Greatest guitar solos ever.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SodStitch, hello.

Yes, you are correct; i did a fast search and found out that the singer on "Girl Gone Bad" is precisely a guy named David Lee Roth; as i said, i liked his vocal style -at least on that song-. Have to check out for Van Halen´s songs with the other singer you mentioned though.

The thing that made David Lee Roth so great was his stage presence. He was an amazing Front Man.

Here you go:

Jump

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e-vgQSqNtA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i9kZJaXoDs

Panama

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5g2yyvdjrE

Runnin with the Devil

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpX3NhpRGdE

Eruption

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwFXfWETlmw

Somebody Get Me A Doctor

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C19gisGTmG0

And The Cradle Will Rock

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEeqS7CfRMc

So This is Love

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo-V7gMdCbQ

Personally I never liked any of the Van Halen vocalists. Although Eddy is the best. His brother on drums is also quite good, which keeps the band going. Must admit I never heared the Cherrone era.

Adler, thanks for the links to the videos.

Indeed...the guy was some sort of gymnast...agreed, he is a good front man to have performing in your band.

SodStitch, hello.

Yes, you are correct; i did a fast search and found out that the singer on "Girl Gone Bad" is precisely a guy named David Lee Roth; as i said, i liked his vocal style -at least on that song-. Have to check out for Van Halen´s songs with the other singer you mentioned though.

What this band will be doing seems quite classical nowadays right? Just like Kiss, who a few years ago toured the world with the original line-up...it can help them make good good money!

I'm pretty sure that song is one of the two "bonus" tracks on their greatest hits album, which came out in 2000 or thereabouts; the other song was "Me Wise Magic", which was also sung by Dave.

Yeh......
I've got that much vinyl/cd's/cassettes/mini discs that I sometimes forget where stuff is...
Its just that I was listening to that album a couple of days back !!

Yeh......
I've got that much vinyl/cd's/cassettes/mini discs that I sometimes forget where stuff is...
Its just that I was listening to that album a couple of days back !!

Lemme see if I can remember this rightly . . .

It was on the second side of the album (vinyl), last song? Lemme know if I'm close . . .

Hi guys,
I guess my choice is most of Ted Nugents' - and now for the
kicker my loving ball and chain is taking me to INDY to see the
Van Halen tour with DL Roth fronting for em......Guess this means
I will have to take her to see the Cirque or say it isn't so the
Ballet...eek! Cirque wont be bad cause I get a trip to Vegas but
ballet.....:rolleyes: :( :cry: is like watching paint dry:cry: :cry:

PS
My oldest daughter was looking thru my LPs - and asked 'Dad, Where did
you get these neat old albums?' I said 'I bought em NEW!' Then she
said 'She was in love with Morrison' to which I pointed out 'If he was
alive today he would be my age!?!?'

y0 d00ds been.

Geez my problem is defining a guitar solo.

For me economy of notes is the ultimate thing that really defines a great solo.

Top 3 from a shredders point of view if you like:

Steve Vai - For the love of god
his trademark ballad. Incredible usage of notes and emotions reallly show through.

Jimi Hendrix - Little Wing
Not technically hard but oh so beautiful to listen to.

Joe Satriani - Satch Boogie
Real rock strut song, leather pants, big hair gets the fingers pumping.

For a jazz style
Wes Montgomary in West Coast Blues is classic improv. Follows the melody veery well without doubling it.

Blues style

Robert Cray - I cant think of the song from Crossroads but woah did it have some mega bluesy licks in there.

I could go on...........

But then I dont really focus on solos. A solo is only ever going to be as good as the melody is playing around.

Agreed on the Vai tune, Heinz! Although Vai's Attitude Song from theh album Flexable was really wild. For me with Satch, I'd go with Flying in a Blue Dream or the Crush of Love. Mark Bonilla's Hurling Blues Skyward is awesome too.

Going back to my influences
Rik Emmet (Triumph) Rock and Roll Machine and Fight the Good Fight
Randy Rhodes (Ozzy)- Crazy Train
Neal Schon (Journey)- Wheel in the Sky and the solo in Who's Cryin' Now just sings
Van Halen- Eruption
Richie Blackmore (Rainbow)- Snowman
George Lynch (Dokken)- Paris is Burning

There are others, but those come to mind

Ok, I'll chime in. Let's see.....

I'd go with Sammy in Van Halen any day. If memory serves, how many #1 albums did VH have with Dave? Answer - None. How many #1 albums did VH have with Sammy? Answer - All of them. Plus Sammy is just a good guy. Dave's a nut.

One guy who hasn't been mentioned yet is Paul Gilbert. He has toured with Racer-X, Mr. Big, and solo. IMO, he is one of the premiere guitar gods.

Paul Gilbert is a master at pace even eclipsing yngwie at times. Haven;t got his solo release " get outta my yard " yet though I hear its really good.

He definitely made a name for his styly incoporating Bach and other classical artists like vivaldi.

Hes also one of the quickest solo plays with the song Addicted to that rush clocking in at 17.5 notes per second. No walk in the park at all.

If we're going for "ultimate guitarist", I'm down wid Heinz; Steve Vai is probably the most accomplished guitarist of his generation (yes, even better than Satch). I believe his best album is "Fire Garden", followed closely by "Passion And Warfare". I almost agree with Heinz: I think "Fire Garden Suite: Bull Whip/Pusa Road/Angel Food/Taurus Bulba" is his best overall track; it really showcases the many talents of Steve.

My fave solos

Let there be rock - AC/DC (Angus Young)
Ride the Lightning - Metallica (Kirk Hammet)
NIB - Black Sabbath (Tony Iommi)
The number of the beast - Iron Maiden (Adrian Smith)
Back In Black - AC/DC (Angus Young)
Powerslave - Iron Maiden (Adrian Smith)
Iron Man - Black Sabbath (Tony Iommi)
Hit the Lights - Metallica (Kirk Hammet); this song live on the some kind of monster ep is awesome

like adler, it was hard for me to choose, because there are some many great songs and solos.

If we're going for "ultimate guitarist", I'm down wid Heinz; Steve Vai is probably the most accomplished guitarist of his generation (yes, even better than Satch). I believe his best album is "Fire Garden", followed closely by "Passion And Warfare". I almost agree with Heinz: I think "Fire Garden Suite: Bull Whip/Pusa Road/Angel Food/Taurus Bulba" is his best overall track; it really showcases the many talents of Steve.

Thats a great track SoD Stitch!

Its fantastic but with Vai his works are more like movements as in classical composer.

For the Love has a instantly recognisable solo esq traditional rock song layout. Whereas the Fire Garden suite although is incredible is like a proggressive over all track, see where I'm going.

The man is incredible though:D

Satch is different because hes more 'old school' going for the blues influenced licks. Vai's 10hour a day practise and loving of Zappa definitely shows through:D

Adler, you are right with Floyd's Comfortably Numb. That has to be the smoothest guitar solo to qualify in the top 100. Beautiful.

Steve Vai... hehehe... anyone who has played with Frank Zappa must be crazy talented. I liked his stuff with my favorite rock queen, David Lee Roth.

Here's one that holds it's own... Ted Nugent Stranglehold. Now that's classic guitar work. Long live the Amboy Dukes!!!!

Hello! Well I've heard many great guitar solos by several bands. I'm sure I can come up with a whole list if I sat down and thought about it for a while. However, when I read this question one solo came to mind that I'm sure would definatley be on the list; the solos in the song "Free Bird" by Lynard Skynard! Hell Yeah! 8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back