Ghosts...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I guess you'd call me an open minded skeptic.

I don't believe in them, but I don't disbelieve either.

Heres my take....

I believe that there are at times very highly charged emotional moments in ones life and that emotional residue will take a form in one way or another - hence 'ghosts'. People being people and everyone having a different make-up I believe some people are more sensitive to these 'energy' leftovers and percieve them in different ways. Children may be able to see more than adults as they are developing and some just have a higher sense of recieving them. I once heard that even the most genius among us only use about 10% of the brain at any given time so this may be something that we're not cognizant of or in control of. Just my opinion.

The one meeting I remember is years ago I had an animal call at a house and as we were talking I heard footsteps walking up and down the stairs to the second floor just a few feet away from me - I could see nothing! The resident commented it was the ghost of the house, he was harmless and thats all he did was just walk up and down the stairs. Every hair on my back was standing at attention!

When i was posted to Napier barracks in Dortmund it was very obviously a former airfield in my second year there my room mate who we called yum yum (he was a chef and a damn good one ) came running back to the block as if he was being chased by satan him self . He was obviously terrified of something it took us about 10 minutes to get any sense out of him at all when we finally managed to figure out what he was saying it turned out he was checking the cookhouse prior to locking up at the end of the day he went upstairs to where the offices were and was coming out of the bosses office when according to him somrebody with 2 bandaged hands came through the wall of the corridor and started screaming at him in german at which point he bolted leaving the whole place wide open.3 of us went over and looked around couldnt see anything locked up and left.Yum Yum took it on himself to become historical researcher for a while and discovered that there had been several sighting since the war in the cookhouse which it turned out was the med centre /infirmary during the lufwaffe years .did he see a ghost ? i dont know but something certainly scared the crap out of him

my mom passed away in 1992, was sick for about a year, spent most of her last days at home but was having trouble breathing and went into hospital. Family was by her side throughout the night and she passed about 5 am. we all went back to the house before getting up early afternoon to make funeral arrangements. Anyway sometime while i was sleeping I woke up?? saw her sitting on the end of my bed. she looked about late twenties early thirties and all she said was 'you will be alright" not sure if i was dreaming or it was a ghost but seemed very real to me.

I've had a number of situations that I could share, but the one that really stands out would be an instance that happened back when I was about 3 1/2 - 4 years old.

My Grandmother had been watching me while my Mom was at work. In the evening, when she came to pick me up, her and my Grandmother went to the back room to get something, and I was waiting by the kitchen door with only the flourescent light illuminating the kitchen/dining area.

There was an older gentleman at the kitchen table smiling at me and of course I smiled back. He seemed very familiar and I remember having the impression that he was a real nice person. Anyway, Mom finally came out and and we left...and on the way home, I told Mom about the "nice man who was smiling at me".

Mom said "what man?" and I explained to her about the gentleman at the table. She called my Grandmother and asked her, and she also wondered who I was talking about, since there wasn't anyone there but her and my Aunt.

I guess I was able to give a good enough description of who it was that I saw...because Mom was finally able to figure out that I was describing my Grandfather. Who had passed away a year and a half before I was born...

Holy crap...

Was a skeptic till last night....my family saw an advertisement for a ghost tour featured on the travel channel so we thought oh lets try it....I had my camera and I caught two of these 'orb' things very clear on my camera and a few that are a bit faded. Also, I didn't see it but a few people just started saying holy crap because in the top window of one of the witch's jails they said they saw a face, a pale face with wavy black hair...the guide said that its a apparition that goes by the name of "The Lady in Black."

No one knows who she is but she's appeared in photos over the years. Also, pictures I've taken of the guide, behind him seems to be the outline of something and its just creepy!

I'm not a skeptic anymore......that was freaky man!!! :lol:

We visited a church that was built over their old church, the house of the first accused witch, the courthouse where they were sentenced to death, the old jail they were kept in, and the Sheriffs house where they saw the lady.

I was chatting to one of my customers last week and he is part of a team of ghost hunters who organize tours in a local mine as I was working on him I was sure someone came in to the studio but when I looked up there was no one there. He had also felt the presence. He was telling me of a ghost watch they did in a pub in a nearby town, a friend of his who was a real skeptic was taking a lot of photos using a large flash when he was suddenly knocked to the floor with a very large red welt appearing on his face.

Looking to get some ghost stories, haunted places books, for Christmas, for my adopted sisters, which are the best ones, which gives you the chills reading?

Ah! Sorry old chap. Anyway, there's an interesting one by Bruce Barrymore Halpenny, but I can't remember the proper title!
It's something like Ghost Stories, or Haunted Fields - I loaned my copy to some Judy, and never got it back. But it's a collection of allegedly true accounts about aviation-related hauntings mainly, as far as I recall, on airfields or crash sites in the UK, and makes for some interesting reading.
I do remember having first-hand experience of two of the places covered, before reading the book, and a friend, totally divorced from aviation, or the 'haunting' subject, got scared sh**less with an experience he had at a hotel, covered in the book, which used to be an Officer's Mess, although he didn't know this at the time.

Seems to me that we have done this thread already under a "Paranormal" heading. If any of you recall those posts I stand firmly on the NO SUCH THING side of the fence. A recent Gallup poll showed:
GHOSTS - 32% believe - 19% Not sure
HAUNTED HOUSE - 37% believe - 16% Not sure
DEMONIC POSSESSION - 42% believe - 13% Not sure
COMMUNICATE W/DEAD - 21% believe - 23% Not sure
I read these over and over and keep checking the calender and it still shows that we are in the 21st century.
Chris - you mentioned the old "We only use 10% of our brain" That is true BECAUSE for every actively firing neuron in the brain there are rougly 9 GLIAL cells. These are support cells which perform all of the life functions necessary to keep the active neurons alive. Neurons are so specialized that they cannot perform their own life functions. So yes, thinking (neurons) is rougly 10% if the brain. Glial cells cannot think.
I also point out that sensory inputs from the eyes, ears, skin, etc. are received by the brain which then INTERPRETS them oft times seamlessly filling in any missing blanks in the data. Thus flashing lights APPEAR to be in motion. Your "Blind Spot" or FOVEA is something you are never aware of as the brain fills in missing data. The environment is PERCEIVED not actually seen

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread