December 3, 2022 GB 55 "Mediterranean Theatre"

This Group Build is for aircraft serving in the MTO of WW2. The area includes Greece, Italy, Gibraltar North Africa, Sicily, Malta, Crete, and the Middle East.

November 1, 2022 to March 4, 2023 GB 56 "Thunderbolts and Lightnings"

This Group Build is for P-38s and P-47s as they served in WW2 and also in many post-war roles. For example, after WW2, P-38's went on to air-racing and civilian roles and the P-47 served with ANG units and in Latin America until the mid-50s.

February 1 to June 3, 2023 GB 57 "WW2 Foreign Service"

This Group Build will be for any aircraft built in one country and used by another. Examples include American Spitfires, RAF Mustangs, etc. Aircraft built under license in another country and used by the home country are not considered meeting the spirit of this GB (e.g. Canadian built Lancasters or Mosquitoes in the RAF). This GB will include aircraft carrying the markings of a capturing country provided that the capture actually occurred. No "What-ifs" will be allowed. Also, for the purposes of this GB, independent Air Forces serving under the overarching command of another country (e.g. RCAF , SAAF under RAF command) will be allowed in this GB.
Would an Fw-189 operating in a reconnaissance group out of South Poland in 1944 qualify for GB 53 "WW2 Eastern Front"?

Question about the group build ending dates.
I was looking at the dates of next few group builds and saw that the ending dates all fell on Saturdays. I thought we were going to have the ending dates be the first Sunday after the last day of the month not the Saturday, to give that whole weekend for last minute procrastinators like me time to finish up.

Can I enter one from the China-Burma-India theatre for GB57?

Either of these. The first P-51 is from the same squadron from the movie Empire of the Sun. Don't know if you guys remember that cool scene where the P-51's are bombing the airfield and internment camp and one does a fly by of Christian Bale when he was boy actor.

mustang1.png

18e5dce064aca22aa74bb40aec9d0e4c.jpg

or dees one.

mustang 2.png

Last edited:
Looking ahead to the future, I'm stuck on this one:

May 1 to September 4, 2022 GB 54 "Pacific Theatre 1937 to 1945"

This Group Build is for any military aircraft of any nation involved in the Pacific Theatre of Operations between 1937 and the fall of Japan in 1945. The arena is large and can include the China/Burma/India (CBI) theatre, the Pacific and Indian Oceans, the Bering Sea, South Pacific, and SW Pacific areas. Land theatres and battles in the region (Dutch East Indies, New Guinea, Guadalcanal, Aleutian Islands, etc.) are also included.

The only plane I have that might fit is a Grumman Goose that I was planning to build as Cutter's Goose from Tales of the Gold Monkey from donkey's years ago. The Grumman Goose was used by the military. The Goose is not strictly military, but Jake helps the US intelligence service by helping a female spy, and opposing the Japanese. The connection? Well, Jake Cutter was a Flying Tiger, and there are even a few scenes where the odd Zero attacks the Goose.

Is that a stretch too far? Would it work for the GB?

Works for me. The location and time frame fits even though its fictional. I did the Magnum P.I.. helicopter for group build 37 a while back. I think those two TV series were even produced by the same guy although I cant think of his name. Did the Black Sheep series too I think.

Just my 2¢. With Glenn's GB helo, there was no time frame or directive, basically a free for all with helicopters. GB 54 is clearly laid out. While I strongly encourage more to join the GBs, I think we should stick to the program. There are only four GBs left after the current one before we need to look at a new list. Perhaps one of those could contain fictitious aircraft.

Just my 2¢. With Glenn's GB helo, there was no time frame or directive, basically a free for all with helicopters. GB 54 is clearly laid out. While I strongly encourage more to join the GBs, I think we should stick to the program. There are only four GBs left after the current one before we need to look at a new list. Perhaps one of those could contain fictitious aircraft.
I stand corrected

Not wanting to throw a curly and looking ahead to GB 57, a point of clarification please. Would an aircraft manufactured in one country and imported into a neutral country and put to use in home air defence during the WWII hostilities qualify for this GB? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back