Greatest Fighter Aircraft of All Time

Which is the best

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bring it face to face, hussars? Is that because you cannot stand being wrong and would hit lanc ?! Despite the fact lanc didn't really beat you , he kind of just continued with what I was saying. :rolleyes:

The math is there, and it's actually in favour of the F-14. And the F-14 still loses !

Thats not what I meant, I meant sitting down in the same room together and having a verbal discussion, simple, no hitting just talking and why would I threaten to hit a fourteen year old kid?

some 14 yo's deserve to be smacked, heheheheheheh

"The math is there, and it's actually in favour of the F-14. And the F-14 still loses !"

Someone explain that statement to me.

I vote for the Jug. That's the P-47 Thunderbolt for all you jug heads out there. Fast, lots of firepower, and almost indestructible. Killed a lot of Krauts with this one. If you ask me, we should go back and kill some more!

go back? dude, using any WWII plane over Berlin in 1943 could make anyone have a heart attack, if not fighter/flak attack

The times were favouring the F-14, as in I was giving it extra time when in reality it would be slower. For example, in my calculations I estimated it could keep it's initial climb rate all the way up to 44,000 feet. I also gave it's climb rate for when equipped with Sparrows, not six Phoenix missiles.

jacknisen said:
I vote for the Jug. That's the P-47 Thunderbolt for all you jug heads out there. Fast, lots of firepower, and almost indestructible. Killed a lot of Krauts with this one. If you ask me, we should go back and kill some more!

Thats not a funny comment friend. There is German people here and people with German relatives here that would take great offence to that kind of comment. Just stick to commenting on the plane.

Some pilots were as scared of the P47 as the enemies were. Awesome beast with much to its credit, maybe a Top 50 fighter but it was a bomber really, well a fighter-bomber. Much smaller A2A scores than 109 or P51 etc.

Well lets see, a friend of mine who is now a Blackhawk Crewchief in my unit, was a Tomcat mechanic in the Navy and he said that when an alert happened it took them 2 minutes to get the first 2 Tomcats in the air, thats 2 minutes my friend. Not a bad time to get into the air. He said the next 2 would take about 3 to 4 minutes to get into the air. Okay 5 to 6 minutes for 4. So in 4 minutes you can have 30 to 35 Pheonix missles on Tomcats climbing to alltitude. Once the Tomcats are to Alltitude the Tomcat can fire those 30 to 35 missles at targets at ranges that the Lightning has to fly to.

I will say this again. The Tomcat is more overall capable than the Lightning, The Tomcat can carry a better overall weapons package than the Lightning, the Tomcat has a better overall avionix package than the Lightning, The Tomcat is the premier Cold War interceptor. The Tomcat is a better ovarall aircraft than the Lightning. Period!!!!

By the way, the last 2 squadrons of the old Cat just returned from there last combat mission.

You're talking about an interception from an aircraft carrier, steam catapulted from a ship is much different, and a lot quicker, than taking off from a concrete runway.

And even then, you haven't taken into account the climb to 44,000 feet while equipped with six Phoenix missiles. It would not be able to sustain 32,000 feet per minute while carrying that payload.

No one has denied that the F-14 has a superior avionics system, nor has anyone denied the weapons package is superior. What is being said is that the Lightning, from a ground strip, could be intercepting and destroying it's targets earlier than the F-14 could, even if it was carrying the Phoenix missile. Carrying a package of Sparrows just allows the Lightning so much of an advantage in the speed of interception it's not even worth mentioning.

Hello I have been read this thread alot. Could someone PlanD or anyone show us some pics of the Lightning and some performance stats for both F14 and Lightning. I never have been all that interested in jets but this is interesting to me. Excuse my lack of knowledge of both planes. I know alittle about the F14 but nothing about the Lightning (it sounds like a good plane from PlanD), is it still in use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back