GBs 50 thru 57 - Finalized Schedule

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I had a brief look inside the B-29 box and it looks that I may have done a brief start on it years ago before realizing the insanity of trying to wield this about the work-bench. It may have been just the front wheel well painted. I bought this kit in the '90s and its been shuffled around the house a bit so I'll give it a thorough go-over to make sure nothing slipped out before I commit.

I had a brief look inside the B-29 box and it looks that I may have done a brief start on it years ago before realizing the insanity of trying to wield this about the work-bench. It may have been just the front wheel well painted. I bought this kit in the '90s and its been shuffled around the house a bit so I'll give it a thorough go-over to make sure nothing slipped out before I commit.
One wheel well painted..................................... :dead2:
You may have to delay starting by a week, or two so we can ketchup!!! :rolleyes:

And myownself GB54 will be a winter Lagg3, maybe on skis?!

I assume it's the old 1/48th Monogram. I built one long long ago. Think it's still up in the attic with the old B-36. Lots and lots of plastic!

Still up there after 24 years, looking a bit worse for ware though.

20211028_054123.jpg

GB57 my Russian Spitfire Mk-IX.
I know it;s early, but!
Going thru my stash of Stars. Don't have any with an Outline. Would the outline of the red stars have been Black, or a grey color? I'll have to have them, along with the 538 and serial. The tail flash is the big problem.....
Doing This one.......... a Clave dwg, one of our own!
1_4_b4.jpg

Last edited:
Now THAT is Interesting................................
Food for thought!

Yes it is ... here is an extract from A.L. Ivanov's memories ( published in 1974 ) who was a pilot and a squadron commander of the 57GIAP

К тому же в заблуждение вводили собратьев по оружию и желтые стрелы, нарисованные вдоль фюзеляжа, которыми мы украсили свои «спитфайры», — отличительный знак полка. Были приняты срочные контрмеры — содрать с фюзеляжей традиционные «украшения».
Вооружившись стамесками, отвертками, металлическими линейками, перочинными ножами и прочими острыми предметами, мы пошли в атаку на желтые стрелы. Скобяными работами мы были заняты все свободное время между вылетами, а потом, подкрашивали фюзеляж светло-серой краской, под цвет англичанина.

the translation ...

"In addition, the yellow arrows painted along the fuselage, with which we decorated our Spitfires - the distinctive sign of the regiment, were also misled by our fellow-in-arms. Urgent countermeasures were taken - to tear off traditional "decorations" from the fuselages. Armed with chisels, screwdrivers, metal rulers, penknives and other sharp objects, we launched an attack on the yellow arrows. We were busy with hardware work all our free time between sorties, and then, tinted the fuselage with light gray paint, in the color of an Englishman."

His book ...
book.jpg

the source; Скорость, маневр, огонь

And here is an enlarged shot of another Spitfire of the 57GIAP with the yellow lightening on the fuselage seen. The Spitfire V EN311 "White 529" was crashed before the marking was removed.

spitfire_en311_529.jpg

I have a question:

August 1 to December 3, 2022 GB 55 "Mediterranean Theatre"

This Group Build is for aircraft serving in the MTO of WW2. The area includes Greece, Italy, Gibraltar North Africa, Sicily, Malta, Crete, and the Middle East.

Would Imperial Iranian Air Force, from late 1930's include / fit this GB as well?

Or as another alternative, Is any Plane of that time and place, with IIAF markings accepted?

However, the second one, seems more like a "What if" build ...

So this is what I've got so far for decals.
Thin black outlines on arrow and numbers are for clarity and will not be printed.
I'll just hand cut a mask for the "scratched off" arrow, ouch!!!!!!! Grey down first.
Some shadowing to do on the wreath of the badge!
Thanks for all your help. I think it will be interesting-er now. :cool:
GB57 X5 Decals.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back