Geedee's P-51D Cockpit Project

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, ive not long been a member on here and am about to undertake a full size hurricane, not just cockpit but complete plane. I have had a huge amount of help from you guys so far and I can without doubt say there are some incredibly talented people on here. The work is just fantastic and if mine turns out half as good as these on here I will be very very happy. Gary the work is outstanding and im sure il be in contact to ask advice as I go. Keep up the good work guys and I didn't even know there was a cockpit fest but I will be visiting the next one and hopefully get a chance to meet some of you.

Brilliant work

:oops:

I'll be taking my Babe to this years 'Fest. Stop by, have a beer and try her out !.

You should be able to get some stuff from the aerojumble.

Post up some pics of the stuff you've got, and once you see it here for the guys 'n' gals to see, you'll find a sudden surge in your desire to get out and do some more on your project....its a very slippery slope once you start,....but its great fun ! :)

I will deffo be there to see you guys. I am away on hols for another week then il be back to get started on it. Ive got an upholstery business which is hopefully going to fund the money pit....erm I mean project. As soon as I have some of the work started I will post up pics.

Tail warning radar. It sounded a bell when another aircraft was directly behind you. P-51's with it had these antenna on the tail.

So Glenn if you had to be 3000ft up does that mean the range was 3000ft out the back?

So I woke up in a blind panic at stupid o'clock this morning, thinking that I'd only got one more weekend to get her ready for Cockpitfest !.

Then a voice inside my head...the sensible one out of the hundreds that are in there !... told me to relax...I have two weekends instead ...gulp !.

So bright and early I strolled out to the shangar... and was confronted with a bit of a disaster area. Opened the door Ok, but had to look hard to find her in amongst all the crud that accumulates over winter. 20 Minutes later with the back garden now resembling a rednecks yard sale, I found her and got to work.

I've stripped off the crew names panel as its being updated and I wasn't that keen on the font used anyway. then got the polisher out and set to work. After a few hours, it started to rain so being the enthusiast that am, I packed up and went inside to veg for a while. The list of things to do in the next two weeks looks something like this...

Re-polish the ali
Make and install new crew names panel
Make and install new 'Kill' markings (different design to last lot)
Make and install fresh cockpit placards
Tidy up wiring from the sound system to the Pc
Try out sound system at full belt to make sure it works as it should :)
Make and install new windshield side panels
Respray anti dazzle panel in matt OD

So, only about another 20 odd hours work if all goes to plan.

And Terry will be at this years CF event so we'll cover it all between us I hope.

Two pics, 1 as opened the shangar and 2 as the polishing was progressing.

More updates to follow as things progress

Attachments

• IMAG0426.jpg
    IMAG0426.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 152
  • IMAG0430.jpg
    IMAG0430.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 164
We should start a thread....'Open the garage/ cell door and take a pic' ! :)

Looking good Gary. I'm just hoping this shingles virus thing has cleared up in time - bl**dy exhausted after Duxford.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back