Ghosts...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Having had quite a few encounters myself I do as well.

Many years ago I worked part time in a pub which used to be a coaching inn ( coach houses and tack room are still there). Originally called the Unicorn hotel it is well over 300years old. We never knew the name of the ghost, it was supposedly a landlord who hung himself over the fireplace after his wife had an affair, so he was known as Humphry as in the milk ad. those of us of a certain age will remember. "Watch out,watch out there's a Humphry about".
Doors would open and shut by themselves, glasses and bottles would fall off the shelves, footsteps coming up stairs from where the cellar used to be but had since been floored over. One night after locking up I was banking up the fire with the hot ashes to keep it going 'til morning when the back of my neck went freezing cold and as I turned round an ashtray lifted up from one of the tables and sailed lazily across the room.
There was never a sense of menace or threat he just liked to let you know he was still about.

One of my very distant relatives used to own Trenear manor house in Penzance and as a young lad we went on a family visit. One of the previous owners died falling down the grand staircase and there is a bloodstain that cannot be removed even when the board was replaced the stain reappeared. The scariest thing about the visit was opening a large wardrobe on the landing and finding a Grizzly bear inside!

As a student at the local college I used to visit with friends who were renting a cottage,one of two adjoining which was a converted cow barn of an old manor house, One night we went next door to watch a video, there were about six or seven of us altogether. We had just settled down in front of the tv. when someone said
"Hey I didn't know you had a cat"
"We haven't got a cat"
"Well then what's that going up the stairs?"
We all turned to look and saw a ball of dark smoke like substance slowly make its' way up the stairs and disappear.
Many years later I was chatting with a mates girlfriend who happened to be renting the same house, her daughter kept telling her she could see another little girl playing on the stairs.
"We haven't got a cat"

I've had some interesting encounters on occasion, but nothing outright and obvious like Magnu's stories. Personally, with no solid evidence one way or the other, I say I firmly believe in the possibility of the existence of ghosts. Kinda like aliens.

I've had alot, some nice, some not so...

One of the funniest was in my flat in Oz, which was the lower level of a house built into a hill, and originally used as a potting shed by an old couple, both long since passed away. In bed awake one night, heard two sets of footsteps behind my head coming from what was now a cupboard but originally a back door. Quickly closed my eyes like I was asleep, and as they moved around the head of the bed toward the current front door, I heard an old woman's voice say "Shh, don't wake him up!" :)

Another time in the same flat, she sat down next to me while I was reading - I actually felt the mattress sag under the weight! I just showed her the cover, told her the title, and she slowly went away.

I would have told you about some of the sad characters I felt and saw in an old backpackers hostel (ex-women's refuge) I stayed in for six months, but the hairs went 90 degrees on my arms just thinking about it...the best thing they could do is pull that place down.

In short though, have felt them, seen them , and heard them. Seen an old woman and her cat (it disappeared in my hand when I went to stroke it), a dog, a man who died in a fire in a restaurant I worked in, and had my half of a shared room filled with bright points of light after me and a friend helped a poor girl move on... had my hand held in a castle in Hungary, and my shoulder held firmly but kindly while extremely depressed and suicidal on one occassion - physically felt my heart and head lighten, and actually broke down in tears ! ( Anyone who knows me, knows that is NOT a part of my character!)
On one ocassion even dreamed of the encounter about 6 months before it happened, and brought a friend closer to the memory of his grandfather when it actually occurred.

The most bizarre of all though was probably when given the feeling of being a corpse on one ocassion, by one of the hangers-on at the old man's place (an old Magistrates house complete with prison, built in 1833). My whole body went frozen and hollow, like being in a vast cave, the only thing inside me my heart, and that beating loud as hell. They levitated me about 2-3 feet above the bed till I asked them why they remained, and don't they want to move on. They quickly let me back down, and I saw a source of light retreating through the closed door.

(Also heard footsteps upstairs while alone in the same house, and the sound of someone opening a courtyard gate I knew was locked, and leading a horse in in the middle of the night - of course there was no-on there when I went out to check.)

A ton more such occurrences, but won't write them all here. Usually they just like you to know they're there (feeling of cobwebs on your face, hairs rising on your neck and arms, body going numb, or strong backache if they want you to feel their pain). Important to remember though that they can't effect you if you don't let them - problematic ones need to be told short and strong that they have no place here and to move on.

Last edited:
Definitely a believer.
I have lived and worked in 2 really old pubs back in Cambridge in the UK.
The first named 'The Eagle' (which incidentally is a must see for all u guys as it has a quite famous 'RAF' bar in the back which has the signatures of most of the RAF/USAF servicemen burned into the ceiling with candles which was done during WW2) had a ghost.You would always swear you were being watched even though no-one would be in the room and there unexplained footsteps heard often.
The 2nd pub named 'The Baron of Beef' had a ghost that lived on the 3rd floor.I used to live on the 2nd floor and I would always hear footsteps from above even though no-one lived up there.
Cheers,
Tony.

Evan your post made the hair in the back of my neck stand up!

I haven't personally had any experiences but a story an uncle told me when I was about 8 years old has stayed with me. He was an amateur photographer and a photographer friend of his was on a tour of Europe when he was in an old church taking some shots. I wish I knew where it was, I know my uncle said the name of the church but I was only 8 and It didn't stick with me and my uncle is long dead. Well to get back to the story the pictures were developed and in one of the shots taken from the back of the church looking to the alter there were two clocked figures. My uncle's friend swore there was no one in the church when he took the picture. There was something strange about the figures. They were facing away from the camera so no faces could be seen, but by comparison with the pews they looked to be only 3 feet tall. He did some research later and found that the existing floor of the church had been rebuilt over the original floor so the figures were walking on the original floor!

Interesting Tony and Glenn!

James and Dave, all I can do is reiterate my first post - they tend to know who's sensitive to them.
An example of this was in a church in a castle here in Hungary. They normally don't let people onto the upper landing which overlooks the main room and altar because of the inhabitant, but when I mentioned they had a ghost in the prison, they let me in to see if I would know this one too. She came to me after a minute and held my hand, and I told them (correctly) she was a short old woman who lived from the latter half of the 1800's to around 1930-40. Asked my mate out of curiosity to come too - he dosen't believe in such things at all. She quickly shot round and hid by my left side, away from him.
Later went to the lower church proper, and tried to quickly photograph the uppper landing -me, my mate and his girlfriend all saw a flash of light quickly shoot from the centre of the landing out the door.

Sometimes they let you know anyway, whether you believe or not: in the old man's place for example, one of the most popular requests by visitors is to be photographed in the isolation cell. People regularly feel a presence on their arms or legs while the pictures are taken, which later appear as balls of light in the developed photos. (2 people were hung in the courtyard there).

I guess it's like most things, you have to be there...

a little sceptical my self but my wife see's at least one just about every night and a few weeks ago my 12yo daughter came out of the bathroom late one night and say her great gnad mothers dog on the landing !!!!!!
its been dead for years and is buried in the back garden

Why isn't there any decent ghost programs on the picture box, besides those sh*tty 'Most Haunted' shows? :(

Users who are viewing this thread