Geedee's P-51D Cockpit Project

Just found this thread, Gary. It's coming along nicely.

Charles
 
Hey, thanks guys. enjoying mucking about and getting something thats beginning to look like a 'Plane.

Good progress, Gary. Now once that is done, are you going to spend all day flying to Berlin and shooting down the Luftwaffe?

Welllll. actually, what I'm hoping is, that once its up and running properly with everything connected and wired to work...allbeit on a PC... I'm hoping that it'll be used as a procedures trainer !. At least thats how I will be advertising it, in the vain hope that some-one somewhere will see the benefit of using such a beastie prior to letting a tyro loose in their real pride and joy. Aaaaaaand, if I happen to get the odd trip in an airworthy 'Stang from my potential 'sponsors' then I'll be over the moon !. Probably never happen, but hey, I live in hope.
 
Sounds like a good plan to me Gary. I hope you get a 'customer' mate.
 
Time for another quick update. Actually got some more work this past week and things are progressing but not as fast as I want them to !.

As you'll see, I've marked out the overall floorpan but here I am not going to follow the plans implicitly. The floor 'boarding' on the cockpit floor of the 'Stang is in a number of sections but as I am not building anything below the floor, I have decided for structural strength to do the whole lot out of one single peice of Ply. I will be marking out the seperate floor sections and then carefully cutting down through two layers of the ply, to give the impression that they are all individual bits...but they wont be!. I will be hopefully this weekend building a 'box'...if I can get the wood I need !... floorto place the cockpit floor on as this will not only giver added strength, allow for the cut-out, but will also allow me to mount some castor wheels to make the whole shooting match moveable !.

I'm just about done with firewall and am quite pleased with the way its turned out...apart from all those bleedin' bolts, what a pain !

Anyway, thats about it now as I'm away next week and will only have a few short days before Cockpitfest to carry on with the build so the next lot of shots will be from that event (and yes, Rocketeer (Tony) and I will do a write up about the weekend to let you guys 'n' gals see what we get up to !
 

Attachments

  • c1.jpg
    c1.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 591
  • c2.jpg
    c2.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 589
  • c3.jpg
    c3.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 608
  • c4.jpg
    c4.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 596
  • c5.jpg
    c5.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 592
looks good old chap.....nice to see it pseudo togther!!! Whilst looking forward to the Fest...we have so much to do including all that rivetting on the spit and P51!!!!!!
 
Looking good Gary! Nice work!

TO
 
Great job there Gary, maybe you can talk the wife into letting you install a merline engine. Tell her its for sound effects.
 
Oh Yea....I'd like to be there when you crawl in on your hands and knees and ask!...:lol::lol:
 
Amazing!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back