Votes: 2 1.6%
  • von Manteuffel, General of Panzer Troops Hasso

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Paulus, Field Marshal Friedrich

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Other

Votes: 6 4.8%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think its silly to argue that Rommel was not a great military commander.

Might be silly, but I stick to my view. I still don't see any greatness in kamikaze strategies.

It was a prime example of how a Politician with no strategic sense (and surrounded by "yes men") should never be left to be the ultimate decision maker in a war.

Fully agreed.

Might be silly, but I stick to my view. I still don't see any greatness in kamikaze strategies.....

I agree with you except in most cases with Rommel, they worked. While he was racing with his tanks during the first few days after 10 May 1940, there was a standing order that tanks were not to fire their guns while moving. Rommel, knowing how surprise can be half the battle, ignored the order and had his tanks open fire, regardless of aim and eventually captured several towns and numerous French prisoners. Kamikazi strategy but thought out at least.

Also Rommel had great success in France, even though the campaign it only lasted 8 to 10 days. I guess I'll go with Guderian because he pioneered in The modern use of tanks.

I would also like to add to that list that Britain and now America outnumbered the Germans severely in all and every categories. Fair fight? 1 word: NO.

:confused: Not so fast, in several categories (tank quality, anti-tank gun effectiveness etc) the Germans had a clear advantage.

The same could be said of Patton. In my army I would want a General who thinks outside the box, is aggressive and trusts his abilities than blindly following orders - like von Paulus.

Yes, and that's why Patton would never make my best (strategic) General's list. Patton was effective partly because he had Ike Bradley to watch over him, if he was a theater commander the Allies would have had huge problems because of his ego reckless style

Marcel, I guess you've convinced me that I should have not picked Rommel, But he DOES belong on the list in my book. The question is now who should I have picked? Any Suggestions?

Guderian Manstien are excellent choices, as shown by the poll votes

Even as it was, at the end of 1941, the amount of British combat-ready vehicles was actually lower than that of the Afrika Korps. So the Germans did not have that big a disadvantage as is claimed at that time.

Yes, and quality was a big factor too, the Matilda II was king of the desert in 1940, but the Crusader Grant were no match for the 50mm Pz III and the (long) 75mm Pz IV

What intrigues me her though, is this notion that Germany could not win.....that the poor Germans were outnumbered and could not take risks.

To argue that the allies possessed a manifest destiny of winning is insulting to both sides, and completely wrong, at least for the period 1938-42

Yes, true. An effective naval strategy would have wrecked the British supply line to the desert.

That would've been just fine (to type this an francais); it was French government that reinstated Croatian language in early 1800s in the place it belongs. Not to mention building roads hospitals in, once, neglected parts of Venetian Republic.

yes, unfortunately Rommel was a pretty committed nazi. he did start to be disilusioned as the normandy campaign draqgged on, and he realized he could achieve victory, but he was never an active member of the conspiracy

Rommel here too, with Guderian right under him.
I agree, 100%. Also brings up the only error (albiet a minor one) in the 1970 movie "Patton" Actor George C. Scott says "Rommel, you magnificent bastard, I read your goddamn book"! The Tank in Battle was written in 1934 by German General Heinz Guedarian- Rommel's mentor. However, Hollywood being Hollywood, the director may well have assumed the most American viewers would recognize Rommel's name, more so than Geurdarian's- Both were great German field commanders.

Last edited:
Kesserling was resisting in Italy when Germany, practically, was defeated.
He was actually also responsible for many civilians murders in Italy, but that is another story, of course.
The next I would say Guderian.
Rommel? Hmmmm, I'm afraid I don't see all that "foxiness" in him, thinking to the First Battle of El Alamein...

Kesserling was resisting in Italy when Germany, practically, was defeated.
He was actually also responsible for many civilians murders in Italy, but that is another story, of course.
The next I would say Guderian.
Rommel? Hmmmm, I'm afraid I don't see all that "foxiness" in him, thinking to the First Battle of El Alamein...
Old "Smilin' Al" Kesserling- I have always wonder how a Luftwaffe General became re-assigned to the Wehrmacht. Any insight into this. If Albert K. ordered execution of civilians in the Italian campaign, that would diminish his standing in my opinion, as I am lead to believe that Rommel did not execute Allied POW's, unless they were trying to escape-ditto civilians. At least I would like to think that about "Der Westul Fuchs"!! I also read somewhere that in Afrika, one of Rommel's Staff Officers captured a sizeable amount of brandy, whiskey, canned beef and jam from the British- which he planned to distribute among the Higher Ranking Officers- When Rommel heard of this, he cashiered the Officer, and ordered that every man in his command, regardless of rank or status, be given an equal share of the loot. If this is indeed true, then Rommel followed the oldest example of leadership: "Officers always eat last, Enlisted men eat first." Different aspects of this scenario played out in the ETO after D-Day..

Generaloberst Paul Hausser for me.

Often overlooked. I like him best best because he stood up to Hitlers absurd and constant no withdrawal policy where ever he went.
Just curious, was he involved in the July 1944 "Valkerie" attempt on Hitler's life at The Wolf's Lair? If so, did he escape the noose and live out to war through the surrender in May 1945.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back