Geedee's P-51D Cockpit Project

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thought you might want to know. A guy on eBay has a bunch of brand new self-destruct switch boxes for sale...$15 each. They are listed as: "ELECTRCAL BOX DANGER WITH 2 BUTTONS DANGER PROP BOX". These are the real deal and they're are NOT listed in anything vintage, military, aviation, or collectible.

The title quote was a copy/paste mispelling and all. That would be how to search for it.

I've seen pics of this destruct box in the B-25 and P-51. It's specific to destroy the IFF equipment and is on the left side of the cockpit for both aircraft.

Good Luck
Jim

Ok...can't wait until after Cockpitfest to let you know what I've been doing to my babe.

You guys make it very very hard to not post updates when I'm trying to surprise you, when you post your encourament :oops:

So...wot 'ave I bin doin ?

First off, I have now installed the Pilots armor plate. Obviously original armor plate is both as rare as Dick Turpins rocking horse droppings, very heavy and bl**dy expensive. Weight is a deciding factor reagrding my '51 as I need to be able to move her around on my lonesmome and adding a hundred weight of armor plate is going to make that very hard work and sweaty to boot !.

So, I've cheated a bit and got a local metal supplier to make up the plate in 5mm Black Steel. The original is near enough a half inch thick and there is no way I work with that, using 5mm at least it looks the part while still providing a fair bit of rigidty. Now the original armor plate is in three sections and welded together. I dont have any welding gear and to keep cost down and simplify things, I got them to make the main section in one peice and then bend it to the correct angle. Once that was done, I rivetted the smaller section in place (this would have been filled with weld on tyhe original....I've filled it with chemical meatl and smoothed it down to replicate the welding !). Then it was time to mount it on the chair. Yet again, I have had to differ slightly from the original in that to fit it to the seat I am using (remember its a chopper seat !) I have reduced the overall width to fit in side the seat rear support. All other dimensions are as per NAA originall drew them up.

My seat now weighs ... a huge amount ... and is a two person lift to get in and out of the fuselage to avoid banging and scratching the paint work.

The pic taken from behind the 'pit looks as though the armor plate is too high...its not... its the angle the piccie was taken at !

View attachment 202628
View attachment 202629
View attachment 202630
View attachment 202631
View attachment 202632
View attachment 202633
View attachment 202634
View attachment 202635
View attachment 202636

I've also started on the IFF Radar control box. I havent been able to find the drawing for this puppy, so I've started to make her to fit as per the photo I am using for a guideline. still got a fair way to go before I'm happy enough for it to be fitted.

View attachment 202637
View attachment 202638

I have also made the elevator trim wheel. Ok, its made from wood abut will do until I can source an original one. Had some fun making this one but am quite pleased how its turned out....
View attachment 202639
View attachment 202640
View attachment 202641

And I've also made good start on a throttle quadrant. Again, because I dont have the tools /skillset to do small radius curves, I made a smaller angle Ali plate and rivetted this in place. Once filled with some chemical metal and painted up, it looks quite reasonable I think. The actual throttle twistgrip is a simple piece of wooden yard-broom handle cut to fit. I will be looking at fitting an 'after-market' motorcycle throttle twist grip setup to give a better look and enable me to connect with a cable to the gunsight range dial.

View attachment 202642
View attachment 202643
View attachment 202644
View attachment 202645
View attachment 202646
View attachment 202647

And finally, I installed an undercart lever from a Harvard on teh trim console. Its not quite the right size, but as I have said on many a time previous, it will do until I can get an original. so, here's what the left hand side now look like.

I have two weeks off now on leave, to try and finish off and install a few more items before Cockpitfest. I have a few more surprises planned but I need to make sure I can get them done before I post any more updates rather than say its going to happen...and I'm beaten by time / weather / cost etc.

Once again, huge thanks for your patience, support and for reading this far... couldn't have got this far without you :thumbleft:

View attachment 202648

Hi GeeDee,

My name is Tom and I'm searching for information on the exact dimensions of the P-51 Cockpit.
Will researching stuff I came across your build thread and I have to say it's really impressive what you've done. In your first post you state you eventually bought a full set of blue prints.
At the moment I'm working on CAD drawings, so I can use CNC to cut the panels.
I based my work on RC model drawings which I attached to autocad and scaled to what I think was about right, which are not very accurate I guess..
What I am really interested in is, how you managed to get the blue prints.
Would you be willing to share your infomation with fellow builders?

Kind regards,

Tom

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back