Greatest guitar solos ever.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

...speaking of Eric Clapton...

51DZp24lnEL._SS500_.jpg

Elvis

Great Album Elvis. Two songs come to mind on that one, the instrumental " Hideaway" (Freddy King played a great version of this as well) and "Double Crossin' Time". Guitar work on Double Crossin' Time sounds as if not only is Clapton in a bad mood, so is his guitar.
That's what's missing in much of todays guitarist, pure emotion. Nowadays it seems to be about playing as many notes as fast as you can, which isn't altogether a bad thing, but it is not played with the emotion as much of the classic rock music was INHO.

Thanks Bucksnort.
Yes that is a great album and one I haven't heard in a long time ( I'll have to work on getting that one back).
As for Clapton's playing on the album, I've heard that that is the first time a Strat was paired with a Marshall for a studio recording (at least in the Rock idiom).
This could explain some of what you're hearing.
I remember when MTV was doing their "Rockumentary" series. The first one they ever did was with Clapton and as part of the interview (and I think this "stunt" permeated with all artists being interviewed through the life of the series) he was given a stack of albums featuring himself and was asked to comment on each one.
That John Mayall album was one of them and as soon as he saw it, he got a wry smile on his face and said "ah yes, the beano album ".
As for his playing, he literally "shrugged" it off as not being anything special and said he only spent about 20 minutes in the studio, to record all of his lead parts for the whole album.
The jist of what I remember about those comments was that he was actually in the middle of several projects, so he'd dash in, play a bit on one, then go somewhere else and play on that one.
This was just one of those stops and he was genuinely surprised by all the hoopla that the album garnered, due to his playing on it.

...btw, I found several of the songs from this album on youtube a couple of years ago. I think "Hideaway" was one of them.

Elvis

Last edited:
Boston - More than a feeling
My vote for the single greatest Rock song of all time, by the greatest rock band of all time (but maybe that's just my age showing ;) ).
I even have the video from '76, on my computer!
Everytime I hear that one, it puts me right back on the bus,heading off to school (super heavy rotation on Morning drive-time rock radio so I heard it at least 3 times on the way to school every morning).
In later years, when I was learning to play drums, I played that song so often, I could play it , verbatem, without accompanyment (the drum parts, that is).
I don't think I've played it in probably 15 years, but I bet I could still do it.

Good call, Trebor. :thumbright:

Elvis

Whoever played the solo in 'Another Girl Another Planet' by The Only Ones. Proof that virtuosity is not a requirement of a good solo, just a few notes competently played.
I could say the same for Neil Young's solo on 'Southern Man'.
I admire the clinical proficiency of players like Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen and their ilk, but it often leaves me cold.
Cheers
Steve

Stona,

That would be John Perry. Listening to it now. Man, that takes me back!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changing gears for a moment, I think somewhere else in this thread I listed an old Kelly Willis song called "World without You" as the greatest country-blues guitar solo ever recorded.
...don't believe me? Now there's proof. Use high quality headphones and crank it to 11 for the full effect.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back