**** GROUP BUILD #11 Aircraft of the ACES Winners - JUDGED COMPETITION ****

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Look at my sig. First two GBs, with a combined 6 models, I didn't get any either. Just have fun, enjoy building the models and it will come.
Its frustrating to not be getting better.

Its ok, at least i gave it a shot.

Exactly. I know how you feel too, because I don't feel I've improved as much as I would have liked but hey, I still enjoy it.
What is killing me is it never seems to come out the way i had invisioned it, I keep trying this or that and it ends up gumming up the works.

For example, I had the p-40 looking good, and decided to muddy it up, instead of improving it, it killed the way it looked.

On my Hellcat I noticed after I had photographed it that it had a gap near the cokpit my bad eyes had missed completely, another killer mistake.

On the 109 i tried a differnt kind of weathering and it was not right either.

So it goes.

Yeah they're tricky. I've JUST got a handle on it, finally able to do some freehand stuff.
I seem to be doing ok with the freehand, I'm having trouble getting the paint to come out in a continuous flow.

Maybe its not mixed enough or too thick, but it starts and stops and has caused me some cleans ups already.

What is killing me is it never seems to come out the way i had invisioned it, I keep trying this or that and it ends up gumming up the works.

For example, I had the p-40 looking good, and decided to muddy it up, instead of improving it, it killed the way it looked.

On my Hellcat I noticed after I had photographed it that it had a gap near the cokpit my bad eyes had missed completely, another killer mistake.

So it goes.

I hear both you guys. i hadnt built a single model until two years ago. Have built 4 models, and each one is less than what i had hoped. I am still learning basics, and get more wrong that I get right. Some improvement, but a long way to go for me. I cant even get panel lines straight, or prevent leakages past masking lines as well as i would want. I often have to eat crow and ask for help. It happens.....

I have been too chicken and unsatisfied with my work to even try competition as yet. Am about to attempt my first with the upcominhg GB 13. I know i am going to crash and burn, but I will still have a go. Its a very calming and interesting hobby. i am going to keep trying.

One final note....the guys here are amongst the best in the world. You should judge yourself against the best when you are just an average joe trying to survive.

Thanks, guys. I'm humbled and honored to have placed in the competition. All the entries were top notch, so I was very excited to see my name.

It was great fun, and I continue to learn so much along the way! Looking forward to the favorite aircraft build!

Many thanks to the Judges, participants and fellow place winners. Yep, Wayne's got it right - I need some company in Advanced. Who's up for it? :lol:

Cheers

Peter

Don't worry Lil boy I be in before long just seeing light at the end of a tunnel on another project for now :)

So it goes.
Chris, don't be so hard on yourself. it just takes time and patience. I built for 20 years before I started getting good at it. The two things that made a difference for me was buying my first airbrush, and my wife subscribing to a modeling magazine for a birthday present for me. It took a couple of years to get the hang of the airbrush, but I persisted and learned it. The magazines were an invaluable source of information on all the tricks of the trade, but you have something much better than that here. You have the whole model building community here at aircraft.net ready to help. If you're not sure how to do something, or how to deal with a problem, just ask and you'll get an answer.

So it goes.

Hay Chris, don't deny yourself mate you did good and as many have said, it take time and patience to perfect this modelling lark. Many of us have been at it for decades and were still learning and improving. Take my tip and don't try to do too much in one go. On your next build just make it simple and straight forward, forget the weathering and little extras just concentrate on getting the kit together in good order and to the best of your ability. But above all, take it nice and easy and don't be in a rush.

It's good to try out new stuff, but be sure to try it out on a piece of scrap plastic before you go live. If it don't work, nothing is messed up. If you feel a certain technique requires more practice, keep working on it on scrap models and things until you feel confident you can use it to good effect. There must be one or two kits lying around you could use as test subjects. Trying things that can be undone might also helpful (water soluble paints for a wash for example). Take your time to review your work. When I see folks hammering out kits in a factory like fashion I just can't see how that can be fun (but that may just be me) plus it doesn't allow one to look up possible flaws/mistakes one has made. And if indeed if a mistake or flaw slips through the cracks, so be it, just remember it's only a few pieces of plastic and there is no such thing as a perfect model (dare I say it, not even for the pro-builders out there. I bet when they review their own work, they too end up finding things they could have done better or different)

I also tend to think this hobby is not about comparing to others. Why are you into this? For your your own fun I presume? I'm in this game for me. I like GB's and builds with a theme and all, but I like building models foremost, so in all honesty I could care less about winning a GB (plus my pace and planning in general are such that I rarely finish a GB project in time anyway and this GB is no different :oops:) , as long as I had fun building whatever it is I'm building.

Plus, take advantage of what might well be the biggest advancement in model building of the last decade or so. The ability to share your work with others and get comments/tips etc. from experiened people all around the world in no time. Hell, ask around whenm your facing a certain problem with a build. With so many experienced builders gathered in places like these you should be able to gather up useful information really quickly. I'm sure the people hanging' out in places such as these are more then willing share their thoughts on how to handle a certain step or problem. After all, what can be more fun then to have some exchange of information going on with a bunch of like-minded aviation nutters.

Thanks, guys. I'm humbled and honored to have placed in the competition. All the entries were top notch, so I was very excited to see my name.

It was great fun, and I continue to learn so much along the way! Looking forward to the favorite aircraft build!

:) I agree and think the same... Very exciting and great learning experience. Thank you to those whose voted for me, thank you all and thanks particulary to the webmasters and moderators of WW2aircraft.net

Users who are viewing this thread

Back