Greatest guitar solos ever.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Adler....I hope that you all "metalheads" know that I'm NOT trashing your choice of music or that kind of music...just trying to understand it...but a bit of banter is of course a part of the fun....right? :lol: :lol:

"It all varies from song to song"....?? Do tell....

:evil: Anything from Black Sabbeth---- And Making Movies,,,, Money for Nothing---- Dire Straights:p

Attachments

• phpavE9axAM.jpg
    phpavE9axAM.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 174
Thanks Elvis, this made my Sunday morning! Now we're talking guitar "solos" :lol:

Here's another version of Surf Rider...makes you wanna go and surf, doesn't it? :lol:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l_bUFQ56eA

I almost sent you that one.
There's a version on U-Boob (or was, it seems) that is the actual studio recording by The Lively Ones. The whole vid was just a still picture of a guy surfing a wave.
Tried to find it for you, but I don't think it exists anymore.
Actually, that vid (the one you linked to) reminds me of a time, about 20 years ago, when I REALLY REALLY wanted to go surfing, so I stopped into a sport shop and asked the guy about it, since this place isn't exactly the "surfing capitol" of anything.
He told me there are some decent little waves out on the coast and some real die-hards do go out there.
Then he showed me the "perfect board" for those little waves.
An 8' long Sport-Flite, c.1958.
It was immaculate and he only wanted $40 for it:shock:
...I should've taken it.
:rolleyes: :cry:

Elvis

Any one of the Jimi Hendrix "Red House" recordings. I purchased a CD over a dozen years ago that had about 8 or 9 different live renditions of Jimi playing Red House at different concerts and revivals. Simple amazing.

I note there's a lot of Led Zeppelin fans here, which is really cool as I'm a moderator on one of the Zeppelin forums.

What good taste we have. :D

I'd like to put a vote in for Paul Kossoff soloing on the Free song "All Right Now."

Or actually any solo he played.

I apologize if this has been posted before.

this is NOT the greatest guitar solo ever. Actually, far from it. But technically it is pretty damn fantastic. You have to watch from beginning to end though. Not musical. Just frigging amazing.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P4aA0LFiBk

lol It has to be musical as it is emitting musical notes. Still great technique, notice the better shredders move their fingers as little as possible. Its all about economy with the guitar, so many notes to cover. Legato is good for rapid fire notes, pick one and then hammer on say 6 with your fingers and so forth.

I've posted in here before but one of the best solos has to be 'Little Wing' by the God persona of Hendrix. His forsight to use effects and combine rock with blues patterns and through some guitar tricks in the bag really makes him the godfather of electric guitar solos.

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned in this thread, but if you get the chance, check out Steve Winwood's version of "Please, Mr.Fantasy" from Eric Clapton's 2007 Crossroads Blues Festival DVD.
I know, Steve ALWAYS plays guitar whenever he does that song, but he REALLY outdoes himself on this particular version.
Possibly the single best performance of the whole festival.

Elvis

I have the first Crossroads Blues festival DVD and I really dug Buddy Guy, so much groove and a cool Fender strat to boot :)

Buddy Guy, the polka dot monster!

Yeah, he's a dyed-in-the-wool legend, to say the least (and a true gentleman, from what I've heard).

I remember watching a piece of footage of Buddy and Eric Clapton trading licks.
Man, that was HOT!
It was from the 60's, possibly from the "Cream, live at the Royal Albert Hall" film.
Kinda funny to see Buddy wearing those thick rimmed glasses....maybe that's why they called him "Buddy". :D

Also, if you can ever find it, check out B.B King's ""Live at Wolftrap". Its from the mid-late 1990's and he's got ALL of his friends on there.
Eric Johnson and Buddy Guy both, just tore up the stage at the end.

Elvis

Wanted to add one more.

Found this on Youtube the other night...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5LxagCd5mQ

From the record fondly remembered as "The Beano Album", or as Eric Clapton once described it, "How I blew 20 minutes in the studio, one afternoon". ( :lol: )

I think this is still hailed as a landmark album.

Enjoy.

Elvis

Clapton's Guitar sounds downright angry on that album, especially on the song Double Crossing Time! I still like early Clapton stuff the best, Bluesbreakers and Cream era stuff.

Just wanted to add this because it always moves me, whenever I hear it.
Granted, not in the "Rock" idiom, but if you ever run across Kelly Willis's 1993 debut album, check out the track entitled "A World without You".
The solo in that song is one of those rare instances of playing the perfect solo for a given song.

Elvis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back