Greatest guitar solos ever.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Udet

Banned
Nov 22, 2004
People, hello.

In your view what would be the best or some of the very best guitar solos in the history of rock?

If you could not tell for sure, then mention rock guitar solos that had a great impact in your musical taste.

Note that i am not exactly referring to the kind of guitar solo where extremely high technically skills would be required...it doesn´t have to technically complex...but of course, being a technically complex solo will not exclude it from the list.

So far i can think of 2 cases:

1. Led Zeppellin´s (Jimmy Page) solo on "Stairway to Heaven".
2. Pink Floyd´s "Another Brick on the Wall".

Those 2 could be more than classics.

People, hello.

In your view what would be the best or some of the very best guitar solos in the history of rock?

If you could not tell for sure, then mention rock guitar solos that had a great impact in your musical taste.

Note that i am not exactly referring to the kind of guitar solo where extremely high technically skills would be required...it doesn´t have to technically complex...but of course, being a technically complex solo will not exclude it from the list.

So far i can think of 2 cases:

1. Led Zeppellin´s (Jimmy Page) solo on "Stairway to Heaven".
2. Pink Floyd´s "Another Brick on the Wall".

Those 2 could be more than classics.

I defintely cast my vote for Page's solo; I'm a big Led Zeppelin fan, and I still get goose-bumps whenever I listen to "Stairway"; even almost 35 years later, I still think it's the greatest rock and roll song ever. Plant Page were inspired when they wrote that song; I also read that Pagey insisted on doing "just one more take" when they recorded it out at Headley Grange, and that was the definitive version that made it on to the album. Even Bonham admitted he was glad they did it again; it just felt right doing it that last time, and the result proves it.

Hmm this is very difficult because there are so many that I really like and enjoy and so many that have influenced me.

So in no particular order:

Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin) - Stairway to Heaven
Kirk Hammett (Metallica) - Fade to Black
Dimebag Darrel (Pantera) - Cemetary Gates
Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen) - Eruption
David Gilmour (Pink Floyd) - Comfortably Numb
Slash (Guns N Roses) - November Rain
Randy Rhoads (Ozzy) - Crazy Train
Erich Clapton (Derek and the Dominoes ) - Layla
Kirk Hammett (Metallica) - One
Dimebag Darrel (Pantera) - Floods
Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower
Brian May (Queen) - Bohemian Rhapsody
Zakk Wylde (Ozzy) - No More Tears
Prince - Little Red Corvette
Alex Lifeson (Rush) - Working Man

SodStitch, hello.

I have to agree with you; even if Led Zepellin is to some extent "new" to me, that solo is really exciting to hear -also the rythm guitar in the background makes an excellent work-.

Adler, hi.

That´s an interesting list; i do not know some of the songs you listed, but i´ll check them out, i might discover something interesting.

Agree with you on Zack Wylde though...he is possibly one of the top guitarists in the metal scene.

It has to be Jimi Hendrix live at Woodstock (Woodstock Improvisation)
Straight after Purple Haze and ending up as Villanova Junction.......
Ive watched it hundreds of times and it still blows me away...

My all time favorite solo is from UFO's Live album Strangers in the Night, "Lights Out". Michael Schenker has killer guitar tone and is just roaring all the way through!

Ok Adler, for you since you have some knowledge on rock and metal issues:

Are there any songs from Black Sabbath whose guitar solos could make their way through here?

I have been exposed to the music of some guy who is a guitar freak...he introduced me to a band named Van Halen.

There was a song where the guitar was seriously remarkable in my view "Girl Gone Bad", and i am not necessarily referring to the guitar solo, but to the rythm guitar as the chorus sings "giiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirl....", very wild, very good. Excellent guitar player. He advised me the guitarist of Van Halen is someone to be taken really really seriously.

Brian May, Briton Rock, not the CD version, but live performed it's an orchestra on it's one. Saw him perform this stunt several times, never heard anything like it.

Ok Adler, for you since you have some knowledge on rock and metal issues:

Are there any songs from Black Sabbath whose guitar solos could make their way through here?

Certainly check out Tony Iommis Solo's on the songs:

War Pigs
Black Sabbath
Dirty Woman
Snowblind
Sabbra Cadabra
Paranoid
Iron Man
Electric Funeral

....Just to name a few. It is rather difficult becuase Tony Iommi was allways changing his solos anyhow from live gig to live gig and they rarely were anything like on the albums. His live stuff is amazing.

