Geedee's P-51D Cockpit Project

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Firewall.

Spookily enough....I'm right out of armour plate at the moment !. So...next best thing...MDF !. Its cheaper, its easier to work with, its bl**dy lighter to carry around and when painted, will look just right.

As I dont have a spare Merlin lying around...yet... ready to bolt on the front of my Project (All donations greatfully received and put to good use !!) I decided to put a sheet of Ali behind the Armour plate (MDF) so that there is no ruddy great hole where there shouldnt be. I dont have the skill set or tools to make the pressed plate that fits in the middle, so its just plain and flat. Likewise, I will be fitting a flat plate to the r'send of the cockpit tub to finish it off, so I'm not following plans to the n'th degree.

To strengthen the Ali, I added an inch around the firewall plate to peen over and to help with extra 'meat' for rivetting the panels on, when I get that far. Unfortunately, due to the curvature of the top profile, its all 'rucked up' so I either try and beat it into shape...but that will stretch the Ali... or take it all apart and trim off the extra. Not sure what to do yet.

Not that you can see, but I'm using metric nuts and bolts here. My local hardware store doesnt have the type I should be using so for ease, and as its not going to be airworthy, I've decided to use the dreaded metric stuff. Before final paint, I will get a modelling grinder across the top of each bolt to remove the metric details. This will be an interesting job one evening as I still have 32 extra bolts to fit to each of the lower armour plate profiles....yup, my shop had run out of those too !

The blue on the Ali is a protective plastic sheet that will be removed and when I've finally got the 'tub' together, it will more than likely be polished....highly !.

Hoping to get some right- angle Ali strips early next week, then I can start on the flooring and then look at adding the lower side panels and the firewall. With that done, I need to then make all the internal ribs, to give the required profile and strength and then I can look at mounting my instrument panel. woopee !

What I do need to find out, is a wiring diagram for the Mk14 gyro gunsight, so I can see if I can get the aiming reticule to work. I dont even know if its a 12 or 24 volt system so I have some research to do here.

Right, thats enough for today, I'm off for a cold beer !

Attachments

• IMG_4231.JPG
    IMG_4231.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 574
  • IMG_4234.JPG
    IMG_4234.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 567
  • IMG_4236.JPG
    IMG_4236.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 563
Nice work Gary. with a bit of luck and a following wind, I might see you at Cockpit Fest.

Be great to meet you, I'll make sure we have a spare bottle of Spitfire for you !.

Anybody else going to this event, if so, drop by for a chat as Tony will have his Spittie there, my 'Stang will be there for all to see and I will also have my pc running flight sims for all to have a go on.

Neat work Gary, looking good. If there's a bottle of Shephard neame on offer, I'll definitely be there mate!
Far as I know, the gunsight would have been on the main 24 volt circuit. I can't promise, but a neighbour of mine MIGHT still have a manual for the (British) MkII GSCG sight, from which the K14 was licenced. He's looking in his loft to see if it's still in his box of 'junk', as he calls it! I'll let you know asap if he finds it, and get it copied etc.

Went to do some more yesterday and was pleasantly surprised when my daughter asked if she could help !. She's is now a seasoned pro when it comes to using automatic centre punches and is getting quite adept at cleaning up odd bits of ali !

Today, I went over to Tony's and we sprayed primer on the lower fuselage sides, firewall and a few other odd bits. Top bloke Tony, thanks for the use of the spray stuff and please note the correct use of PPE...sunglasses perched 'cheekily' on top of head !

I've finally got all the switches I needed for the start panel but am now on the lookout for qty 2 X switch guards. I can get nice shiny new red ones on the 'Bay, but they are the wrong shape and the mounting bracket is too short. If any one has any leads on two of these covers, any info greatly accepted. Ref the start panel, I've added a shot of a complete one to show the style of cover I am looking for. Next job on my panel is to get the correct writing engraved and picked out, but thats a job for next week hopefully.

I brought a jihugemous sheet of Marine ply yesterday and have cut out the overall' floor pan' for the project. I have yet to mark out and cut the floor into the seperate sections but will be mounting them on a further sheet of ply to form a 'box'. This will enable me to mount the connecting rods / cables etc, from the primary flight controls to a PC joystick and have them all hidden out sight. I'm hoping to have the base ready for fitting the firewall, side panels and rear bulhkead before next weekend. Then its onto making the internal ribs/longerons/intercostals etc etc. Following that, its time to get the instrument panel mounted.

Gonna be busy for a while methinks !

Attachments

• IMG_4434.JPG
    IMG_4434.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 637
  • IMG_4438.JPG
    IMG_4438.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 619
  • IMG_4444.JPG
    IMG_4444.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 607
  • IMG_4448.JPG
    IMG_4448.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 586
Looking good, Gary!

I think you're cheating though, bringing in help like that :lol:

As far as switches go, here's a lead:
Toggle Switch Safety Guard (RIP-E889*)

And check this guy's project out (I about fell out of my chair when I saw his cockpit), might help with some ideas for PC switch connections:
BOEING B737NG Overhead Panel also has comments about switches found on the left column.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back