Udet said:
I have been exposed to the music of some guy who is a guitar freak...he introduced me to a band named Van Halen.

There was a song where the guitar was seriously remarkable in my view "Girl Gone Bad", and i am not necessarily referring to the guitar solo, but to the rythm guitar as the chorus sings "giiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirl....", very wild, very good. Excellent guitar player. He advised me the guitarist of Van Halen is someone to be taken really really seriously.

You had never heard of Van Halen until now?

How old are you really and what planet did you come from?????

:lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, yes...i have been way too underground so far with my industrial/electro dark music, i admit it.

So i can assume you are correct with regard to Van Halen for the reaction of this guy who introduced me to it -well "introduced me" is an overstatement for when he put the song he was of course assuming i knew who the band was- was pretty similar to yours, the only difference was he grabbed one of his several guitars as if thinking of smashing it in the back of my head.

I am on my way to become 22 by the end of this year -December 31-, and about the planet usually i live on earth but from time to time i like to travel outside this particular planet.

Ok, so i might not see the guitar freak until weekend probably, who is the singer? I like the attitude of the voice...for some reason his voice sounds like the type of frontman a heavy metal band would like to have on stage right? Do you recall this particular song "Girl Gone Bad"? Listen to the closing part, all the screaming and saying, it is a voice with an attitude -if we talk about this type of rock for sure-.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok, so i might not see the guitar freak until weekend probably, who is the singer? I like the attitude of the voice...for some reason his voice sounds like the type of frontman a heavy metal band would like to have on stage right? Do you recall this particular song "Girl Gone Bad"? Listen to the closing part, all the screaming and saying, it is a voice with an attitude -if we talk about this type of rock for sure-.

That depends on which incarnation of Van Halen you are talking about; it's almost like Star Trek - there's the "original" version (my favorite) with David Lee Roth, and there's the "next generation" version with Sammy Hagar (formerly of Montrose) after 1985. My personal favorite is the Dave version; I've seen them twice with Dave, and once with Sammy; Sammy may be a better overall musician (he can at least play guitar), but Diamond Dave is definitely the better frontman and puts on a better show. Dave's lyrics tend to stick to girls and cars, the usual, and Sammy tends to be a little more intellectual (read: political) with his lyrics.

Great news, for those who haven't heard yet - it's official: the original Van Halen line-up is temporarily back together, and has announced tour dates starting in October for concerts across the USA. Tickets start at $147.00 (that's right, I said $147.00) for the nose-bleed seats, and front-row center seats start at $2000.00+ (before they get scalped!).

As a guitar player myself,I've always thought Eddy Van Halen was a fantastic rhythm player apart from his lead playing finger tapping wizardry.....
I always like to hear a player live to see/hear what he/she can do.A lot of studio solos are done many times and are overdubbed etc.......but if the end product sounds good and turns you on...then thats great.
Check out Stevie Ray Vaughn on Lenny or Little Wing.....do you class these as solos or instrumentals ?

SodStitch, hello.

Yes, you are correct; i did a fast search and found out that the singer on "Girl Gone Bad" is precisely a guy named David Lee Roth; as i said, i liked his vocal style -at least on that song-. Have to check out for Van Halen´s songs with the other singer you mentioned though.

What this band will be doing seems quite classical nowadays right? Just like Kiss, who a few years ago toured the world with the original line-up...it can help them make good good money!

That depends on which incarnation of Van Halen you are talking about; it's almost like Star Trek - there's the "original" version (my favorite) with David Lee Roth, and there's the "next generation" version with Sammy Hagar (formerly of Montrose) after 1985. My personal favorite is the Dave version; I've seen them twice with Dave, and once with Sammy; Sammy may be a better overall musician (he can at least play guitar), but Diamond Dave is definitely the better frontman and puts on a better show. Dave's lyrics tend to stick to girls and cars, the usual, and Sammy tends to be a little more intellectual (read: political) with his lyrics.

Dont forget the Gary Cherone years. When he fronted Van Halen from 1996 to 1999.

I saw them on tour with Gary Cherone and Sammy. When I saw VH with Gary Cherone I cried at how terrible it was. He just did not fit in, in my opinion.

I too like the Dave VH the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back